• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2013: Wipe that print off your screen, next-gen is already here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm looking for recommendations of the best games on the platform that defy your expectations in terms of touch controls. I'm thinking of something that reminds you of the awesomeness of 16-bit era 2D platformers: action-oriented, deep (made for gamers, not a causal affair), and really designed for the platform. No on-screen analog sticks.

I understand that without physical buttons, it is hard to recreate many genres with touch and tilt, but I am hoping there are some good examples out there where the designer built his or her game specifically for these inputs and still produced something you'd really want to spend hours with. The most obvious solution to the 'platformer' problem on phones these days has been the endless runner, but those are awfully watered down (low gamer agency) compared to the classics.

Have you seen anyone achieve this? What's the closest you think someone has come?

You seem to have some strong preconceptions here. I don't know how you expect to have a game that isn't an endless runner and also has no on screen analog sticks, visible or not.

As a pseudo endless runner, you should probably try Rayman Jungle Run. To see how virtual sticks can work fine, try league of evil and street fighter 4 volt.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Framerate's perfect for me, weird. It's definitely way better than Puzzle Quest 2 was.

Yeah, that's weird. I tried Puzzle Quest 2 right after, it was perfectly smooth... so I just assumed Marvel PQ had performance issues. Maybe it was just a temporary hiccup or something.

PFD

Hey all, I'm looking for recommendations of the best games on the platform that defy your expectations in terms of touch controls. I'm thinking of something that reminds you of the awesomeness of 16-bit era 2D platformers: action-oriented, deep (made for gamers, not a causal affair), and really designed for the platform. No on-screen analog sticks.

I understand that without physical buttons, it is hard to recreate many genres with touch and tilt, but I am hoping there are some good examples out there where the designer built his or her game specifically for these inputs and still produced something you'd really want to spend hours with. The most obvious solution to the 'platformer' problem on phones these days has been the endless runner, but those are awfully watered down (low gamer agency) compared to the classics.

Have you seen anyone achieve this? What's the closest you think someone has come?

Check out:

Incoboto
Waking Mars
Badland
Sword & Sworcery

WoolyNinja

Mikey Shorts (and it's sequel Mikey Hooks) show that virtual controls can work as the games require pinpoint accuracy and the controls work perfectly!

Goli

So when FFIV TAY was announced for iOS we got a vague "winter" release time frame, but now we know it's coming next month! Please be excited.

Radogol

So when FFIV TAY was announced for iOS we got a vague "winter" release time frame, but now we know it's coming next month! Please be excited.

Jesus, I still have Dimensions to finish. Around 40 hours in and no end in sight :/

Check out:

Incoboto
Waking Mars
Badland
Sword & Sworcery
+1 for Incoboto and Badland

I think Incoboto has the best unobtrusive and responsive touch controls (as well as just being an awesome game) and Badland squeezes an insane amount of depth and variety from a simple one-touch control scheme

Clunker

Beyond the Rayman Jungle Run recommendations already mentioned, definitely check out Kid Tripp -- it's an auto-runner (not endless, it has discrete levels), but with variable run speeds, projectiles, and finely tuned jumping controls. It gives the player a great deal of choice regarding how to approach each level while maintaining the simplicity that seems to make auto-runners popular on the platform.

I'm also a big fan of Bit Pilot -- it uses two thumbs on the touchscreen more as a trackball than as virtual sticks, and I think it works flawlessly. And I remember Space Miner working really well with virtual sticks because it functions more as a circular wheel than as an actual analog stick.

There's also the Duet and Super Hexagon school of control, where left/right sides of the screen work as left and right directionals. And there's also the League of Evil style control, where the game is 2D and you only have left/right buttons. Generally speaking, I find virtual controls very manageable when they discard the full "virtual analog stick" in favor of left/right controls.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Also, I think Yoshichan asked about Oceanhorn (that "Terra Incognita"/Zelda like game) - Apparently it may come out either in 7 days or on the 7th of November but that's just silly speculation on TA part.
HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

PittaGAF

Just completed Device 6.

Simply outstanding.
If it doesn't win awards and GOTYs there is something wrong with humanity.

I can't belive Simogo topped even Year Walk.

Goli

Was there any news on when the Dragon Quest series is releasing? Other than it is coming out? I have an itch to play.

The Android Dragon Quest smartphone that comes with DQVIII pre-installed comes out in December so at least Dragon Quest VIII should come out then, no news for the rest of the series other than they're coming at some point though.

Clunker

+1 for Incoboto and Badland

I think Incoboto has the best unobtrusive and responsive touch controls (as well as just being an awesome game) and Badland squeezes an insane amount of depth and variety from a simple one-touch control scheme
Totally agreed on Badland. I don't really like the game all that much, but feathering the controls feels amazing and is super-precise.

Sakujou

Banned
Jesus, I still have Dimensions to finish. Around 40 hours in and no end in sight :/

dimensions became free. i suppose you have to buy all chapters one by one to end up paying shit tons of money until the full game is complete... right?

why are SE games so expensive on ios?

also, is anyone playing jukebeat or reflec beat here???

Radogol

dimensions became free. i suppose you have to buy all chapters one by one to end up paying shit tons of money until the full game is complete... right?

I believe it's $17 for all chapters at once. A fair price in my opinion, considering it's a massive, honest to goodness Final Fantasy game, despite looking like shit.

I suggest you play the free prologue and decide for yourself if you're up for 50 more hours of that. Game has its flaws but is otherwise the kind of a jRPG I've been sorely missing lately.

Goli

why are SE games so expensive on ios?

also, is anyone playing jukebeat or reflec beat here???

Dimensions has always been free (with chapter IAP).

igor

igor

I don't know what to say.

Ah well, I am aware of Guns'n'Roses and Axl Low Rose but really never had much interest in them and as a kid my dad would rather familiarise me with Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Guess that band wasn't his cup of tea.

Please understand.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
http://www.fdgsoft.de/download/Oceanhorn-and-it-is-hard-to-hold-a-candle-in-the-cold-.PNG

Apaprently the file name refers to some song called "November Rain" and there's 7 so probably released on November 7th. I don't know what happens if the weather forecast suggests no precipitation?

Anyways, I find this silly, game better be worth it. Otherwise I will be the first person to tear it to shreds here on GAF <3 ;) But seriously, I am hyped.

I think that was a Sheryl Crow song. Maybe a pop idol type game?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
http://www.fdgsoft.de/download/Oceanhorn-and-it-is-hard-to-hold-a-candle-in-the-cold-.PNG

Apaprently the file name refers to some song called "November Rain" and there's 7 so probably released on November 7th. I don't know what happens if the weather forecast suggests no precipitation?

Anyways, I find this silly, game better be worth it. Otherwise I will be the first person to tear it to shreds here on GAF <3 ;) But seriously, I am hyped.

I think that was a Sheryl Crow song. Maybe a pop idol type game?

It's definately the Guns N' Roses song, unless Crow also made a cover? :p

About the game though, I'm still very skeptical towards it's gameplay aspects, that's the area where they haven't shown much.

Minsc

Gold Member
The D3Publisher Forums (for Marvel Puzzle Quest) posted some pretty nice sounding updates coming to make the game better for the players:

Daily Rewards
Each day you play you'll get the next in a series of rewards including tokens that allow you to take a roll from "Recruit Heroes" without using your precious Iso-8 or Hero Points. Best of all - unlike many free-to-play games, if you miss a day we will not reset your progress.

Cover Pack Tokens
We've created a new type of reward, a Cover Pack Token. These will be given out in various places throughout the game - event rewards, mission rewards and our new daily rewards. We hope this will allow more players to experience the fun of cracking open a new cover. Since we're going to be giving out a bunch more cover packs, we will also likely be increasing the costs of of those cover packs in the future.

More Missions
We know many of you have already earned many of the rewards in the game. In the coming weeks, we're going to be rolling out the first "Episode" of the game. We can't say much just yet but suffice it to say, there's gonna be loot there!

Easier Farming
We're going to change the way missions rewards are calculated to make it easier for you to farm all of the rewards from a mission. You'll be seeing less of the dreaded "20 Iso-8" reward!

The Big One: Reduce the Number of Covers you Need from 20 to 5
We've heard two big complaints from everyone about the current ability system:
- Getting your two and three star characters upgraded is too hard
- You don't like it when an ability level upgrade doesn't do anything

And a whole lot more at the link, actually. That last one (bringing down the ability level upgrades from 20 to 5) is pretty big too. They're very active in responding there, so if you feel like suggesting stuff short of re-releasing the game as a $20 app without IAP, it may not fall on empty ears. My guess is sometime soon after this big update we'll probably move out of the preview edition phase.

PFD

It's definately the Guns N' Roses song, unless Crow also made a cover? :p

About the game though, I'm still very skeptical towards it's gameplay aspects, that's the area where they haven't shown much.

So far the gameplay looks like Swordigo sans the platforming, which is half the fun.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So far the gameplay looks like Swordigo sans the platforming, which is half the fun.
And the islands look really tiny, with faked horizon "sky" walls surrounding them. Hopefully there are some decent dungeoneering in this game or it'll probably be the biggest bust since Star Command.

The D3Publisher Forums (for Marvel Puzzle Quest) posted some pretty nice sounding updates coming to make the game better for the players:

And a whole lot more at the link, actually. That last one (bringing down the ability level upgrades from 20 to 5) is pretty big too. They're very active in responding there, so if you feel like suggesting stuff short of re-releasing the game as a $20 app without IAP, it may not fall on empty ears. My guess is sometime soon after this big update we'll probably move out of the preview edition phase.

These all sound like amazing additions. Glad to hear that they're listening.

ToxicAdam

I've still been playing Marvel Puzzle Quest every day for a couple hours. I got caught up in that bug that didn't reward me with my Captain America cover when I placed 10th place. Hopefully, they rectify that soon. It was a bummer to invest all that time into getting there and then not getting the reward. At least I was able to get a 3 star Spidey and my Yellow label Wolverine in the process.

I'm not sure how I feel about the changes. I kind of like the set-up they have now. The only changes I would make are better rewards if you clear a level (maybe have three different tiers of reward: 20, 50 and 100). Also, you should get more compensation for selling a cover. I've had extras already and only getting 100 back is too low. They should give you rewards for completing (4/4 every level) entire episodes.

Also, the end bosses of the game (currently) are bullshit. Their difficulty escalated too much and the rewards you get for beating them are garbage.

Also, the end bosses of the game (currently) are bullshit. Their difficulty escalated too much and the rewards you get for beating them are garbage.

This is true. I'm on the second last battle in the Juggernaut story (where you face Daken and two others) and it's ridiculously tough.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Huh. I seem to have run out of quests to do using imperial levels in Tiny Death Star, but I've only built 6 of them. There doesn't seem to be any more use for imperial levels now, am I missing something? X

Some of the IAP free games offer is INSANE! $50-100 of real money to buy fake money? Do casuals really buy this stuff?!

Can't understand the popularity of Candy Crush. It's just re-skinned Bejeweled 2 right? It's making over $600,000 a day! Crazy!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Some of the IAP free games offer is INSANE! $50-100 of real money to buy fake money? Do casuals really buy this stuff?!

Can't understand the popularity of Candy Crush. It's just re-skinned Bejeweled 2 right? It's making over $600,000 a day! Crazy!

Yes people really do buy that stuff.

ToxicAdam

Candy Crush is a bit more evolved than Bejeweled. Different clear challenges and a much steeper difficulty curve. The challenge is probably what seperates it from past match-3 variants.

Like some games, it was just one of the lucky ones that got that Facebook synergy going to push it into the next level.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

It's a reskinned Bejeweled if Bejeweled was designed to manipulate people into spending money. I haven't played CC personally, but I know plenty of people who do and it's not something I'd ever invest time or money into. Thankfully we still have Bejeweled 3/HD for iOS match-3 goodness untainted by IAP's.

Trin

I used to feel exactly the same, but now I can't stop playing Hay Day and the evil genius of IAPs suddenly makes so much sense to me now. I won't spend a dime, but I'm positive that there are lots of people with a pile of disposable income or irresponsible spending habits who do.

There's one sneaky pay model that I will never understand, though. Some awful "free" games have an "energy" system where you either have to wait like 6 hours for the game to be playable for 20 minutes, or constantly shell out money to recharge. I'm guessing scams like this trigger the same parts of the brain as a gambling addict at a slot machine. Otherwise, what rational person would constantly pay to play?

$400 for ipad mini retina, vs $500 for the ipad air that weights just 1/3 lb more.

i think i needa visit an apple store to get my hands on the air before i do anything.

$400 for ipad mini retina, vs $500 for the ipad air that weights just 1/3 lb more.

i think i needa visit an apple store to get my hands on the air before i do anything.

It's no question for me - I need the screen as big as possible for jubeat (which is still about half the playable size of the arcade on the not-mini iPad), so I'm always going to get the largest option. Only question is if I'm going 64GB or 128GB.

Flunkie

Banned
Hey, I'm one of the biggest SW fans there is, but even I don't gave that scabrous piece of shit clogging up my device.
I'm addicted to it now. It's a mindless grind that is kinda fun seeing all the characters and it separates itself from the shitty GREE games with the card battle system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom