• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2013: Wipe that print off your screen, next-gen is already here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm torn between the old Mini and the new Mini. :(

Old mini is like the iPad 2, it's supported but not top end visuals in some of the bigger 3D games, also an rather old aged resolution screen now.

Retina mini will be extremely awesome as a gaming device with that A7 and 2048x1536 screen but it's at a price.

heringer

Eh, if not for gaming I wouldn't be in the least bit tempted to get a new iPad. My iPad 2 is still very much apt for my needs. It's showing its age on the gaming department though.

Z..

Am I the only one who vastly preffers iPACROSS to Pixel This? Pixel This is good, but iPacross is just so much more complete. Oo

igor

Dead Trigger 2 is out... nice graphics and much better controls (weapons fire automatically), but I feel that apart from decent graphics the gameplay is as boring as the first one.

Star Command released a new update and... still game doesn't feature expanded gameplay but only new missions? So disappointing.

Dead Trigger 2 is out... nice graphics and much better controls (weapons fire automatically), but I feel that apart from decent graphics the gameplay is as boring as the first one.

Star Command released a new update and... still game doesn't feature expanded gameplay but only new missions? So disappointing.

Watching a clip of the game and I agree, it's the same shoot zombies in a pit until the timer is up gameplay, and I expect grinding is going to happen for the better tier weapons.

It would have been nice if there was more active npc's to help or fight along side you instead of standing there to give orders.

Arcayne

Whats everyone else's opinion on Asphalt 8? I'm hysterically having a blast with this app. With that said, are there other racing apps that include "nitro" and "takedowns" ala Burnout 3: Takedown?

I'm also considering getting the iPad Mini with Retina to replace my iPad 2 for gaming, though I don't know all the details yet.

heringer

Hmm, so far I like the new Marvel Puzzle Quest update. Prices for upgrading covers are obscene now, but they greatly reduced the amount of covers needed. I think they are trying to make people focus on getting new covers.

Though I should've get all the covers I could get before the update, since now they are harder to obtain through the campaign.

Let's see how generous they are with coins and free spins. I've spent a total of $12 with the game. I feel I'm getting my money's worth though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, I'm kinda glad they've completely RUINED Marvel PQ with this new update since my Mini had basically become a MPQ machine these last 3 weeks, so now I can go back to play some gems from my massive backlog; I should have informed myself before hitting update and spend some of my 7k Iso on upgrades. Now you can only update with cards or money, a shitload of money that is (500 coins for Thor's Mjolnir upgrade 3 while before it was 750 Iso, lol!). In the meantime they've removed half the cards/money rewards from the campaign and replaced them with (brace yourself) fuckin' "health packs", so that you'll hit the paywall 10x sooner, and I can bet my ass that, looking at my earnings tonight, they've also massively reduced the % chances you had to earn a reward when going for 4/4 runs with the fucking 20 iso hitting much more frequently. They've also managed the impossible in making the GUI worse and way less informative, now if you have enough in the mana pool to spend for a power you don't see HOW MUCH you have of that color in total when you click on that color's gem, same when you go and have to choose between two available powers of the same color, how retarded is that? You've gotta switch back and forth swiping left to see how you're managing.

I've been a big supporter here of MPQ's f2p model, which was more often than not fair, but this? Fuck this shit.

ToxicAdam

The update information had been posted in here. Also, it's being discussed on their forums. I don't know why you would hoard so much ISO anyways.

I like it. It has powered up the 2 and 3 star heroes and leveled them in a fair way. The big downside is that ppl with a lot of those higher level heroes are hard to beat in PVP.

Also, it's annoying how they hide your AP counts when you attempt to do a special power. Probably just an oversight on their part.

Dash Kappei

The update information had been posted in here. Also, it's being discussed on their forums. I don't know why you would hoard so much ISO anyways.

1) well, that's why I said I should have informed myself better before updating, it's not like I've complained about them doing a stealth update so I don't know why you're pointing that out honestly.
2) because of PvP tactics (upgrade powers and not levels till you can) and to see what's your preferred deck of heroes and only then spend your iso accordingly.

I like it. It has powered up the 2 and 3 star heroes and leveled them in a fair way. The big downside is that ppl with a lot of those higher level heroes are hard to beat in PVP.

It's a terrible update if you plan on staying competitive without spending money every other day, p2w indeed.
Considering the kind of game it is and its production values I think that anything over $4 per week would be definitely too much of a cost (relative to this game of course) and even that isn't gonna cut it, not even close if you've played the game a fair bit, unless you've always thought of the game to just be a little distraction for a few days. Just to upgrade Thor's mijolnir to 2nd state would now cost roughly $5. That's ridiculous.

I know I've played the first PQ (2 and Galactrix were crap) on DS for well over a year, to think of the game like a flavor of the month doesn't sit well with me. On top of that you have to consider the heroes are sold like gatchapon, you're basically gambling each time you spend money to get a card and that obviously ups the spending a fair bit.

First business approach was fine.
A premium $14.99 release with the odd $ DLC character pack/story pack with prizes would have been fine.
This is just bad now.
It probably tastes much worse than it is to me because what we had before was perfectly fine in my book.

Nyx

Got some new games again, all these 99 cents stuff makes my backlog even worse than it was already.

Anyway, I bought Device 6 but find it hard to get into, I’ve read everything up to a part at which you can’t proceed and didn’t know what to do exactly, will try again later.
The concept seems cool though.

Also caved and bought Transport Tycoon, it plays great on my iPhone 5, the interface is a lot better than Transport General, having loads of fun with it so far. (did 5 Beginner Scenarios)

Next game in line, Majesty Lite.
A town builder kind of game in which you also buy heroes (warriors, rangers f.e.) who you can send out to kill monsters or loot dungeons.
You don’t control them but can set flags to which they will go, you are mainly building stuff for them to be able to kill bigger monsters. (warriors guild, blacksmith, the lot)
Haven’t played a lot yet but it seems pretty good!

And last but not least, Royal Defense Invisible Threat
It’s a Tower Defense game like Kingdom Rush, starts out pretty easy but soon enough it gets harder.
The basic game is free so anybody with a TD itch should try it out at least, you can buy new chapters with iAP.

Reese-015

Wow, surprised Dead Trigger 2 looks and plays as good as it does on my old iPhone 4. Was expecting a below-retina-res and/or laggy piece of shit since nowadays with graphically intensive games devs just target the higher end devices.

Awesome free game released last night:
Deadly Bullet
Trailer
Free the people of a dystopian metropolis - with a single bullet!

Deadly Bullet is a hi-octane top-down action game where you control a single bullet, take out bad guys and use special powerups to boost your game!

Featuring unique visuals, retroesque electro soundtrack and bad attitude, Deadly Bullet delivers a heart-pounding joyride.

screen480x480.jpeg

Now not only is this game fun and challenging, it's free to play done right. No IAP, no ads, no stupid multiple currencies or timers. You gain XP by killing enemies and destroying objects; you get a skill point every time you level up. The XP doubler was 6 points and I got that in less than an hour. The gameplay itself is addictive, stylish, and doesn't get old, plus there are randomized areas, upgrades, and two game modes

SteveWD40

Awesome free game released last night:
Deadly Bullet
Trailer

Now not only is this game fun and challenging, it's free to play done right. No IAP, no ads, no stupid multiple currencies or timers. You gain XP by killing enemies and destroying objects; you get a skill point every time you level up. The XP doubler was 6 points and I got that in less than an hour. The gameplay itself is addictive, stylish, and doesn't get old, plus there are randomized areas, upgrades, and two game modes

Interesting, thanks for the heads up, reminds me of Hotline Miami (which I am sure is their intent).

Interesting, thanks for the heads up, reminds me of Hotline Miami (which I am sure is their intent).
That was my impressions to when I saw the trailer. The dev posted this in the Toucharcade forum:
Hello!

I'm the developer of Deadly Bullet and it's really cool to hear you guys are liking the game! As you have wondered whether the game has IAP's or not, the answer is that it doesn't. It doesn't have any ads either. Why is that you ask?

It's because all the games I've released so far have been always free of ads and IAP's. This is because I make these games as a hobby on my free time, to hone my skills and learn something new from every project. And most importantly, to get feedback like you guys have been posting here, be it praise or criticism. I love it!

I might sound like a hypocrite to someone but as a gamer I just love to explore new ideas and concepts and if it becomes a "real game", I polish and release it for everyone else to enjoy.

For the Update #1 I'm planning on adding a new enemy type, boss scenes, secondary objectives (opposed to just kill 'em all) and generic bug fixes. There's no ETA for the update yet since I'm busy with my daily job and family but I think it won't be for too long.

Meanwhile, I thank you again for the awesome feedback and keep spreading the love
If only every IOS developer had the same mentality!

Alchemy

That was my impressions to when I saw the trailer. The dev posted this in the Toucharcade forum:

If only every IOS developer had the same mentality!

The problem is he isn't interested in making money, a major issue for most developers considering it is their job and not a hobby. His "f2p done right" method is great for consumers, but I doubt he makes any real amount of money from his games as a result.

Brakara

The problem is he isn't interested in making money, a major issue for most developers considering it is their job and not a hobby. His "f2p done right" method is great for consumers, but I doubt he makes any real amount of money from his games as a result.

Indeed. And if all games were "done right" like that, he would probably be home coding 24/7, living on welfare, since he would have no day job at all.

SteveWD40

Maybe he see's these games as his "CV" of sorts, great way to get a job in the industry if that's his aim.

Of course emulating the success of guys like Notch or the Gunpoint guy would be better, but that's not as viable on iOS (baring stuff like Tiny Wings), PC is where that gold plated road lays.

Quake1028

I gave some more time to New Star Soccer 1.5. The game has been turned into an absolute chore to play. You start out at such a low wage that to do anything you have to spend all of your money on the energy drinks and maybe at times a new pair of cleats. That leaves you with zero money for any of the upgrades. Just negotiate a better contract you say, like you could in NSS pre 1.5? Behind a pay wall now. Granted it's only 99 cents, but still, it's the principle. Put the agent/trainer nonsense as payable, fine. Don't take out core game features that make it possible to actually succeed. Very disappointed with this update.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's a terrible update if you plan on staying competitive without spending money every other day, p2w indeed.
Considering the kind of game it is and its production values I think that anything over $4 per week would be definitely too much of a cost (relative to this game of course) and even that isn't gonna cut it, not even close if you've played the game a fair bit, unless you've always thought of the game to just be a little distraction for a few days. Just to upgrade Thor's mijolnir to 2nd state would now cost roughly $5. That's ridiculous.

I don't think this at all. The update has made it much better. Of course there are less cover rewards, instead of need to collect 60 (well 50 covers) now you only need to collect 13 to max out a character. So a 25% reduction in cover rewards would have been keeping in line with before, and it seems the same at a glance (there are less covers in the campaign as you need less now, but they're still there).

You can have fun if you enjoy match-3 games, just stick to the covers they hand out in the PVP event rewards. Don't go after a hero that they aren't rewarding. They run new PVP events every few days, so play till you can't get further then the next day there'll be a new one to start over with, building up more covers.

Now that you only need 5 covers for an ability, you'll have excess covers a lot faster.

The daily reward system seems very generous, just through that and reaching like 300 points (which is nothing) in the Avengers event, I got 2 black widow covers and her abilities at 4/5 now, and she stuns for 5 turns, making most battles trivial when you're down to one person left on the other side, since they are locked out of moves for 6 actions, and by then you have another 9 blue crystals, adding in another 5 more turns, basically winning matches when you have 2 of the 3 heroes down.

Tomorrow's reward is some sort of heroic point, which I think may raise any cover you have for any hero. And if they give those out weekly, you'll have your hard to find covers at 5 in no time (well a few weeks/months). Not to mention yesterday's reward was free gold coins.

They just opened a new kind of event too, which is structured like the campaign.

I don't know, if you want to not spend money, it doesn't seem very hard to enjoy the game unless you're set on getting certain heroes to max level right away.

ToxicAdam

I'm with you Minsc. The game is very agreeable and generous if you approach it in a different way. Like PAD, its a game you play for months. A few hours a day and then put it away until the next day. By 'rushing through' the content, you are only speeding up to get to a point where you become sick of the game.

As I've said before in this thread, it's a fool's game to expect to be 'competitive' in a F2P/MMO game. There is always going to be dozens of people that will spend more money than you and invest more time than you. You're only setting yourself up for frustration and anger if you approach a game like this with that as your end goal. But you can still have fun with PvP if you set your goals lower and the game maker actually rewards you for your efforts. They definitely do that in this game.

--- // ---

Before this update, with many of the SP missions, I had 3/4 or 4/4 all of them. When I logged in, most were 2/4 and some even 1/4. So, I was able to collect a bunch of additional covers, tokens (which actually gave me a couple 2 star covers that weren't accessible before) and some more gold coins. All told, I came out way better than if they had just left it the same. You can even get more Dakan covers and the complete Wolverine power-set through the regular missions now. That wasn't the case before.

chris121580

I gave some more time to New Star Soccer 1.5. The game has been turned into an absolute chore to play. You start out at such a low wage that to do anything you have to spend all of your money on the energy drinks and maybe at times a new pair of cleats. That leaves you with zero money for any of the upgrades. Just negotiate a better contract you say, like you could in NSS pre 1.5? Behind a pay wall now. Granted it's only 99 cents, but still, it's the principle. Put the agent/trainer nonsense as payable, fine. Don't take out core game features that make it possible to actually succeed. Very disappointed with this update.

No clue what the dev was thinking. Ruined one of my very favorite iOS games. Really disappointing

heringer

I don't think this at all. The update has made it much better. Of course there are less cover rewards, instead of need to collect 60 (well 50 covers) now you only need to collect 13 to max out a character. So a 25% reduction in cover rewards would have been keeping in line with before, and it seems the same at a glance (there are less covers in the campaign as you need less now, but they're still there).

You can have fun if you enjoy match-3 games, just stick to the covers they hand out in the PVP event rewards. Don't go after a hero that they aren't rewarding. They run new PVP events every few days, so play till you can't get further then the next day there'll be a new one to start over with, building up more covers.

Now that you only need 5 covers for an ability, you'll have excess covers a lot faster.

The daily reward system seems very generous, just through that and reaching like 300 points (which is nothing) in the Avengers event, I got 2 black widow covers and her abilities at 4/5 now, and she stuns for 5 turns, making most battles trivial when you're down to one person left on the other side, since they are locked out of moves for 6 actions, and by then you have another 9 blue crystals, adding in another 5 more turns, basically winning matches when you have 2 of the 3 heroes down.

Tomorrow's reward is some sort of heroic point, which I think may raise any cover you have for any hero. And if they give those out weekly, you'll have your hard to find covers at 5 in no time (well a few weeks/months). Not to mention yesterday's reward was free gold coins.

They just opened a new kind of event too, which is structured like the campaign.

I don't know, if you want to not spend money, it doesn't seem very hard to enjoy the game unless you're set on getting certain heroes to max level right away.

Just got Cap and I'm getting a bunch of Hawkeye (Modern) covers, which is making him into a beast. I really like the update.

I wish they would mix up the puzzles though. Kinda like Candy Crush, making different rules and objectives depending on the level. At least for "bosses". Could be cool.

I have 700 points in the current event. Will try to make to 900, but it's increasingly harder to get points.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
oiiiii where is my tiny death star
thanks obama
Seriously. Soft launch and all but what's taking so long? Is this initial release very buggy or something? Hopefully it will at least have added GC features when it's released outside of Australia.

Heel

Figure is the free App of the Week.

Not necessarily a "game", but definitely a fun toy and one of my favorite apps. Trust me, you do not have to be very musically inclined to enjoy this thing, tinker around and actually make music. Just a great creativity outlet. Try it!

Here's a trailer, or just search for people using the app on YouTube and you'll understand the beauty of this thing.

Dead trigger 2 has terrible play safe boosters to pay real cash for, like double money income, double damage and double health.

I personally don't mind double income being a booster but to flat out give you double damage annoys me, this game doesn't try to hide that it's a game with gold real cash currency at all and kind of takes you out of the fun of imagining you are stuck in a zombie filled world trying to survive.

The real cash npc even sits in a wooden crate made chair/throne with his feet up, so out of place.

Seriously. Soft launch and all but what's taking so long? Is this initial release very buggy or something? Hopefully it will at least have added GC features when it's released outside of Australia.

They need to test that reskin of tiny tower
QCOX6Ps.png

Not necessary a "game", but definitely a fun toy and one of my favorite apps. Trust me, you do not have to be very musically inclined to enjoy this thing, tinker around and actually make music. Just a great creativity outlet. Try it!

Here's a trailer, or just search for people using the app on YouTube and you'll understand the beauty of this thing.

Yeah this rules. I've downloaded TONS of iOS music apps, and this one is probably the best. It's fun to create stuff within it too. Really well designed.

colinp

Banned
Yeah this rules. I've downloaded TONS of iOS music apps, and this one is probably the best. It's fun to create stuff within it too. Really well designed.

Yeah, it's a great app. But I really dislike the icon! Why do you need your company name there?? Arg, so ugly!

ToxicAdam

Not necessarily a "game", but definitely a fun toy and one of my favorite apps. Trust me, you do not have to be very musically inclined to enjoy this thing, tinker around and actually make music. Just a great creativity outlet. Try it!.

This is fantastic.

heringer

Just got Cap and I'm getting a bunch of Hawkeye (Modern) covers, which is making him into a beast. I really like the update.

I wish they would mix up the puzzles though. Kinda like Candy Crush, making different rules and objectives depending on the level. At least for "bosses". Could be cool.

I have 700 points in the current event. Will try to make to 900, but it's increasingly harder to get points.

Oh wow, now I got a Spider-Man (Classic) and X-Force Wolverine (!!!) covers. For free. Nice!

edit: and now I got another Daken cover using a token. Yeah, after the update I'm getting more stuff than I was when I spent some money.

arimanius

Hoping it comes out tonight. I'm already tired of pocket trains. I know it's just tiny tower but the geek in me is still excited.

Dash Kappei

Oh wow, now I got a Spider-Man (Classic) and X-Force Wolverine (!!!) covers. For free. Nice!

edit: and now I got another Daken cover using a token. Yeah, after the update I'm getting more stuff than I was when I spent some money.

Ok guys, what can I say? I must be the most unlucky sob ever -_-
Glad you're all having fun and appreciate where this is going, to each his own, they must be doing something right if I'm in the vast minority so it's probably the right decision to not cater to someone like me.
Yeah, you get Cap and then to upgrade his only power to level 2 you need to spend 500 coins. 600 coins cost €4.49. I still think it's a ridiculous value proposition.

heringer

Yeah, you get Cap and then to upgrade his only power to level 2 you need to spend 500 coins. 600 coins cost €4.49. I still think it's a ridiculous value proposition.

Not really. It was the same with Thor and Hawkeye, and now I have like 10 covers of the former and 6 of the latter. Every week they feature a character and give you plenty opportunities to get covers.

The point is, you shouldn't try to upgrade their powers with coins, but getting new covers, which I'm finding easier to be honest,

My X-Force Wolverine probably won't be upgraded though, unless I'm lucky again. He's not even that good compared to my Iron-Man, Thor, Storm and Hawkeye. Even my Bag-Man is more usefull (awesome against HAMMER enemies). Though my life would be much easier if I were lucky enough to find him earlier I'm the game, since he's pretty strong from the get go.

ToxicAdam

You don't spend money to upgrade, you wait to earn covers.

You can currently get two more Captain covers in the 10 day event when you reach 340 and 500 points. Not to mention all the other free tokens you can earn.

Just beat Ragnorak in the SP campaign. Thor, Storm and Black Widow was able to take him out. Thor is a beast once you get him up into the 20's and 30's.

Whats everyone else's opinion on Asphalt 8? I'm hysterically having a blast with this app. With that said, are there other racing apps that include "nitro" and "takedowns" ala Burnout 3: Takedown?

I'm also considering getting the iPad Mini with Retina to replace my iPad 2 for gaming, though I don't know all the details yet.
Absolutely loving it. It's a blast on my 5s.

Dash Kappei

You don't spend money to upgrade, you wait to earn covers.

No shit. Never did. But there's plenty of cases for non-common characters where you can't do that,

You can currently get two more Captain covers in the 10 day event when you reach 340 and 500 points. Not to mention all the other free tokens you can earn.

Except you have 1 out of 4 chance and can't repeat the missions to try to earn the missing prizes like you can in the campaign.
edit: my bad, just saw you mentioned earning them through PvP ranked, not with the red isos missions
Still don't see how is he a viable character unless you spend big tho.

This is going nowhere, I'll leave you guys to it lol :))

PFD

Not necessarily a "game", but definitely a fun toy and one of my favorite apps. Trust me, you do not have to be very musically inclined to enjoy this thing, tinker around and actually make music. Just a great creativity outlet. Try it!

This is really fun. I was checking out some samples on their website, and I found this. How the heck can you do something like that in the app?

heringer

No shit. Never did. But there's plenty of cases for non-common characters where you can't do that,

Except you have 1 out of 4 chance and can't repeat the missions to try to earn the missing prizes like you can in the campaign.
edit: my bad, just saw you mentioned earning them through PvP ranked, not with the red isos missions
Still don't see how is he a viable character unless you spend big tho.

This is going nowhere, I'll leave you guys to it lol :))
I agree it's not super fair (it's freemium after all), but I think it's manageable. You don't need to get every single character. Don't underestimate 1 star heroes, they can be pretty good.

Cap will be viable soon. Like I said, it was like this with Thor and Hawkeye. First they introduce the hero, then they start giving covers like candy (ok, I wouldn't go that far).

Turk

Me and a friend recently released a scary game about... kinda cleaning up an old apartment building. I swear the story made sense at one point in the development of this thing. We're only two people trying to make something cool and scary and are hoping to make more cool and scary things in the future.

Feel free to check out some video of it:
http://youtu.be/AyOszLRcKdA

Rlan

Just a quick note guys - we updated Jetpack Joyride yesterday with some bug fixes and some other bits and pieces.

We also updated Fruit Ninja (finally!) with some new blades and a HEAP of improvements to the performance of the game on older iDevices.

Currently working on some super awesome JJ stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom