• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2013: Wipe that print off your screen, next-gen is already here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

Has anyone compiled a list of games that show off the iPhone 5S? I'm finally letting my old iPhone 4 retire gracefully and I want some new gaming hotness to go with my new phone.

J0dy77

Final Fantasy IV dropped to $7.99, worth it?

I played the original way back, not sure how it runs on iOS and the updated graphics feel overall.

Goli

I played the original way back, not sure how it runs on iOS and the updated graphics feel overall.

Totally since the iOS version is based off the DS one which is great. An improvement in every way IMO. It runs pretty well on anything released after the iPhone 4.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Yes, it's worth that. This is one of the "actually good" FF remakes (unlike FFV), so if you haven't played IV for a while, go for it!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh wow, FFIV got a Brazilian Portuguese translation, this very uncommon for RPGs. Pretty cool. I actually can't think of a single RPG that has an official PT-BR translation, I never expected to see a Final Fantasy having one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Come on now, I enjoy checking out apps made by fellow gaffers

I was half joking, but I do think it's important to heed that fine line between sharing something with fellow members of the community, and just dropping some pics and links for your product. But I won't make a further stink about it, it's not a serious issue at the moment.

Nebur

I was half joking, but I do think it's important to heed that fine line between sharing something with fellow members of the community, and just dropping some pics and links for your product. But I won't make a further stink about it, it's not a serious issue at the moment.

I was so excited about the launch, too many months working ^_^

Anyway, if anyone it's interested I can share more info about the development days and not just share some pics and a link to the app.

Sorry for the possible misunderstanding : )

Heel

November 7th

Oceanhorn
Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies
Rayman: Fiesta Run
Autumn Dynasty: Warlords

V6S1RXl.png

igor

Oceanhorn is not coming on November 7th. It could be released on November 27th though.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3014372&postcount=734

Sorry to be that guy :(

That whole thing about the release date is stupid. Oceanhorn devs should just announce it than playing a really awkward hype game. Really annoys me.

I was really looking forward to the release. I'm still thinking of getting FF4 since I kinda want a good 'ol jRPG on my iPhone but then again i know DS version isn't exactly the best version of the game. And my backlog is shameful. Is it universal?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Tiny Death Star still stutters on a 5S once you have tons of floors earning coins, silly.

Started Tiny Tower up again, continuing from floor 78! :p

killercow

That whole thing about the release date is stupid. Oceanhorn devs should just announce it than playing a really awkward hype game. Really annoys me.

I was really looking forward to the release. I'm still thinking of getting FF4 since I kinda want a good 'ol jRPG on my iPhone but then again i know DS version isn't exactly the best version of the game. And my backlog is shameful. Is it universal?

Yup, FF IV is universal.

Here are my impressions of The Honeycomb
I think the number of IOS games I've discussed here has proven that beneath the well-known and best selling games on the App Store lies an expansive treasure trove of hidden gems and overlooked games. The Honeycomb is yet another fun experience that deserves your time and attention.

You play a brave fluff, trying to save his friends from the bees who have taken them. Your quest will take you through 60 levels of puzzle platforming, from the meadows to the forests and swamps and beyond. The emphasis is on puzzles; while you will be timing jumps and maneuvering through levels, you'll need to think to reach the end. Across each level, you'll find a number of different power-ups, ranging from different boosts to one that lets you break through certain barriers. You can carry three power-ups at a time and it's up to you to figure out the best ways to use them and in what order. The solution may not always be obvious; in the first world alone, there were moments when I was stumped. You may have to backtrack or use your abilities in unusual orders and it's this puzzle element that makes The Honeycomb such a rewarding experience.

The touch controls are tight and responsive, never obtrusive, and the art style has a cute drawn aesthetic that makes every world a joy to explore. Besides the 60 level campaign (not counting the hard-to-reach relics and the secret areas), the game also features an editor that allows you to create and share your own levels. You can purchase The Honeycomb for $0.99

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
SALES!!

XCOM EE is 50% off once again.

Costume Quest is 50% off as well, just in time for Halloween :)

Civilization Revolution is 99c

Limbo is like 75% off

Mr.Ock

Finally back on the iOS bandwagon! Tunesmith, I'm ending you a PM with my Game Center info. I don't play that much on iOS, but it will be nice to have some high scores to (fail to) beat!

Shaneus

Is X-COM worth $10.49 (in Australia)? I hear it's kind of a benchmark for the full-PC/console-ports-on-iOS thing, but wanted to be sure.

iPad 3, BTW.

Is X-COM worth $10.49 (in Australia)? I hear it's kind of a benchmark for the full-PC/console-ports-on-iOS thing, but wanted to be sure.

iPad 3, BTW.

I stopped playing after a few hours because it crashed so often. The port is amazing, and despite some janky clicking it really bodes well for complex games on the iPad (4th gen for me). The only real complaint was the regular crashing. Not sure if I was alone there.

killercow

I stopped playing after a few hours because it crashed so often. The port is amazing, and despite some janky clicking it really bodes well for complex games on the iPad (4th gen for me). The only real complaint was the regular crashing. Not sure if I was alone there.

They've released a patch last week that should fix those pesky crashes.

igor

Yeah I'd think twice before buying costume quest to be honest, I've been told it's a rather mediocre game, at least for ps3 gamers.

Not getting ff4 but decided to buy limbo and ravensword which is for a euro - always wanted to check it out.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Any games missing from the OP that should be there for October (post-DEVICE6)?

Dead Trigger 2? (seems competent!)
Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign - there was quite a lot of talk about this one earlier, looks cheap but was the gameplay compelling?

Been looking at the releases for the last two weeks. I had no idea ARC Squadron, a GAF favourite back in November 2012, got replaced by a F2P version, released on the 19th: ARC Squadron: Redux. The older version is no longer available.

(btw whoever it was that recommended Bike Baron, thank you. I'm hopelessly addicted to that game at the moment.)

Any games missing from the OP that should be there for October (post-DEVICE6)?

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign - there was quite a lot of talk about this one earlier, looks cheap but was the gameplay compelling?

I am having a very hard time focusing on tasks that are not playing Dark Reign. I'd absolutely include it if I were you.

Flunkie

Banned
Game of War is way too addictive. Can see how it's been #5 in the grossing charts for awhile.

Edit: Granted, I haven't spent any money on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom