• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2013: Wipe that print off your screen, next-gen is already here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

Cavemania finally updated and fixed their shitty IAP system. Advanced levels can be unlocked through play and not money.

It's a very nice match 3 game that has an extra layer of strategy involving resource collecting, building and fighting with enemies. If you are a fan of the genre, you will like it.

Was reading on Toucharcade, Jeff Weber's Krashlander is going to free this weekend (Fri-Sun). He's the creator of the Diver flash games too.

I highly recommend picking up Krashlander if you haven't yet. I loved Diver on Flash, and Krashlander takes the same control style but adds to a physics-based skiing alien killing game. It's hard and challenging but a lot of fun, and the dev has been pretty dedicated to working on updates and new content

s56gJzK.jpg
Bring it Marvel GAF!

Haven't spent a penny on IAP

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Congrats! I wish there was an OT for this game tho. So you guys think I should keep my lev6 Bagman and lev15 Classic Spidey even if I haven't had the chance to train them at all? I decided to ditch Juggy since my cards space us full and I don't feel like buying another spot so soon since I have 11 already.
Did they say anything about bringin' new powers for characters with only two specials? Got a maxed out Classic Hawkeye just sitting there...

Congrats! I wish there was an OT for this game tho. So you guys think I should keep my lev6 Bagman and lev15 Classic Spidey even if I haven't had the chance to train them at all? I decided to ditch Juggy since my cards space us full and I don't feel like buying another spot so soon since I have 11 already.
Did they say anything about bringin' new powers for characters with only two specials? Got a maxed out Classic Hawkeye just sitting there...
Bagman is so fuckin useless.

SmokyDave

CSR Classics has its hooks in me good 'n' proper. I thought I'd exhausted myself on the first game put I can't put Classics down.

It's been a long time, but there was a new license pack released today for jukebeat!

My Chemical Romance pack:
  • Helena
  • I'm Not Okay (I Promise)
  • Welcome to the Black Parade
  • Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)
There is also a new Niconico Music pack available for jubeat plus and REFLEC BEAT plus with four songs that should be very familiar to Project DIVA fans!

ToxicAdam

He totally isn't! His abilities are super usefull against HAMMER enemies.

Once I get all collect all my Spiderman covers/powers I want to try a Bagman/Spidey/Venom team. Just to see how that looks.

Bagman really could use one offensive power or an AP collecter, though.

Bring it Marvel GAF!

They must have multiple leaderboards, because mine is pretty different and the leader somehow has 304.

I noticed this in the last tournament, because I would face opponents that had hundreds more points than me but they were nowhere on my leaderboard when I was in the top ten.

I ditched Bagman as soon as I got him. I was a bit short on slots at the moment though. I've bought probably at least a dozen of the cheap covers with iso-8 and recruit tokens and I've only gotten Wolverine once; the rest are Storm/Hawkeye/etc who I've pretty much maxed already. Sigh.

I keep running into roadblocks and thinking "ok, I'm done with the game", and the next day they give out some juicy bonus or start an event that gives me a chance to grind new stuff (until I bump into high-rank people who have ridiculous paid characters). I still have no idea how to deal with Yelena Belova and her gang of thugs. She hits freakishly hard and the thugs keep spamming shots.

Minsc

Gold Member
I ditched Bagman as soon as I got him. I was a bit short on slots at the moment though. I've bought probably at least a dozen of the cheap covers with iso-8 and recruit tokens and I've only gotten Wolverine once; the rest are Storm/Hawkeye/etc who I've pretty much maxed already. Sigh.

I keep running into roadblocks and thinking "ok, I'm done with the game", and the next day they give out some juicy bonus or start an event that gives me a chance to grind new stuff (until I bump into high-rank people who have ridiculous paid characters). I still have no idea how to deal with Yelena Belova and her gang of thugs. She hits freakishly hard and the thugs keep spamming shots.

When it's just one AI the trick is to stun her, and just get lucky with your board. I routinely win the harder fights where there's no AI to play the board without taking any damage at all. Storm helps a bit in acquiring the crystals for powers and clearing the exploding tiles.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Glancing at the last couple of pages of TA's Tiny Death Star thread it looks like the current version of the game is indeed buggy, with crashes, people losing progress and the like. I guess that explains why the wider release is taking so long.

ToxicAdam

Do you have the 2-star Storm (White)? She has a passive ability (yellow, i think) that will damage all enemies if they hit you for >%20 of your HPs.

It's real easy to wipe them out when/if they hit you.

Also, I would advise against using 500 ISO to get new covers. You should be using that currency to level up your characters. When you level up characters it recharges their health. It's a good way to avoid using health packs early on.

A leveled up one-star hero is way more useful than any 3 star hero you might get lucky and pull from a pack.

When it's just one AI the trick is to stun her, and just get lucky with your board. I routinely win the harder fights where there's no AI to play the board without taking any damage at all. Storm helps a bit in acquiring the crystals for powers and clearing the exploding tiles.

Yeah, I can roll mooks with Storm+Hawkeye+Black Widow (BW usually gets replaced by some big nasty for no-AI fights) any day provided I get a decent start. It just hasn't been enough for this fight yet.

Also, I would advise against using 500 ISO to get new covers. You should be using that currency to level up your characters. When you level up characters it recharges their health. It's a good way to avoid using health packs early on.

ISO is still pretty easy to come by, so I've been levelling up and occasionally dropping a 500 on a cover. Right now they're tossing recruit tokens like candy though.

heringer

Once I get all collect all my Spiderman covers/powers I want to try a Bagman/Spidey/Venom team. Just to see how that looks.

Bagman really could use one offensive power or an AP collecter, though.

They must have multiple leaderboards, because mine is pretty different and the leader somehow has 304.

I noticed this in the last tournament, because I would face opponents that had hundreds more points than me but they were nowhere on my leaderboard when I was in the top ten.

Can't use Bagman and Spidey together though, since they are both Spidey.

Bag-Man is unapologetically a defensive character. I don't miss an offensive ability since there's plenty of characters for that.

I sold all of my Venom covers. Didn't like him too much and needed space. I need more slots dammit (13 right now).

ToxicAdam

Aw crap, I didn't think about that.

I save most my gold for cover expansions. I'm up to 17 slots now. They bump the price up to 150 gold for the 15th or 16th slot.

I don't want to throw any heros away, because it's very likely that the devs are going to make future changes to them to increase their viability and usefulness. They don't want a game where everyone is using the same 4-5 heroes.

I've been toying around with the idea of creating a second Black Widow, but I've aleady sold 5 of her purple covers. Too late now

Is there any way to turn off the incessant fucking pop-ups in Marvel Puzzle Quest? I've unchecked all the boxes in settings, and they still come up ever. fucking. time.

Is there any way to turn off the incessant fucking pop-ups in Marvel Puzzle Quest? I've unchecked all the boxes in settings, and they still come up ever. fucking. time.

Your collection is full!

New event available!

New update!

Your collection is full!

...yeah, I don't know.

The RNG is killing me. I wasted another 6 or 7 recruit tokens and all I got was the usual Hawkeye, Black Widow and Storm, plus a couple of upgrades for characters I'm not really interested in. On the bright side, I made some significant progress and leveled up a lot.

Your collection is full!

New event available!

New update!

Your collection is full!

...yeah, I don't know.

The RNG is killing me. I wasted another 6 or 7 recruit tokens and all I got was the usual Hawkeye, Black Widow and Storm, plus a couple of upgrades for characters I'm not really interested in. On the bright side, I made some significant progress and leveled up a lot.

Same here. The game itself at this point is boring as dang, but I'm super hooked on leveling and getting new characs. Hopefully that will create more gameplay variety as I progress.

Absinthe

Combo Crew is free - was actually waiting for it to go free so I might buy Viewtiful Joe IAP if I like it... though touch based fighting game doesn't sound exactly exciting.

Also:

http://cdn.toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BXbP3wqCAAAnbmU.png-large.png

1800 mAh battery, sliders as joysticks.

I know which controller I am getting.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/10/25/m...-with-analog-sticks-and-1800mah-battery-leak/

Been waiting to check out Combo Crew, thanks!

That controller looks really good, anyone know when IOS controllers are supposed to be released?

PFD

That controller looks really good, anyone know when IOS controllers are supposed to be released?

The controller makers have been strangely silent about this, even though controller support is already in iOS and several games have added it. I wonder if perhaps Apple has asked them to wait for a special date/event?

Shaneus

Hey, is Game Center down for anyone else? Mine just sticks on "loading" on my ios6 iPad.
Edit: Never mind, fine on my iPhone. Weird.

heringer

Decided to throw Marvel PQ five bucks because I'm so addicted to it and it's so great.

Get Level 30 Legendary X-Force Wolverine.

'kay.

;D

I threw a few bucks at the game too, but ended up getting Wolvie for free. :p

He's usefull as bench but not that great unless you are in the beginning of the game.

Anyone know why H.A.M.M.E.R. has "25/26 Rewards Found" (or whatever) but everything is checked off, not reloadable? What am I missing??

D:

I threw a few bucks at the game too, but ended up getting Wolvie for free. :p

He's usefull as bench but not that great unless you are in the beginning of the game.

I am :)

ToxicAdam

Anyone know why H.A.M.M.E.R. has "25/26 Rewards Found" (or whatever) but everything is checked off, not reloadable? What am I missing??

D:

I am :)

It's a bug. They added.a second prize in the tutorial missions, but once you complete them you are locked out from doing them again,

I'm actually contemplating creating a fake Facebook account so I can swap prizes around with others. :p

Got an iPhone 5s today, my first iOS device. Are there any must have games I should know about? So far I bought TWEWY (don't have a DS and always wanted to play that) and I tried to play Ghost trick but it crashes on the first action, so hopefully that's patched soon :(

dock

Got an iPhone 5s today, my first iOS device. Are there any must have games I should know about? So far I bought TWEWY (don't have a DS and always wanted to play that) and I tried to play Ghost trick but it crashes on the first action, so hopefully that's patched soon :(
I picked up an iPhone 5S recently too! :) Despite being a skeezy Gameloft game, I highly recommend Asphalt 8. There's definitely a bit of a paywall after a while, but you'll get your dollar's worth out of it and it shows off the iPhone 5S really well!

The other game I've been having fun with have been 'Help me Fly'.

igor

This question comes up so often, we probably need to compile a list of TEH ESSENTIAL iOS LIST, I guess, but mostly look up other months' threads for advice.

Also, few of must-have recommendations:

Super Hexagon
Ridiculous Fishing
Junk Jack X
Device 6
Kingdom Rush / Frontiers
Hot Springs Story
DJ Max Ray
Rayman Jungle Run
Deus Ex
Kid Tripp

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

When a new app crashes at startup, usually you just need to shut down completely your device and after you turn it on again it should work forever without a hitch.

First, get download app shopper and create your wish list, it'll show you the apps special deals history and send you a reminder every time they're on sale,

Second, go check the OP and every past OP and rhey're suggestions in the spotlight section, super useful!

As far as must haves I'd say, in no particular order these come up on my mind (forgetting a million others):

Rayman Jungle Run
The Pinball Arcade
Dodonpachi Resurrection
Dodonpachi Maximum
Raiden Legacy
Blazing Star
Final Fantasy Tactics
The Secret of Monley Island SE 1 and 2
Game Dev Story
Bug Princess 1 and 2
Sword and Poker 2
Kid Tripp
Baldur's Gate
KOTOR
X-COM Enemy Unknown
Shadowrun
Telltale's The Walking Dead
Groove Coaster Zero
Tiny Wings
Super Hexagon
Sword + Sworcery
Tiny Thief
Mr Ninja
Pen and Paper RPG
Kingdom Rush
Plant Vs Zombies
Super Stickman Golf 2
Riptide GP 2 (I own the first, got it for free few days ago and it's amazing, made by the HydroThunder XBLA dev)
Pinball Arcade
Fairway Solitaire

Shaneus

When a new app crashes at startup, usually you just need to shut down completely your device and after you turn it on again it should work forever without a hitch.

First, get download app shopper and create your wish list, it'll show you the apps special deals history and send you a reminder every time they're on sale,

Second, go check the OP and every past OP and rhey're suggestions in the spotlight section, super useful!

As far as must haves I'd say, in no particular order these come up on my mind (forgetting a million others):

The Pinball Arcade
Pinball Arcade
I'm pretty sure I can't argue with that list. Especially considering it mentions Pinball Arcade twice ;)

BTW New Riptide? Loved the first, getting onto that second one post-haste. Rad. I also keep forgetting I own Raiden :/

SmokyDave

I just played through 'Device 6'. Man, that was quite something. Loved the atmosphere, found the puzzles satisfyingly difficult and the game has style for days. Everyone that grumbles about modern games being boring and samey should be pinned down and forced to play it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just played through 'Device 6'. Man, that was quite something. Loved the atmosphere, found the puzzles satisfyingly difficult and the game has style for days. Everyone that grumbles about modern games being boring and samey should be pinned down and forced to play it.
Immediately after reading this post, I went and bought it. You got good taste so I'm gonna try this out :)!

First game on my 5s! Hype!

igor

Immediately after reading this post, I went and bought it. You got good taste so I'm gonna try this out :)!

First game on my 5s! Hype!

Good purchase. Device 6 is amazing. I am on the 4th chapter now and what I like is that while challenging, the puzzles never feel too abstract and ridiculous. Plus writing is elegant and quirky, not to mention the beautiful Mod-ish style. This is the game that I feel could only work on iOS. I need to finish it soon so I can brag about it even more, but feels like this is easily the most exciting release this year.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
igor, when is that Terra Inc. game being released now again? I NEED it on my 5s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom