• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It feels a little bit like your 'luck' for a given level (or maybe even the whole game, when you're creating characters?) is predetermined. Maybe try starting the dungeon again or even the entire game? I haven't had anything like that, my mage has mana 90% of the time and I'm not getting pummelled by ambushes all the time.

Hnn, I guess I'm in the middle. Don't have any real difficulties most of the time, never wiped, but sometimes it can get really hairy due to the importance of lucky throws in the game.
Just finished a red dungeon, at the end a weak boss and some archers. Ok, so I begin my adventurer hobby, killing things, and take some guys out of the equation. The archers hurt but I manage. End turn, dice roll... 6-7 mobs added.
I begin to feel some heat and take a little beating but at this point I'm more pissed at the possibility of an ambush in a boss fight than anything.
I manage, kill the boss, some archers left to kill, end of turn... 6-7 mobs added.
I came back from it in one piece but bandages were thrown like there was no tomorrow.
All this to say, when the game decides to troll you, it do it right :p

Oh and I retract from the "why make an ot this late", if today is of any indication, there is really a demand for it. Pretty cool to see.

PFD

So I dug into KOTOR's files through iFunBox and found an .ini file containing all the settings. I changed the resolution from 1024x768 to 2048x1536 but sadly nothing happened. The file was reset back to 1024x768 after restarting the game. I'm gonna tinker with this further and see if I can force it to run at retina res.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
AAAAALRIGHT GUYS. I'm not sure anyone remembers me, but I used to be a regular (aka "the guy that recommends Ravensword to everyone, despite not even owning it". I own it by now, though. Still an amazing game). Kind of fell out of the loop in terms of iOS gaming a couple months back for various reasons, been mostly playing boardgames with the amazing iOS boardgame community (shoutout!) since.

Now FINALLY bought myself a new iPad! ... mostly to play boardgames with that are increasingly iPad exclusive. Don't judge me.

Anyway, I'm transferring and re-downloading some iOS games I already had for iPhone (like Infinity Blade 2, Galaxy on Fire HD etcetc.) to see how they look like on the big screen, but... Since I always only had an iPhone, I obviously missed out on some iPad-exclusives. So, my question for you guys:

Are there any iPad-exclusive titles that came out over the past, say, year, that I probably don't have but DEFINITELY need? (e.g. the recently released KOTOR?)

Also, I checked the OP's of the months that I've missed for games that passed me while I was out of the loop and downloaded some of those, awesome work on the OP's, I have to say. Are there any very recent (I stopped reading in like February) games that are amazing that aren't already listed in the OP's of those months? If so, I'm interested in hearing about these as well.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bisonian

So I'm enjoying the first few missions of WHQ. I looked through a couple pages but didn't hear any talk about the IAP. I'm having a blast without it, but are those additional classes worth looking at? If I buy them, can I have a 7 man party or do I have to just pick 4 total? How is the bonus quest pack?

PFD

AAAAALRIGHT GUYS. I'm not sure anyone remembers me, but I used to be a regular (aka "the guy that recommends Ravensword to everyone, despite not even owning it". I own it by now, though. Still an amazing game). Kind of fell out of the loop in terms of iOS gaming a couple months back for various reasons, been mostly playing boardgames with the amazing iOS boardgame community (shoutout!) since.

Now FINALLY bought myself a new iPad! ... mostly to play boardgames with that are increasingly iPad exclusive. Don't judge me.

Anyway, I'm transferring and re-downloading some iOS games I already had for iPhone (like Infinity Blade 2, Galaxy on Fire HD etcetc.) to see how they look like on the big screen, but... Since I always only had an iPhone, I obviously missed out on some iPad-exclusives. So, my question for you guys:

Are there any iPad-exclusive titles that came out over the past, say, year, that I probably don't have but DEFINITELY need? (e.g. the recently released KOTOR?)

Also, I checked the OP's of the months that I've missed for games that passed me while I was out of the loop and downloaded some of those, awesome work on the OP's, I have to say. Are there any very recent (I stopped reading in like February) games that are amazing that aren't already listed in the OP's of those months? If so, I'm interested in hearing about these as well.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Frozen Synapse
Baldur's Gate
Eclipse
Battle of the Bulge
Stratosphere
Wonderputt
Liquidsketch

There's also many universal games that play way better on the ipad, such as Warhammer Quest.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Frozen Synapse
Baldur's Gate
Eclipse
Battle of the Bulge
Stratosphere
Wonderputt
Liquidsketch

There's also many universal games that play way better on the ipad, such as Warhammer Quest.

Frozen Synapse - done already
Baldur's Gate - eeeh
Eclipse - main reason I bought an iPad in the first place, done of course
Battle of the Bulge - RIGHT, I remember! Damn, totally forgot, thanks.

... The other 3 I've never even heard of, will check them out though, thanks!

deuce985

Banned
Anyone want to recommend me some core RPG games on iOS? I bought an Ipad yesterday. I currently have Infinity Blade/Infinity Blade 2. Thinking of downloading 3 classics in KOTOR, Final Fantasy Tactics and Chrono Trigger. Maybe I'll get Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. I much prefer Baldur's Gate 2 though. Did they make an enhanced version for that yet?

Anyways, recommendations? I like pretty much any type of RPG. CRPG, JRPG, ARPG, etc.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
WHQ does quest rewards so well. I've only done 2 story quests but my party is level 3 and I've only been to the first 2 towns. I keep seeing the rewards and redoing the white quests. I have some great Warrior Priest gear ready to go!

Li Kao

In whq tonight I bite the bullet on the 3 IAP characters and I must say at first glance they are really interesting. Not extraordinary mind you, but the warrior priest and archmage all have their own little set of gameplay, not bad.

So the warrior priest can demand a blessing from his god each turn, for the entire party. And at lvl 1 you have two blessings, one to dodge and one to hit better. Evidently with whq origin and obsession about dice rolls you can bet his god ignores him often, but it is a nice little mechanic.
And the archmage is like the grey wizard in that he draw spell points from the winds, but each turn he will have access to defensive or offensive spells. The choice of style is determined by dices evidently ^^
No really, I'm not sure about the price or even their lasting appeal, but at first those are two nice characters.

The trollslayer is more or less your basic dwarf at level 1, just a big bonus when he do a critic, but that's no deal breaker as everybody knows that trollslayers and bugman and dwarves in general are the best thing in warhammer :p

Sats

Banned
Gonna be getting an iPhone 5 next week, for the first time, finally.

What do you guys recommend in the way of iOS games with good amounts of story, maybe RPG/Adventure/Action/etc. games?

Crumbtiny

Shit just look at the Xbox reaction. Half of the people sound like paid Sony viral marketers, and the other half sound like they wanted to hate it no matter what was announced. And iOS always gets a shitty deal, cos we're all hipsters or something.

Man, I thought I was the only one. I just don't understand all the hate and vitriol for the Xbox One. I mean I understand why people are concerned, but all this "MS has lost the hardcore gamer" and ...did i miss something super amazing at the Sony conference that everyone else seems to recall? How are they now the white knight saviors gamers have been waiting for?

I think both MS and Sony are going to do some really exciting stuff this next gen. Just like with the current gen.

Anywhoo! Warhammer Quest!! So glad I checked out this thread because I didn't realize bandages could revive someone! Good to know! The magic stuff makes a little more sense to me now too.

Glad I'm not the only one getting overwhelmed by repeated random monster attacks, now I understand why at least.

And my archer is a beast...when she actually HITS!!! She'll go like 5 or 6 attempts in a row and misses everyone. Just gave my marauder a bow too though, excited to see what he can dish out with it.

So skills that characters learn as they level are just random? That's kinda cool. Loving the game so far though, only a few quests in but glad to see other people are having fun with it too.

yogloo

Holy crap at the ios games flood. I had to force myself to finish up my broken sword games so I can clear out space for kotor and/or warhammer.

RustyO

This was basically my experience as well... initial impressions are pretty meh at the moment.

Secondary impressions are totally meh now.

Tried to show the girlfriend WHQ; crashed 5 seconds in trying to move to a new section of a dungeon. Two serious bugs in two short plays. Not happy.

I have faith in them thanks to Hunters; but so far; it's basically been crap for me.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Did you get Telltales' Poker Night 2 yet? If not, go fetch! What a great game, and I didn't even care for poker before I played this!

Did the first red dungeon I came across (Ministrels Misery or something) and got to what I considered a bug as I couldn't advance past a point / to the next room.

Wandered all the way back the other way to a dead end; then back to where I was previously and now I can advance!?

Not a bug as such I don't think... The game doesn't let you advance into some (boss?) rooms unless your party is all together. Which is generally a good thing.

You just need to guess which doors and how close they need to be ;)

RustyO

Not a bug as such I don't think... The game doesn't let you advance into some (boss?) rooms unless your party is all together. Which is generally a good thing.

You just need to guess which doors and how close they need to be ;)

Nah, it was a bug. All four party members standing at the closest four squares (and moving around a bit on other turns as well)

igor

Gonna be getting an iPhone 5 next week, for the first time, finally.

What do you guys recommend in the way of iOS games with good amounts of story, maybe RPG/Adventure/Action/etc. games?

Bastion
Lili (though it's more of a looker)
Infinity Blade 2
Warhammer Quest?
The World Ends With You
Sworcery
and I think Ravensword has plenty of that, it's basically a mobile Skyrim though youd have to ask others if its good, it certainly looks great

Gaaraz

Oh shit... just watching the most recent IGN app store update (thanks Justin) and I'm so disappointed that Warhammer Quest is basically Hunters ;_;

Not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I thought it was more similar to a Diablo game... d'oh

Nothing against the game, loads of people love Hunters to be fair, just not my thing

Zeliard

Getting frustrating bugs and crashes in WHQ resulting in lost content. It's putting a damper on things. I've had a couple of nice items simply disappear from my inventory (and I definitely didn't trash them), along with crashes at the very end of quests which re-randomized my loot winnings into stuff much worse.

Mik2121

The more I play Warhammer, the more the weird decisions bother me.. the whole game has quite a bunch of little details and stuff, and yet they have weird things like having to rotate the screen to go to inventory or the fact that when you select an item it doesn't get highlighted in any way. Weird...

Owzers

Zenia could be a decent game if it wasn't wait-to-play so heavily, getting deleted soon. I have no patience or desire to play these in-app purchase wait-to-play games.

deim0s

Getting frustrating bugs and crashes in WHQ resulting in lost content. It's putting a damper on things. I've had a couple of nice items simply disappear from my inventory (and I definitely didn't trash them), along with crashes at the very end of quests which re-randomized my loot winnings into stuff much worse.

What are you playing it on? I'm on an iPad Mini never got a single crash - only bug that happens is the encounter card didn't show leading to a boss (and only happened twice).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom