• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Sheroking

Clearly Disney wants an overall deal similar to the one they struck with EA on Star Wars, no?

I don't see how Capcom could possibly figure in that equation.

Karst are you asking about character selection in Marvel Heroes?

It's quite excellent now actually. Big cast to choose from although only a portion of them are available at the start (have to unlock the other ones).
I was wondering why Marvel Heroes gets to use whoever, but Capcom gets a pre-approved list.

Marvel Heroes is unfortunately the game that made me realize various elements of the MMO (and ARPG/Diablo-like) experience that make it addictive for others don't do anything for me, namely the loot itch, which drives me until a certain point where I stop caring altogether, and having big multiplayer areas where you will never interact with 99% of the other people.

It's also the only F2P game I've bought paid currency for to buy Iron Man. Only to get bored of the game a few weeks later and drop it. I think I still have a chunk of paid currency sitting there (unless it's expired or some BS). This was a long time ago though, I want to give 2015 a shot but it seems like it's going to be pretty hard to account for everything they've changed since, which appears to be a LOT.
Loot grinds have never interested me, but character development and customization does. If the loot gives me new and interesting ways to experience my character, then it interests me. Pure stats suck, though.

I was wondering why Marvel Heroes gets to use whoever, but Capcom gets a pre-approved list.

Maybe Capcom didn't really care that much. Sentinel is in even though there's no real reason for him to be. And Shuma got in because we know Capcom has a hard-on for animating him. So, maybe they could have had a lot of flexibility with the roster, but chose not to exercise it.

Maybe Capcom didn't really care that much. Sentinel is in even though there's no real reason for him to be. And Shuma got in because we know Capcom has a hard-on for animating him. So, maybe they could have had a lot of flexibility with the roster, but chose not to exercise it.
Capcom reps have continually said that's not the case, though. Especially with Ultimate, Marvel gave them the list of every single character they wanted to be included, with no wiggle room.

Xevren

Marvel Heroes is unfortunately the game that made me realize various elements of the MMO (and ARPG/Diablo-like) experience that make it addictive for others don't do anything for me, namely the loot itch, which drives me until a certain point where I stop caring altogether, and having big multiplayer areas where you will never interact with 99% of the other people.

It's also the only F2P game I've bought paid currency for to buy Iron Man. Only to get bored of the game a few weeks later and drop it. I think I still have a chunk of paid currency sitting there (unless it's expired or some BS). This was a long time ago though, I want to give 2015 a shot but it seems like it's going to be pretty hard to account for everything they've changed since, which appears to be a LOT.

Did you play since Iron Man got his rework? At a minimum it'd be worth it to try him out again, he's not god awful like he was a year ago.

Loot grinds have never interested me, but character development and customization does. If the loot gives me new and interesting ways to experience my character, then it interests me. Pure stats suck, though.

Gaz still has to get everything approved from Marvel, right now they're working on Silver Surfer and Marvel has been making them go back to work on him again and again so he's been delayed. We kinda know who's coming for the rest of the year at least.

Loot is still mainly just stats, doesn't really open up depth with what you get. Skill tree's have good variety so you typically don't see cookie cutters except for some of the older characters that have yet to be reviewed.

Dahbomb

Yea even in Marvel Heroes they have to get approval from Marvel. Characters like Sentinel and Shuma aren't playable (in MVC they were playable because Capcom HEAVILY requested for them to be in).

Also Marvel Heroes has far more wiggle room to choose characters because they simply have more slots. UMVC3 only has 25 slots where as Marvel Heroes has 35+ slots (and growing).

Capcom reps have continually said that's not the case, though. Especially with Ultimate, Marvel gave them the list of every single character they wanted to be included, with no wiggle room.

Capcom says a lot of things.

But, I believe that Marvel could have given them a list and said "This is who needs to be in the game," but I don't believe there was no room for negotiation at all, because like I said, Sent and Shuma. I don't follow Marvel that actively. Is there anyone else that could qualify as Capcom's requests?

Dahbomb

So this week's thread title is Pikachu related? Or Megaman related?

As far as Capcom's own requests go I think it was just Sentinel and Shuma. MAYBE Phoenix with the Jean Grey version. Not sure on who requested Super Skrull, that seems like one that could've been negotiated on as the Fantastic Four rep. None of the new ones in UMVC3 seemed like they were ones that Capcom would've wanted, they all seemed like future cross promotion.

jbug617

Banned
Clearly Disney wants an overall deal similar to the one they struck with EA on Star Wars, no?

I don't see how Capcom could possibly figure in that equation.

I think the dark horse for a Marvel licenses agreement would be WB. They already did the Lego game but imagine if NRS could pull off DC vs Marvel. That game would sell so much. Then you can have Rocksteady make Marvel games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
By the way, I found the article where Sven breaks down why an UMvC3 update doesn't make business sense.

Found the source for this too. Doesn't imply that they had no wiggle room, they just agreed with it. Seems like similar circumstances to MvC3 decisions.

Did you play since Iron Man got his rework? At a minimum it'd be worth it to try him out again, he's not god awful like he was a year ago
I quit the game shortly after they added splinters, so I think not? I wasn't really bored with Iron Man necessarily, just with the game mechanics primarily.

Found the source for this too. Doesn't imply that they had no wiggle room, they just agreed with it. Seems like similar circumstances to MvC3 decisions.

I’m sorry, there is no Mega Man in Ultimate. We had a lot of requests from fans for Mega Man or at least one of them to be in the game. Out of all of the requests we got for Capcom characters, he just didn’t enter the top part of the ranking.

So, is Strider more popular than Mega Man? Or is this just Capcom saying things?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So, is Strider more popular than Mega Man? Or is this just Capcom saying things?
I think that same quote is exactly why people snapped on Capcom for not having him included. It is probably the most "Capcom" thing they have ever said.

That said, they were probably looking at it splintered between different Megaman + probably only polling from the small little bubble of ignorance we today call Japanese development.

i gave what the people wanted even tho squid-chan was so kawaii ;_;
Go back to squid-chan!

Compbros

Probably them saying things. It seems Capcom, or Marvel, did at least two characters of the studio's choice (Nemesis, Firebrand) instead of fan requests. Maybe you can even add Frank to that list but I remember quite a few requests from him. Regardless, Vergil, Stryder, and Phoenix Wright were HIGHLY requested and I don't think any of them were more requested than Megaman and maybe Gene.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Since it will inevitably lead to a lot of arguing, we'll vote for thread titles early. Vote below.

FGW | ITS PIKACHU

JDdelphin

Probably them saying things. It seems Capcom, or Marvel, did at least two characters of the studio's choice (Nemesis, Firebrand) instead of fan requests. Maybe you can even add Frank to that list but I remember quite a few requests from him. Regardless, Vergil, Stryder, and Phoenix Wright were HIGHLY requested and I don't think any of them were more requested than Megaman and maybe Gene.

...dafuq is gene?

Dahbomb

...dafuq is gene?
This bad ass mutha fucker right here:

3675875-godhandgene.png

Dahbomb

Would have been a nice send off to put him in UMvC3 because we will never ever see him again. RIP Gene
Gene's inclusion in MVC3 made much more sense than either Joe or Amaterasu (even though I thought those were excellent inclusions). They should've gone all the way with the Clover Studios inclusions.

Gene's movelist would've made Dante blush.

Sorry to interrupt the Marvel hype, but quick dumb question: Does anybody know if one can still find Darkstalkers Resurrection matches on PSN with any consistency?

That's a big, fat no. It took me less time to respond to you than it would take to find a random match in that game anymore.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You already know the thread title enzo!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR PIKACHUS! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Top Bottom