• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2013: Wipe that print off your screen, next-gen is already here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWX

Getting Bit.Trip Run! tomorrow. Just tried to buy it, but I forgot the time my credit card remains unlocked for international transactions ended a couple of weeks ago. Will call my bank tomorrow and solve the issue. So excited! I wonder how it controls, though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
New price drop for Limbo, now it's 99c!
I honestly find that to be pretty shady, they probably didn't get enough of a spike in sales so they've dropped another 50% off yesterday's deal which was already 60% off the regular price. If I had bought the game yesterday I'd be pissed. Just for principle, since the game is fantastic and the former price was crazy good already.
Still, I really don't like these tactics.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Getting Bit.Trip Run! tomorrow. Just tried to buy it, but I forgot the time my credit card remains unlocked for international transactions ended a couple of weeks ago. Will call my bank tomorrow and solve the issue. So excited! I wonder how it controls, though.

WTF?! 0_O bit Trip Runner is on iOS?! Holy shit how did I not know that!
Appstore, here I come (both literally AND figuratively)!

Edit: the hell? Not on US nor ITA appstore, did I just get trolled?

GWX

WTF?! 0_O bit Trip Runner is on iOS?! Holy shit how did I not know that!
Appstore, here I come (both literally AND figuratively)!

Yup, the second game. Seems like a great port, and it only costs $4!

edit: it was supposed to be up! It is on the BR store, and TouchArcade says it's out now in the US store.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I honestly find that to be pretty shady, they probably didn't get enough of a spike in sales so they've dropped another 50% off yesterday's deal which was already 60% off the regular price. If I had bought the game yesterday I'd be pissed. Just for principle, since the game is fantastic and the former price was crazy good already.
Thanks for mentioning the sale! Bought it, despite beating it on both PS3 and PC :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm seeing bit Trip Runner in my store (EU), is it worth a purchase? The game seems really colorful... is it good looking on the 5s?

igor

This is exactly what happened to me. Ugh, what the hell.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Bit.Trip Runner 2, yes!

Anomaly 2, yes!

I'm gonna toss these into the OP (along with Marvel: PQ) just on the basis of how awesome BTR2 was on WiiU and how awesome the Anomaly 1+Korea games were.

October ends with a mini-bang. :)

Mr.Ock

I'm seeing bit Trip Runner in my store (EU), is it worth a purchase? The game seems really colorful... is it good looking on the 5s?

Just played a few levels, but if you like endless runners you should buy it! It's not a real endless runner because it's split into levels, every level has some objectives to get a "perfect", so it's very replayable. Also leaderboards, many achievements, characters and costume unlocks etc.

On my 5s runs fine, it's quite sharp and colorful. Also doesn't seem to drain much battery, which is a plus for me since right now I'm playing on the train and I need the phone to last for the whole day!

mrbaba

For someone who's not played a Bit.Trip game before and liking the look of runner 2 (run! is the same game right?).
Which other iOS versions of it would I like?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For someone who's not played a Bit.Trip game before and liking the look of runner 2 (run! is the same game right?).
Which other iOS versions of it would I like?

Yeah Bit.Trip Run! is the sequel, it's not actually called Bit.Trip Runner 2, my bad. :)

about 1.5 years later. how is retina ipad scene for gaming? Do most games support retina ipad resolutions now?

It did feel like a period of time that retina resolution on ipad wasn't something people liked to do due to the heavy performance cost, and there are people like square enix who probably don't even know there are retina ipads.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
about 1.5 years later. how is retina ipad scene for gaming? Do most games support retina ipad resolutions now?

It did feel like a period of time that retina resolution on ipad wasn't something people liked to do due to the heavy performance cost, and there are people like square enix who probably don't even know there are retina ipads.

I would classify this as a non-issue.

PFD

I'd say over 90% of new releases include retina graphics on iPad.

Terra

Gonna visit some friends tomorrow, and is looking for something to accompany me for the 3,5 hour bus ride. I am looking for anything good, played on the iPad 4. May it be action-RPG or strategy.

What would GAF advice me to buy?

I already have Final Fantasy Tactics, Broken Sword 1 & 2.

its weird.. i was all set on getting a ipad air/mini retina... but now i'm kinda lost interest. my ipad mini is mostly used just for videos and board/card games.

tab switching sucks because of the 512 mb ram, but thats something i can stomach.

if there weren't hefty price drops on graphics cards, and new consoles this winter, i would be less hesitant, but alas.

hmmm...

at least my iphone 5 can still do games ok.

PFD

I came across this app description while checking out the new releases

"Ultraman Galaxy” is a unique mobile slot-machine puzzle game fused with card battle, role-playing (RPG), and social game elements that will keep you playing for hours!

It's like they crammed in every recent trend in iOS gaming

So u want them free to play with anal raping iAP

Noooooooo, not at all. I'm still immensely saddened with what they (reportedly) did to Dungeon Keeper on iOS.

I don't have anything against paying $5+ for a game (and probably will), but I have such a huge backlog of games on my phone that I don't need these right away.

Combine that with the fact that they will both probably be on sale sometime in the next 30 days, and it's hard to justify the price of a Subway footlong (yes, I realize how ridiculous that makes me sound).

pdk27

Good thing I'm planning on ordering a iPad Air tomorrow. Bit Trip Run! gets really framey once in a while on my iPad 3.

zigg

Re BIT.TRIP RUN: how did they adapt the game, which has traditionally been played with nearly every button on a controller?

Is a 4S going to have enough surface area to bother? Also framerate, which I guess I have to start being concerned about ;)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
/// OP Additions ///

Looking for impressions on Run! and Anomaly 2, I'll provide some of my own for Run! shortly. The original Anomaly and Anomaly Korea were both fantastic tower-offense games so I'm also expecting good stuff for the sequel, which now also has online play!

Got the OT for Marvel PQ linked in the OP as well.

And finally, highlighting this game update:

Will Capcom ever fix Ace Attorney HD and Ghost Trick? >_>

Seriously... I just want to play Ghost Trick, how hard can it be to fix that bug?
Btw, is FFIV on iOS any good? It's on sale now and I'm considering buying it but not if it turns out to be a sucky port.

As a brit and a cook serve delicious fan, I am enjoying "chippy" very much.

Run a british fish and chips shop. Each level adds something new to the mix such as "salt", "Vinegar" "battered sausages" and so on. On http://chippyapp.com they promise even more regional delicacies as well (picked eggs and such).

Simple, but charming little game.

As a brit and a cook serve delicious fan, I am enjoying "chippy" very much.

Run a british fish and chips shop. Each level adds something new to the mix such as "salt", "Vinegar" "battered sausages" and so on. On http://chippyapp.com they promise even more regional delicacies as well (picked eggs and such).

Simple, but charming little game.

Love the art style. If it doesn't have pineapple fritters it can fuck right off though.

Not sure if anyone else has it here, but taiko no tatsujin + (JP only) seems to be having a celebratory event of some sort. Songs are available for free download (click the purple banners in song select to grab them) and bonus songs have been added to almost every song pack in the store. Make sure to restore your purchases if you've downloaded a song pack in the past, you might get more songs out of it.

Mr.Ock

I was playing Bike Baron, and some achievements appear as unlocked inside the app, but not in the GameCenter app. Is it a specific bug or is GameCenter generally shitty?

Anilones

I was playing Bike Baron, and some achievements appear as unlocked inside the app, but not in the GameCenter app. Is it a specific bug or is GameCenter generally shitty?

Were you connected to the internet when you unlocked them? I've had the same issues when I was unconnected.

Anyone else can't buy any IAP from FF theatrhythm? I love the "free" game but the app just crashes when it tries to connect to the store. I tried uninstalling and redownloading 2 times but no dice... I'm on a 5S iOS7 if that helps.

Retina iPad gaming is only bad on a 3rd gen unit, a lot of games run sub-retina if you could call it that, some will allow you to toggle res (galaxy on fire 2 HD, Nova 3) to change what you prefer over frame rate.

iPad 4, no sweat.

igor

Blimey, I didn't see that coming.

I wouldn't expect that from Square Enix at all :O Does the game require internet connection to play it? I wanted to try it out but i I guess I won't take selfies in the library ...

Oh it's November! I wonder what was the surprise GDJustin was preparing for us for IGN Game of the month?

igor

Combo Crew is free, that game that recently got Viewtiful Joe added to its rooster.

edit: my post in that thread, haha.

Time to check it.

Yes it also got updated with iconic Street fighter characters. I played the game a little and it was... okay. Will check it out again later when my backlog clears out but felt a bit like a more elaborate flash game.

Also the heroes in Kingdom Rush frontiers are on sale, any recommendations? I will not go above 90 cent mark, the Wizard seems really cool from what I've seen - yay/nay?

Bloodmasque from Square Enix .

Yes I thought the same :/ Hope it's not, from what GDJustin teased it actually sounded like an even better surprise though.

fuck.

i'm gonna go to apple store after going to the tag office to 'look' at the new ipad.

think ill leave my wallet in the car just in case :(

J0dy77

Wanted to stop in and push anyone that was on the fence to by Limbo. What a steal for $1. I played the game at release on Xbox live and hadn't read anything about it on iOS. What's really surprised me is the control scheme that I thought would be a problem is probably the best part of the game. And the fact that the game is universal and cloud synchs your progress between iPad and iPhone was the icing on the cake.

Great gaming experience on any platform and a must buy at $1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom