• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

kirblar

Here's the "rigor" devoted to creating a competitive scene for a game.

"Hey, want to play a tournament?"
"Sure, lets organize it!"

If it's fun, people will keep playing. If it's got problems (SFxT), it'll lose them.

"Competitive Viability" is really "How similar to melee?"

Kimosabae

Banned
Kirblir, you're the last person I'd expect to know anything about how competitive scenes actually interact.

No one even said a thing about "competitive viability".

Sayah

Because you very apparently are ignorant of the rigor involved in developing and furthering the competitive Smash scene. It's not dissimilar to the level of analytical scrutiny a game like Tekken gets at all, and the only reason someone would think otherwise is that they are ignorant of the dedication involved in breaking down a Smash game's mechanics relative to Tekken.

I didn't even mention Tekken outside of talking about the Tekken Tag 2 Wii U version in this entire discussion. You're entirely assuming my perspective without me having said anything. I, in fact, brought up UMvC3 and how the discussion would differ in a UMvC3 thread vs. a Smash Bros. thread. Thanks for paying attention.

Super Smash Bros. is very simple to play and very easy to pick up. But if you want to bring up outside games and make comparisons, then yes, Tekken and UMvC3 both have more advanced mechanics and a lot lot loooott more to learn than the Smash Bros. series. These games are not on an equilibrium basis as you are assuming as far as mechanics go and they will clearly not have equal amount of time, attention, and scrutiny given to the mechanics.

Thanks again for assuming things. This pretty much tells me I shouldn't bother with this discussion anymore.

Kimosabae

Banned
I didn't even mention Tekken outside of talking about the Tekken Tag 2 Wii U version in this entire discussion.

In contrast, I would have endless things to say for Tekken.

That's where Tekken came in.

Super Smash Bros. is very simple to play and very easy to pick up. But if you want to bring up outside games and make comparisons, then yes, Tekken and UMvC3 both have more advanced mechanics and a lot lot loooott more to learn than the Smash Bros. series. These games are not on an equilibrium basis as you are assuming as far as mechanics go and they will clearly not have equal amount of time, attention, and scrutiny given to the mechanics.

I'm not looking to tier anything in terms of depth and complexity. You are. This ill-defined "equilibrium" you mentioned doesn't exist for anyone that thinks about this topic with a respectable level of sophistication.

Thanks again for assuming things. This pretty much tells me I shouldn't bother with this discussion anymore.

Fine with me.

Malice215

Who are you referring to here? I doubt Leixia and Xiba are more popular than Kilik and Xianghua.

I'm referring to the people who actually play the game and what characters that they use. I don't like Xiba, but there's people that do such as those who are new to SCV. For example Xiba is the character Justin Wong started using when he picked up the game.

You are going to see those who want to be upset about xx being gone while skipping the fact that most create their own character within the game to use which is why so much work is put into that system. But I'm not heartbroken over the character cuts because from my perspective we have more people playing SCV now than we did for the 2 previous games, there's more players of the new characters than there were of their previous incarnations, plus there's two additional SC games that are out that someone can play if they're really heartbroken over a character that's not in SCV.

But it's not about the characters. It's the lack of casual fanservice that people are tight about because they have no interest in SCV as a fighting game.

Sayah

That's where Tekken came in.

You're basing my entire "warped" perspective towards Tekken based on a single sentence where I mention what advice I would have to give for Smash Bros. vs. for Tekken to a new player. Wow.

I'm not looking to tier anything in terms of depth and complexity. You are. This ill-defined "equilibrium" you mentioned doesn't exist for anyone that thinks about this topic with a respectable level of sophistication.

Oh really?

Because you very apparently are ignorant of the rigor involved in developing and furthering the competitive Smash scene. It's not dissimilar to the level of analytical scrutiny a game like Tekken gets at all, and the only reason someone would think otherwise is that they are ignorant of the dedication involved in breaking down a Smash game's mechanics relative to Tekken.

Yeah, thanks. I'm done with this.

Azure J

You shouldn't be going into a Smash GAF thread because it's going to be made up mostly of hardcore Nintendo fanboys who care more about XYZ obscure Nintendo character making into the game than talking about the game play. There are in fact some GAFers who don't like the competitive aspect of Smash and would rather Nintendo just ignore it altogether.

You should go to dedicated Smash forums outside of GAF that specialize in the competitive aspect of the games. You will get better help there than here.

Erm...

What if you go into the Smash GAF thread to discuss the kind of play styles that the former roster lack while realizing that character XYZ has the best chance of representing that style of play?

*inches closer to the exit just in case*

Dahbomb

Generalizing is labeling the entire Smash Bros. thread members as casual fans that only care about XYZ characters making it into the game.
For the record I didn't say that everyone in the Smash Bros. thread are like that... I said most of them are like that.

You CAN potentially get some help from the Smash GAF thread but not right now... not when the game is about to be released and the roster is still up in the air. The only time you will get some legitimate Smash help is when the game is released and the Smash thread is moved to the Community section where the casuals don't wander.

k4n3

Banned
i gave up on sf4 some time before AE but got it for some reason idk why maybe out of habit... and i was going to make a stand to not buy ultra but i hear juri is like top tier now and she was my main since super and im conflicted lol

Sup guys, enjoy Dreamhack? I expect you all went in on me getting bodied by 2Pac.

I ultimately got eliminated by a Swedish Sagat player. Sucks. Played vs quite a few people in casuals, though, and I learned a bunch.

Need to polish up my gameplay. :/

The Smash thread isn't any different from the pre-release Marvel thread. You cant get people to talk about netcode without bribing them.

Onemic

Sup guys, enjoy Dreamhack? I expect you all went in on me getting bodied by 2Pac.

I ultimately got eliminated by a Swedish Sagat player. Sucks. Played vs quite a few people in casuals, though, and I learned a bunch.

did you face gandhi? :p

Riposte

The level headed thing to do would've been to not post in that thread at all. It was clearly a fangasm thread and people didn't want their hype derailed.
Late, but yes, you are probably right. I regret how that thread turned out, even if I stand by what I said. I should have briefly said exactly what I meant in one post and exited.

Is the current discussion about people underestimating the mobility and space control of Melee?

Astarte

Why are you guys even engaging in these circular arguments? It's obvious that your opinions are too strong to be swayed by another person, so you'll say what's on your mind and be in a huff when that person responds. You guys know this, you aren't dumb.

At least you didn't get Gandhi'd :y

I know I am generalizing but I was just making it clear that I didn't say EVERYONE in the Smash thread is like that. That's an important distinction right there.

I'm sure the Marvel vs Capcom 3 OT was like that shit too

fanservice fighters, bright shiny colors, it draws in casuals. There are lot more of them they dudes posting on SRK with Marth avatars and getting into increasingly passive-aggressive arguments with people about them not knowing Smash Bros.

kirblar

You need safejump->block setups. :( You were getting read and reversaled all day long.

Didn't get Ghandi'd but I really need to polish up my game. I don't play technical at all - I try and brute force the matchups when I should be figuring out the tech to make my life easier. Rufus doesn't really have much though... Hmm.

Dreamhack is pretty godlike but I want people to travel with next time. Hanging out with the London players is cool but I always feel like I am imposing a bit.

EDIT: Point me towards some safe jump stuff with Rufus. Honestly I only know the 5f safe jump off back throw...

alstein

BTW I checked that Ultra 2 buff, It really is good now for Rufus. I wouldn't use Double with Rufus ever, but if you got a jumping bean opponent it might be worth trying in some matchups now. I think it's as good as it was in Super.

Why are you guys even engaging in these circular arguments? It's obvious that your opinions are too strong to be swayed by another person, so you'll say what's on your mind and be in a huff when that person responds. You guys know this, you aren't dumb.

It's more fun than actually playing the games. ^_^

pixelish

wge maintained the player cams for almost the entirety of the match because you were so into it. i love it when you were feeling yourself to viper's ultra 1 kick animation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You shouldn't be going into a Smash GAF thread because it's going to be made up mostly of hardcore Nintendo fanboys who care more about XYZ obscure Nintendo character making into the game than talking about the game play. There are in fact some GAFers who don't like the competitive aspect of Smash and would rather Nintendo just ignore it altogether.

You should go to dedicated Smash forums outside of GAF that specialize in the competitive aspect of the games. You will get better help there than here.

I'm pretty sure that we did same thing in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 OT, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and pretty much every fighting games. I don't see any problem with Pre-Release Hype Thread because it's all about hype. I'm pretty sure that you did same thing with your Vergil during MARVEL Hype phase.

Come on, I expect better from people in this thread because I followed this thread regularly even I don't post anything that much.

Edited: I understand why people are saying that but I'm pretty sure there are high counts of people that would like to take Smash serious and competitive, like me. Right now, other forums were pretty bad because they are overtaken by negative nannies.

Anyway, here is the bonus picture.

BGuwLkz.jpg

Riposte

The Marvel fan service situation was definitely similar and annoying at the time (how things have changed...), but I'm going to say Smash is at least slightly worse due to the anticompetitive and Nintensexuals elements being aggressively simple and perving things up, respectively.

Thores

Hey guys, me and my roommate are about to start streaming for a few hours. We're really excited about Mortal Kombat X, so we're gonna be playing some MK9 and Injustice while we talk about that, and E3 in general. Should be fun!

Let's Pals

Dahbomb

Yes the Marvel 3 OT was like that too pre-release. That's why no one actually seriously talked about mechanics in the thread because no one had actually played it yet. And it was pointless to go in the thread to ask for help about Marvel games in general. It wasn't until after the game's release that the discussion became more focused on game play over roster discussions. I was actually one of the few people who tried to talk about the mechanics and general character strength but it was always brought down with "well you haven't played the game so stop theory fighting crafting".

So that is why I am saying it's not much worth it to go into Smash 4 threads pre-release for help on how to play a Smash game because no seriously discussion about mechanics is going to take place there. Wait until after the game is released and the thread is moved to Community.

Nintensexuals elements being aggressively simple and perving things up, respectively.
I lol'd!

Tell us how you REALLY feel Ripose!

There are lot more of them they dudes posting on SRK with Marth avatars and getting into increasingly passive-aggressive arguments with people about them not knowing Smash Bros.
Shots fired?

Shots Fired.

No, they just got mad about Capcom's shit selection(NO MEGA MAN!? NO VERGIL!? WHO ASKED FOR BLACK BIONIC COMMANDO AND TRISH!?) and hated on Lupinko

No, they just got mad about Capcom's shit selection(NO MEGA MAN!? NO VERGIL!? WHO ASKED FOR BLACK BIONIC COMMANDO AND TRISH!?) and hated on Lupinko

Marvel selection too.

Why aren't there any spider-man villains?

Where's gambit?

The hate for Sentinel's reveal led to pretty much the same anticompetitive sentiment Riposte is talking about.

Roster... spoilers? I don't understand.

They like the surprise of finding out that a character made it in, when they didn't know they would.

They lose that surprise when a thread title says "Greninja announced for Smash 4" instead of "New Smash 4 Characters announced (Spoilers)" to make media blackouts easier.

It doesn't matter to me (unless it's something story related like Cyber Sub-Zero, or something outlandish or unexpected (the 3rd party Smash characters could have applied for this, but it also makes sense to advertise them)).

Dahbomb

People hating on Sentinel's inclusion had nothing to do with anti-competitive sentiment... people just didn't like that "character".

Yea there was roster bitching in Marvel threads but people didn't go out of their way to dump on the competitive aspect of the Marvel series. Like there was no one in the pre Marvel threads saying that wave dashing should be removed from Marvel 3 because it wasn't casual friendly .

Negaduck

I remember when the roster for umvc3 got leaked. I actually made a jpeg with all the characters that I saw used around the Internet a decent bit.

People hating on Sentinel's inclusion had nothing to do with anti-competitive sentiment... people just didn't like that "character".

Yea there was roster bitching in Marvel threads but people didn't go out of their way to dump on the competitive aspect of the Marvel series. Like there was no one in the pre Marvel threads saying that wave dashing should be removed from Marvel 3 because it wasn't casual friendly .

It was the same. The reveal trailer had MSS at the beginning and every casual poster there said that capcom shouldn't cater to competitive players who only make up 1% of the buying base.

Some people were certainly mad that a "slot was wasted" on a character because of that character's popularity among the competitive niche (as opposed to being included due to series story relevance or general fan populace popularity).

Dahbomb

If people said that then that was pretty dumb. I always thought the complaints about Sentinel were more towards "this is not even a real character to use up a slot on".

The MSS reveal was pretty cool. Did people hate on Mango Sentinel and Deadpool's Yipes references as well?

If people said that then that was pretty dumb. I always thought the complaints about Sentinel were more towards "this is not even a real character to use up a slot on".

The MSS reveal was pretty cool. Did people hate on Mango Sentinel and Deadpool's Yipes references as well?
The "not a real character" is just a way to complain while hiding anger towards the competitive community. Just as anti-casuals will get angry about roster discussions.

Even casuals liked the Deadpool Hopes reference.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
My god that last frank west combo in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKVwEZAh4pw

Pretty cool, time to implement that into my B team.

well this is random

I've been there, the salt is real.

We eSports now.

Guys, so much salt over melee, like GOD DAMN. Go watch some anime and chillax, the game hasn't even come out yet. This is gonna become of anime versus marvel versus melee.

Top Bottom