• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2013: Wipe that print off your screen, next-gen is already here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingotech

Seems to have been some stealth update for New Star Soccer, great but my saved game appears to be gone....

My phone must have automatically updated it.

Kind of sucks...not sure I can be bothered playing it all again.

I've been playing Marvel Puzzle Quest daily too, but the problem is I don't see any new way to earn coins now (I've gotten almost all of the coin bonuses from the storyline mode). So unless I spend money, no more new rare characters for me. Which sucks.

I did however discover a way to get any non-downed character back to full health without spending a revive, which is cool.

J0dy77

Puzzle and Dragons, no offline mode or is it just downloading more files upon startup?

Requires internet connection.

Okay, Puzzle & Dragons. I have to check this out. Why is it a big hit in Japan? Time to find out for myself!

Come join the addicition. Most of us have been playing since the beginning of the year. I'ts not just a big hit in Japan either. It usually hits top 10 grossing apps on iOS during the big events.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693226

Seems to have been some stealth update for New Star Soccer, great but my saved game appears to be gone....

My phone must have automatically updated it.

Kind of sucks...not sure I can be bothered playing it all again.
I turned auto updates off because of stuff like that or games being turned into f2p titles with adverts, it happens too often to make auto updates feel comfortable.

Awesome. I played 10 minutes of Dead Man's Draw and its broken now.

I cannot do anything from this screen:

IMG_1082_zps8e81bc80.png

I've been playing Marvel Puzzle Quest daily too, but the problem is I don't see any new way to earn coins now (I've gotten almost all of the coin bonuses from the storyline mode). So unless I spend money, no more new rare characters for me. Which sucks.

I did however discover a way to get any non-downed character back to full health without spending a revive, which is cool.

Do you get coins from the weekly tournaments?

What a your revive tip? Exploiting Spidey?

Double D

Device 6 is pretty neat. I actually solved the first part of the puzzle, the math problem. Then I slide around to that
Computer and it starts spitting out ELLE ARE, etc. I think about it for a minute and shut the game off.
I actually came to this thread to start asking a question about what to do next, then as I was typing it out and saying it in my head I had a revelation. Also, I wonder how much the
questionnaire stuff
comes in to play later.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Device 6 is pretty neat. I actually solved the first part of the puzzle, the math problem. Then I slide around to that
Computer and it starts spitting out ELLE ARE, etc. I think about it for a minute and shut the game off.
I actually came to this thread to start asking a question about what to do next, then as I was typing it out and saying it in my head I had a revelation. Also, I wonder how much the
questionnaire stuff
comes in to play later.
Such a good moment when
my mind suddenly connected the dots that the sound the computer was making with the ELLE ARE was the same as the left/right machine I was randomly clicking earlier.
Very satisfying.

Flunkie

Banned
It's dangerously addictive until you feel overwhelmed at the grinding you have to do if you don't want to spent a countless amount of money for monstrars.

Fuck these addictive F2P games, I hate you so good.

Heel

You know what grinds my gears? Games that actually have a reason to use alerts and badges (multiplayer notifications, etc.), but also use those same alerts to hound you. There is no way to filter what notifications you actually want.

"Come back, our main character misses you!!!"
"Check out this advertisement for a game from one of our good friends."

I gave you my money. Please fuck off.

Do you get coins from the weekly tournaments?

What a your revive tip? Exploiting Spidey?
Ah yeah, you have to finish in the top 1000 to get coins.

And yeah, playing the final Venom level and collecting blue/yellow is usually safe enough to regain characters' health before they die.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ah yeah, you have to finish in the top 1000 to get coins.

And yeah, playing the final Venom level and collecting blue/yellow is usually safe enough to regain characters' health before they die.

You also get coins by the highest score you reach. Ironically enough a new tournament just launched, and this time it's a 1-star hero only tournament, and you can get all three of the 4-star wolverine's powers by merely accumulating enough points, regardless of where you rank. It also rewards 100 coins for just reaching 500 points, which shouldn't be too hard. Wolverine's covers might be out of reach for newer players, but I think it's great they have themed tournaments that highlight the less popular characters from time to time.

Dude, Puzzle & Dragons. Kind of cool. Can see why it can be addictive.

But do I have to play with random people online? I can play alone?

Also why is Marvel PQ the preview version? What's that mean?

PFD

It's dangerously addictive until you feel overwhelmed at the grinding you have to do if you don't want to spent a countless amount of money for monstrars.

Fuck these addictive F2P games, I hate you so good.

The OT over at the Something Awful forums has people who have spent over $1K on the game, it's fucking insane.

Dingotech

I turned auto updates off because of stuff like that or games being turned into f2p titles with adverts, it happens too often to make auto updates feel comfortable.

The thing is I just checked the New Star Soccer update details and it says nothing about losing your save game when updating. So I probably would have updated anyways.

PFD

The thing is I just checked the New Star Soccer update details and it says nothing about losing your save game when updating. So I probably would have updated anyways.

That sucks that you lost your save. I doubt that was intentional, must have been a bug. And this is by no means a stealth update, it's a major update with tons of new content. See here for more details.

Also why is Marvel PQ the preview version? What's that mean?

It's still in beta, only released in the Canadian app store afaik. I read somewhere that this wasn't developed by the original PQ devs, but they were consulted during the project. Is this true?

You also get coins by the highest score you reach. Ironically enough a new tournament just launched, and this time it's a 1-star hero only tournament, and you can get all three of the 4-star wolverine's powers by merely accumulating enough points, regardless of where you rank. It also rewards 100 coins for just reaching 500 points, which shouldn't be too hard. Wolverine's covers might be out of reach for newer players, but I think it's great they have themed tournaments that highlight the less popular characters from time to time.

4-star Wolverine's covers are probably out of reach for everybody. Even the top ranked players usually don't hit that high in these tournaments.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's still in beta, only released in the Canadian app store afaik. I read somewhere that this wasn't developed by the original PQ devs, but they were consulted during the project. Is this true?

It's definitely in the US app store too. It's published by D3 same as Puzzle Quest. I don't know if the same people from D3 worked on the games, but if you go to D3 forums, you'll see there's people from the game's team there responding to suggestions and balance concerns. I don't think the game will be totally evil, if you're interested in riding it out. You have to realize that even if you spend lots of money, there'll still be people same as there are now who are significantly stronger, so no reason to rush ahead to have the same issues.

Dingotech

That sucks that you lost your save. I doubt that was intentional, must have been a bug. And this is by no means a stealth update, it's a major update with tons of new content. See here for more details.

I actually just found out that I'm talking complete rubbish!

They moved the loading of your save game from the main menu inside the play game button on the main menu.

Apologies for any drama.

Quake1028

New Star Soccer version 1.5 really killed my favorite iOS game. Pay walls now to use new (and some old) features and totally succeed, and the new header system is completely awful. Really unhappy that I updated.

Dingotech

New Star Soccer version 1.5 really killed my favorite iOS game. Pay walls now to use new (and some old) features and totally succeed, and the new header system is completely awful. Really unhappy that I updated.

Yeah I just gave it a go and it's not sitting well with me at the moment...

Telling me my hard earned skills will need training or they will drop, and needing trainers to warn you when this will happen.

The headers are hard to control for sure.

Flunkie

Banned

Goddammit. I could always count on NSS to not conform to the App Store doucheries.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
i couldnt get into marvel pq because of how it looks... so damn cheap. Like the poorest of web flash games.

True.
But...

Thought that too now I'm hooked.

it's released almost everywhere now. To answer your question, yes it's true which baffles me since I keeps having the same shitty cheating AI of the previous games.

Thanks for the tip guys, I won't update New Star Soccer to 1.5 (1.52 now) then.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
i couldnt get into marvel pq because of how it looks... so damn cheap. Like the poorest of web flash games.

Exactly how I felt too. Subpar presentation and it had a low framerate which made it feel really cheap. Tried it for 15 mins before deleting it. Also, I've grown a bit tired of those kind of games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Exactly how I felt too. Subpar presentation and it had a low framerate which made it feel really cheap. Tried it for 15 mins before deleting it. Also, I've grown a bit tired of those kind of games.

Framerate's perfect for me, weird. It's definitely way better than Puzzle Quest 2 was.

I know internet is required but do I have to play randomly with other people? Can I play alone?

You always play AI when you battle others, and the AI is predictable, so after a while you can challenge and win battles significantly higher level than your characters.

You can leave moves on the board that lead to 5 or 6 color matches, and the AI goes for them half the time, leaving you the free turn match. You just need to think ahead a few moves and you won't have many problems.

Marvel PQ is really fun. I would buy this for $40 on Vita. Sucks it's F2P.
Framerate's perfect for me, weird. It's definitely way better than Puzzle Quest 2 was.

You always play AI when you battle others, and the AI is predictable, so after a while you can challenge and win battles significantly higher level than your characters.

You can leave moves on the board that lead to 5 or 6 color matches, and the AI goes for them half the time, leaving you the free turn match. You just need to think ahead a few moves and you won't have many problems.
Kind of don't understand. Whenever I select a dungeon it asks me to select a user. Is that a AI user or is it someone playing online?

That's what im asking. Can I play alone?

Minsc

Gold Member
Marvel PQ is really fun. I would buy this for $40 on Vita. Sucks it's F2P.

Kind of don't understand. Whenever I select a dungeon it asks me to select a user. Is that a AI user or is it someone playing online?

That's what im asking. Can I play alone?

Sorry I got the games mixed up, but it's still the right answer at least. Your user just aids you, it's still all single player. You'll just get another bonus/attacker.

Yeah I have been caught out like that before also, now days I try to wait a day for feedback if possible, sometimes temptation takes over though.

igor

Wow. Just beat the first level in Device 6 and I have to say, I am very pleasantly surprised. The writing is quirky and well written enough to be enjoyable, and at some points in combination with music/sound and layout it makes up for thrilling narrative. Love it. Whether the puzzle format will remain old fashioned (so far seems like there might be a lot of code-inputting and switch-flicking going on) is yet to be seen, but go and check Device 6 out - I came in knowing nothing but then Edge gave it a 9 which meant I just had to check it out... and I know I won't regret it now. While the first level was quite simple and obvious, I hope the game doesn't get too abstract and clue-searching won't get annoying. At the moment I am in love with how it looks, how it plays and how characterful the whole thing is - it's so very tasteful, like a certain album in your music library that makes your friends respect you if you know what I mean hehe.

Also, I think Yoshichan asked about Oceanhorn (that "Terra Incognita"/Zelda like game) - Apparently it may come out either in 7 days or on the 7th of November but that's just silly speculation on TA part.

Flunkie

Banned
Why did I download Star Wars Force Collection? It's so shit but it's Star Wars, so of course I'm gonna play it. What the fuck, App Store. Why am I being so drawn to such copious amounts of shitty business practices?! Why can't I stop it?!

*feverishly awaiting Tiny Death Star*

Nyx

Awesome. I played 10 minutes of Dead Man's Draw and its broken now.

I cannot do anything from this screen:

IMG_1082_zps8e81bc80.png

Annoying indeed, but you have to start the tutorial again, quit right away, then go back to the screen you posted, you will be able to play then.

igor

Pirate Legends TD is free ATM so if it's anything similar to Kingdom Rush it might be worth checking out...

Also Hunters games are on sale for a euro at the moment, if anyone is curious about WHQ I suppose 2nd might be worth checking out and I suspect it is actually richer in content than Warhammer.

Have anyone tried Indigo Lake? Looks bit rough on the edges but seems quite interesting.

Foursaken's Heroes & Castles is $0.99. Are the characters in updates (Assassin, Ranger, etc.) IAP only or can you unlock them normally?

Minsc

Gold Member
Foursaken's Heroes & Castles is $0.99. Are the characters in updates (Assassin, Ranger, etc.) IAP only or can you unlock them normally?

The game's a lot of fun, and they can be unlocked normally through getting crystals in the game. When people were talking about that Army of Darkness game earlier, this is the only thing since then which I've felt has matched it in the way it handles upgrades/etc. Obviously it moves away from AoD's 2D plane to a 3D one, but you're still bringing in units and buildings to fight with you and can play different roles, frontline, support, etc. Definitely recommend it.

PittaGAF

While still GORGEOUS on iPad and still ideal for SP, Battle of the Bulge on iPhone is simply the perfect async game.
My life is ruined.

AWESOME 'port'.

DodgerSan

Why did I download Star Wars Force Collection? It's so shit but it's Star Wars, so of course I'm gonna play it. What the fuck, App Store. Why am I being so drawn to such copious amounts of shitty business practices?! Why can't I stop it?!

*feverishly awaiting Tiny Death Star*

Hey, I'm one of the biggest SW fans there is, but even I don't gave that scabrous piece of shit clogging up my device.

Pirate Legends TD is free ATM so if it's anything similar to Kingdom Rush it might be worth checking out...

Pirate Legends is pretty good, though a little on the short side. It has IAP, but it's totally optional. It's nowhere near Kingdom Rush levels of difficulty, which ultimately made it kinda boring for me. But if you're a TD junkie like myself, it'll scratch the itch.

PFD

The game's a lot of fun, and they can be unlocked normally through getting crystals in the game. When people were talking about that Army of Darkness game earlier, this is the only thing since then which I've felt has matched it in the way it handles upgrades/etc. Obviously it moves away from AoD's 2D plane to a 3D one, but you're still bringing in units and buildings to fight with you and can play different roles, frontline, support, etc. Definitely recommend it.

Seconded. Heroes and castles is great!

think

Neo Member
Hey all, I'm looking for recommendations of the best games on the platform that defy your expectations in terms of touch controls. I'm thinking of something that reminds you of the awesomeness of 16-bit era 2D platformers: action-oriented, deep (made for gamers, not a causal affair), and really designed for the platform. No on-screen analog sticks.

I understand that without physical buttons, it is hard to recreate many genres with touch and tilt, but I am hoping there are some good examples out there where the designer built his or her game specifically for these inputs and still produced something you'd really want to spend hours with. The most obvious solution to the 'platformer' problem on phones these days has been the endless runner, but those are awfully watered down (low gamer agency) compared to the classics.

Have you seen anyone achieve this? What's the closest you think someone has come?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom