• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

FSLink

Banned
what the fuck is that?

I guess there isn't a huge fanbase for her so we don't have to worry about vocal fans pushing for her when* Marvel 4 is announced.

* I still believe

Village

If no one gives a crap about Venom/Gambit then why did they put Venom/Gambit in Marvel Super Heroes as playable characters?

One, I said people actually care about veneom.

Hell they even made him a different person to justify him being good. They gave him guns, that sounds dumb right? Its fucking amazing.

Also are you talking about the capcom game?
It was the 90's the x men were hot. They ain't so hot no more.

Busaiku

Venom's still relevant these days.
Gambit's in various X-Men comics, but I dunno if he even does anything.

Plus Venom will always be relevant since every decade we'll get a Spider-Man movie series reboot, and thus, Venom again.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Venom's still relevant these days.
Gambit's in various X-Men comics, but I dunno if he even does anything.

Plus Venom will always be relevant since every decade we'll get a Spider-Man movie series reboot, and thus, Venom again.
Gambit also has his own series ATM (though it may have ended recently?)
its shit

...that was nearly 20 years ago. C'mon, man.

I meant Marvel Heroes... the Diablo game.
There's a weird double standard when it comes to Marvel. When Capcom is making a game, Marvel needs to control every goddamn facet of the creative process. Dr. Strange's moveset has measure up in every single way with the way they want it to be. Capcom can only use characters from a pre-approved list. Then EA, or some other shitty company, gets the license, and they make a horrendous game with half-assed portrayals of any character they want from the Marvel IP.

The whole thing honestly makes me think that Marvel has issues with Japanese developers or something. Or maybe Capcom is just awful at negotiating.

Dahbomb

...that was nearly 20 years ago. C'mon, man.
I am talking about Marvel Heroes man.

Didn't Gambit/Venom make up 2 of the top 3 in just about every "Marvel vs. Capcom 3 DLC wishlist" poll taken?
Gambit and Venom definitely topped the list but you also have to realize where the polls were taken... usually on game sites or on Capcom's own site where it's populated by fans of the series rather than fans of just Marvel comic characters. Those people were obviously going to favor those two characters because they were in previous VS games. Cyclops, Psylock, Cable, Ms.Marvel, Emma Stone, Scarlet Witch definitely topped the lists too.

I used Gambit and Venom as examples because they were present in MVC1.. the first one which only had like 15-16 characters. I feel like if anything MVC3 should've had the cast of MVC1 and built upon that. The omission of characters like Jin and Captain Commando is definitely painful. I can understand replacing Zangief with Haggar though.

Or maybe Capcom is just awful at negotiating.
And bingo was his name-o.

Also Marvel Heroes is actually pretty decent now. And you know how Marvel Heroes has gotten good? They negotiated the contract so that they can make changes/addition to the game for a really long ass time. If they didn't negotiate that part of the game then Marvel Heroes would've died on arrival last year.

There's a weird double standard when it comes to Marvel. When Capcom is making a game, Marvel needs to control every goddamn facet of the creative process. Dr. Strange's moveset has measure up in every single way with the way they want it to be. Capcom can only use characters from a pre-approved list. Then EA, or some other shitty company, gets the license, and they make a horrendous game with half-assed portrayals of any character they want from the Marvel IP.

The whole thing honestly makes me think that Marvel has issues with Japanese developers or something. Or maybe Capcom is just awful at negotiating.

Marvel Heroes is actually pretty fun now I have to admit. I was actually surprised at how much content they added and a lot of qol stuff changed from Beta.

Gaz is the company behind Marvel Heroes and they actually have to contact Marvel about every detail too. In fact you can check the forums and even gaf and they are releasing Silver Surfer this week IIRC. Gaz actually had to delay it a bit to get the okay from Marvel. Since SS used a bunch of different beams throughout his history, they made a bunch and sent them to Marvel who will okay the ones that are canon.

Kimosabae

Banned
Well, Capcom is Capcom and EA is EA.

How much leverage do you think Capcom has as a publisher to negotiate with a license like Marvel?

Silky

Banned

How much leverage do you think Capcom has as a publisher to negotiate with a license like Marvel?

If an indie company like Double Fine can negotiate with Disney to get an obscure adventure game back in the market than dammit Capcom can talk with Disney to get some Marvel shit done.

It's not as if Disney is willingly going to ignore the legacy both Capcom and Marvel/Capcom and Disney have with each other (Capcom's responsible for a lot of great Disney games.).

Dahbomb

Less than Activision and EA... that's for sure.

The Marvel IP has kinda blown up since the release of MVC3. Avengers wasn't even out when UMVC3 was out. It's going to be harder for Capcom to get that license back and even if they did I would imagine that Marvel would be even more controlling than before.

All of these discussion points lead back to one thing.... that Capcom should just stop pursuing this license and instead make a Capcom All Stars. It's really the best way they can actually leverage their IPs/characters like Megaman. I mean they aren't going to be making a big MM game so might as well leverage his marketability in a game where it actually helps out... in a fan service character fighting game.

Compbros

Gambit and Venom definitely topped the list but you also have to realize where the polls were taken... usually on game sites or on Capcom's own site where it's populated by fans of the series rather than fans of just Marvel comic characters. Those people were obviously going to favor those two characters because they were in previous VS games. Cyclops, Psylock, Cable, Ms.Marvel, Emma Stone, Scarlet Witch definitely topped the lists too. .

Ms. Marvel was top 3-5 in some of those "fans of the series" polls over characters in previous games like a Cable, Cyclops or Psylocke so I think it's just as much "I'm a fan of X and want them in" as "they were awesome in previous games and I want them back". I think people just wanted Gambit/Venom.

I seriously hate the controls in Marvel Heroes. I have to remember to uninstall it later today.

The controls are better than other arpgs, though if you are meaning feedback like Diablo 3 has then I agree. It's pretty easy since you can swap hotbars so you aren't limited in your number of skills like D3 and you can even use the Function keys to change your right click skill like D2. It's pretty straight forward to me but Diablo 3 definitely does have the best feedback from any arpg out atm.

The controls are better than other arpgs, though if you are meaning feedback like Diablo 3 has then I agree. It's pretty easy since you can swap hotbars so you aren't limited in your number of skills like D3 and you can even use the Function keys to change your right click skill like D2. It's pretty straight forward to me but Diablo 3 definitely does have the best feedback from any arpg out atm.

No, I meant using the mouse for movement. I wish there were some sort of controller option. :(

CPS2

All of these discussion points lead back to one thing.... that Capcom should just stop pursuing this license and instead make a Capcom All Stars. It's really the best way they can actually leverage their IPs/characters like Megaman. I mean they aren't going to be making a big MM game so might as well leverage his marketability in a game where it actually helps out... in a fan service character fighting game.
For realz. Then you avoid problems like the fast umvc3 retail release, and the game can stay supported. I really hope their next game plays similar to marvel anyway.

No, I meant using the mouse for movement. I wish there were some sort of controller option. :(

I see. Too bad the Ultimate Alliance series is pretty much dead. I loved playing the crap out of those games. This is sadly the closest that it can get, too bad there really isn't any couch co-op too.

I see. Too bad the Ultimate Alliance series is pretty much dead. I loved playing the crap out of those games. This is sadly the closest that it can get, too bad there really isn't any couch co-op too.

I just wanted something new to try since DFO is on hiatus until they open the Beta, and DCU's endgame bored me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

This was already explained.

Marvel varies it's quality control depending on how important the franchise is. Stuff like Infinity, MvC are bigger franchises than movie-tie-in-game-#454 or a low budget Yukes project or something (which Marvel doesn't do anymore). Not to mention, we already know that the Marvel licensing team was very fond of the MvC franchise (when you think about it, it's far and away one of the most successful uses of the Marvel IP in gaming).

Plus that EA game was pretty much just a prototype, I don't know how you can infer anything from that. Every time this discussion rolls around we have the same assumptions being presented but there are always enough exceptions when it comes to character choices or what they're trying to push. I'm sure everyone here is forgetting that Capcom still was allowed to submit a list of characters they wanted to Marvel, even if they weren't on Marvel's original list. This is not indifferent from anyone else trying to license/protect their IPs.

Marvel Heroes is actually pretty fun now I have to admit. I was actually surprised at how much content they added and a lot of qol stuff changed from Beta.

Gaz is the company behind Marvel Heroes and they actually have to contact Marvel about every detail too. In fact you can check the forums and even gaf and they are releasing Silver Surfer this week IIRC. Gaz actually had to delay it a bit to get the okay from Marvel. Since SS used a bunch of different beams throughout his history, they made a bunch and sent them to Marvel who will okay the ones that are canon.
Interesting and good to know - what about character selection, though?

If I were Marvel, I would be thrilled that a company that makes games with as much quality as Capcom does wanted to use my license. There's so much crap out there under the Marvel license. Capcom makes Marvel characters look good. No other developer out there has created legitimate fan followings of Marvel characters that did not exist before.

This was already explained.

Marvel varies it's quality control depending on how important the franchise is. Stuff like Infinity, MvC are bigger franchises than movie-tie-in-game-#454 or a low budget Yukes project or something (which Marvel doesn't do anymore). Not to mention, we already know that the Marvel licensing team was very fond of the MvC franchise (when you think about it, it's far and away one of the most successful uses of the Marvel IP in gaming).

Plus that EA game was pretty much just a prototype, I don't know how you can infer anything from that.
Well, Marvel exercised so much control that Capcom apparently doesn't want to work with them anymore. Congratulations to them. Personally, when I like a franchise, I try not to kill it. That's just me, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, Marvel exercised so much control that Capcom apparently doesn't want to work with them anymore. Congratulations to them. Personally, when I like a franchise, I try not to kill it. That's just me, though.
I don't see any evidence of this. They would love to patch it, they would love to do an MvC4 some day.

At this point, I would just like an interview with Chris Baker or whoever runs Marvel game licensing nowadays. We'll still get the run around I bet, but there is so much misinformation out there about their licensing, I'd just like the official word on things. I think people trying to graft movie licensing and creating their own assumptions about Marvel reeling back all their IPs and their future goals has created some pretty baseless doom and gloom about the use of the IP. MvC falls very much in line with their new licensing goals and the connected gaming universe stuff is almost assuredly them being coy about Infinity, especially considering other, recent gaming pursuits.

MvC4 will happen, but it's not Marvel choking them right now, and they probably won't choke them 6 years from now when Capcom thinks that they can leverage resources to follow-up Street Fighter V.

Interesting and good to know - what about character selection, though?

It's pretty good atm and they are planning to add more. A lot of staples like Spider-man, Iron man, the X-Men like Cyclops, Storm, Jean Gray, Psylocke, Gambit, etc. And even others who really don't show up in games often like Black Panther, Luke Cage, Loki, Moon Knight. Soon to be 37 heroes total.

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/ (You can see all who is available here)

There are 9 starter heroes to choose from and you can only choose 1 at the beginning. To unlock more you either pay or farm shards and heroes cost 200-600 of them (usually the other starters are 200 but if you really want to play them, you can make another account). It's really not that hard to get the shards unless if you really really really want someone and can't wait. But if you just play the characters as you level them you should save up enough to buy a random hero by the time you to gear them out.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
if anyone's interested in the state of american vf in terms of skill level tonight should be a good showcase of some of our best players. denkai and rodnutz are both old as fuck and have been playing vf since before VF1 even came out, and tonight they're duking it out on blackstar's stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/BLACKSTAR_GA

should start soon.

this happens every Sunday, might be worth adding to the OP? i'll be competing in one soon.

I don't see any evidence of this. They would love to patch it, they would love to do an MvC4 some day.

At this point, I would just like an interview with Chris Baker or whoever runs Marvel game licensing nowadays. We'll still get the run around I bet, but there is so much misinformation out there about their licensing, I'd just like the official word on things. I think people trying to graft movie licensing and creating their own assumptions about Marvel reeling back all their IPs and their future goals has created some pretty baseless doom and gloom about the use of the IP. MvC falls very much in line with their new licensing goals and the connected gaming universe stuff is almost assuredly them being coy about Infinity, especially considering other, recent gaming pursuits.

MvC4 will happen, but it's not Marvel choking them right now, and they probably won't choke them 6 years from now when Capcom thinks that they can leverage resources to follow-up Street Fighter V.
You can't simultaneously believe that Marvel holds all the power in the licensing relationship and that Capcom is holding everything back. It certainly wasn't Capcom that forced Marvel games and DLC off of e-stores.

It's pretty good atm and they are planning to add more. A lot of staples like Spider-man, Iron man, the X-Men like Cyclops, Storm, Jean Gray, Psylocke, Gambit, etc. And even others who really don't show up in games often like Black Panther, Luke Cage, Loki, Moon Knight. Soon to be 37 heroes total.

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/ (You can see all who is available here)

There are 9 starter heroes to choose from and you can only choose 1 at the beginning. To unlock more you either pay or farm shards and heroes cost 200-600 of them (usually the other starters are 200 but if you really want to play them, you can make another account). It's really not that hard to get the shards unless if you really really really want someone and can't wait. But if you just play the characters as you level them you should save up enough to buy a random hero by the time you to gear them out.
No no, I mean this: why didn't Capcom get free reign?

Riposte

Hitokage hates online spoiler culture almost as much as Ripose hates Nintensexuals.

Don't dare accuse me of being nintenphobic, that's libel, some of my most occasionally familiar message board acquaintances are nintensexuals.

I support spoiler warnings, even for rosters, if that's what people want.

As bad as that sounds for Capcom, I really liked the end result. Not only were character implemented in awesome ways, they went into interesting places in the Marvel universe instead stuffing the game with X-Men and symbiote users. Don't know if Marvel deserves all the credit though, since Capcom did justice to their own IP as well.

Haha, thinking back to the old pre-release days, remember the "not enough girls" rants by what-his-name? Despite the fact Marvel was at least average in that respect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can't simultaneously believe that Marvel holds all the power in the licensing relationship and that Capcom is holding everything back. It certainly wasn't Capcom that forced Marvel games and DLC off of e-stores.
What does that have to do with Capcom not wanting to work with them anymore, which there is no indication of?

Capcom can only leverage so much. No matter what the power balance is, if Marvel says no because it requires a new agreement on an age-old title and license than has shown diminishing returns over time in the digital and retail space (and suffered damage to the brand in the first follow-up title), then it's a no. That's business. I've always said, a Marvel patch would be nice, but it makes little business sense considering all the shifts we saw mid-2011 that even resulted in UMvC3 being what it is.

There isn't even any evidence that Capcom really even tried to contact Marvel about a patch, despite wanting one. Even before we get to that point, I think the big issue that Capcom has cited has been the lack of resources available to pursue a patch, considering the team was dissolved and project leads/talent went elsewhere. For all we know Marvel is the least of our worries.

As bad as that sounds for Capcom, I really liked the end result. Not only were character implemented in awesome ways, they went into interesting places in the Marvel universe instead stuffing the game with X-Men and symbiote users. Don't know if Marvel deserves all the credit though, since Capcom did justice to their own IP as well.

Haha, thinking back to the old pre-release days, remember the "not enough girls" rants by what-his-name? Despite the fact Marvel was at least average in that respect.
Yep, MvC3 in general had fantastic roster choices and I agree with the way they approached character selection in general, outside of a few givens that didn't make it in and hurt the game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
if anyone's interested in the state of american vf in terms of skill level tonight should be a good showcase of some of our best players. denkai and rodnutz are both old as fuck and have been playing vf since before VF1 even came out, and tonight they're duking it out on blackstar's stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/BLACKSTAR_GA

should start soon.

this happens every Sunday, might be worth adding to the OP? i'll be competing in one soon.

it's happening

No no, I mean this: why didn't Capcom get free reign?

Well I don't know the answer to any licensing agreements, all I know is that it seems that everything pretty much has to go through Marvel for the okay. And as you guys can already said, it usually just ties in how Marvel wants that movie/comic synergy with their games as a marketing tool. Like Gazillion is reworking all their old heroes and Rocket Raccoon is up next, just in time for the GotG movie. And to tie it in with the GotG comic even further they are going to give RR the Thanos Buster mech as an ultimate, which is canon. Even spell effects have to go through the Marvel process, they will probably throw a fit if Psylocke didn't have her butterflies right and they were red.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At these times I feel like making a Marvel licensing FAQ just because of how much misinformation there is out there. I wish I still had all of my bookmarks from before I reformatted my computer, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The cloud, bro.
I've given up on Firefox Sync and Siphon and about 10 other nebulous solutions I've tried that bite me in the ass somewhow.

BTW, I've had this post open on my to-do list to reply to but I never got around to it because this thread and week blew up so fast. Just wanted to say that I wasn't really criticizing, but looking for clarification for what OFL is and where it's going. I think I have a slightly clearer idea of the direction you're going (and what it is right now with respect to providing tools that augment different parts of the community). Hopefully whatever the next "crowning jewel" is, it will have a significant interactive component with the community.

Something cool I've been thinking about is a live voting/interaction app, sort of like how you guys did with Capcom Cup. Recently, I've seen theatres have quizzes and polls that you can interact with on your phone while you're waiting for a movie to start, and I think that would be an awesome thing you could implement for people at the venue and at home to use to feed commentators and streamers information to use before the next match goes up. Providing a toolset or an API to TOs and streamers (maybe even to directly integrate into the stream) to use would be cool, and perhaps one that doesn't force them to use twitter either.

Dahbomb

Karst are you asking about character selection in Marvel Heroes?

It's quite excellent now actually. Big cast to choose from although only a portion of them are available at the start (have to unlock the other ones).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Marvel Heroes is unfortunately the game that made me realize various elements of the MMO (and ARPG/Diablo-like) experience that make it addictive for others don't do anything for me, namely the loot itch, which drives me until a certain point where I stop caring altogether, and having big multiplayer areas where you will never interact with 99% of the other people.

It's also the only F2P game I've bought paid currency for to buy Iron Man. Only to get bored of the game a few weeks later and drop it. I think I still have a chunk of paid currency sitting there (unless it's expired or some BS). This was a long time ago though, I want to give 2015 a shot but it seems like it's going to be pretty hard to account for everything they've changed since, which appears to be a LOT.

GooeyHeat

Sorry to interrupt the Marvel hype, but quick dumb question: Does anybody know if one can still find Darkstalkers Resurrection matches on PSN with any consistency?

Top Bottom