• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
missed so much sorry guys,

game has had multiple patches (nearlly every day fixing bugs and trying to sort out multiplayer ) they just recently added free dlc, which is a scenario mode which contains two areas which are above level 30 which when you quit out game the monsters will respawn. they added new items and numerous other things too,

another free dlc coming out in few weeks, and they will be doing more throughout the year until the next van helsing comes next year which your char can be imported to and carry on the story, keep leveling and powering up.

reviews so far seem great overall its around 77 on metacritic. and most users on steam and other forums are enjoying the game alot
patch notes so far thanks very much to Gez for posting

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Free DLC Update Now Available
Product Release - Valve
Included in update v1.1.00 for free

The Scenario DLC enables players to fight high-level monsters that are above the level 30 threshold throughout the new levels reachable from the Secret Lair. Additional levels will be added to the Scenario DLC throughout the year along with unique in-game items and spectacular boss fights. After future updates, players will earn ’’Heroic Deeds” to boost their character to an even more legendary status as they slay the mysterious threats to the world of Borgovia.

Good hunt, fellow Hunters!

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client (in on-line mode) is restarted.

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.1.00

Known issues:
The multiplayer game still has some issues. Please play it with a character created for the multiplayer only because data loss may occur sometimes.

Balance changes:
- Lady Katarina has percentage based HP regeneration on each difficulty level.

Fixed bugs:
Multiplayer:
- Fixed an issue with Snowpelt.
- Fixed a Multiplayer-related issue with the Parry skill.
- Players cannot teleport outside the map anymore.
- Custom colors of other players work correctly.

General:
- Fixed a rare issue where Lady Katarina forgot which combat form she used last time.
- Fixed the second Set bonus of the Ravenscar Belt. (Giving some Weapon Damage bonus to a Belt doesn't really help much ;) )
- Items couldn’t get dropped inside terrain objects.
- Whirlwind Ornithopters fixed.
- Wasp Ornithopter fixed.
- Assault Ornithopter fixed.
- Some pathfinding improvements have been implemented.

New features:
- Scenario Mode is available in the game.
- Achievements got in-game icons.
SHARE:
31 May 2013The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client (in on-line mode) is restarted.

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.0.07

Known issues:
- The multiplayer game still has some issues. Please play it with a character created for the multiplayer only because data loss may occur sometimes.

Fixed bugs:
- Multiplayer:
- The Server Browser periodically refreshes the list.
- A new column and filter is introduced for searching regional games. (Regional games have lower Ping and thus less lag.)
- "Safety" column removed. Games are available to play if your selected Character shares this option. (Characters stored solely in Steam Cloud can join games featuring similar Characters only. Same rule applies to Hardcore Characters.)
- Fixed an issue which sometimes applied after rejecting to join a Bossfight.
- Fixed an issue with the Drunken Man (remained clickable if the client clicked on him).
- Being invited to a Bossfight automatically cancels any teleportation attempts.
- Players see the traps placed by the host.
- Players can be kicked from the game during the waiting period before Bossfights.
- The client returns to the Main Menu if the host disconnects during loading (loading screen).
- Fixed an issue where conversations got stuck on the screen sometimes.
- NPCs and critters synchronized.
- When a conversation starts all the players are halted.
- Fixed some issues with scripts restarting sometimes.

- General
- Fixed an issue with the Lightning Collectors quest.
- Fixed an issue with the Lost in the Ink quest.
- Fixed an issue with Lady Katarina when she wandered off to gather loot after you respawned, leaving you all alone...
- Fixed a rare crash near the Gorgon Pass Bridge.
- Fixed an issue with the Harpies coming out of the Wishing Well.
- Fixed an issue with the effect of the Earthquake spell.
- Your latest Character appears in the Main Menu (even if you only have Online Characters).
- Fixed an issue with Skill reset.
- The Credits button in the Main Menu closes all other windows.
SHARE:
31 May 2013The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update Released
Product Update - Valve

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.0.06

Known issues:
- The multiplayer game still has some issues. Please play it with a character created for the multiplayer only because data loss may occur sometimes.

Fixed bugs:
- Fixed the bug of the Riddle Wisp drops.
- Fixed some issues of the Hungarian localization.
- Fixed the sounds of the Dreadknecht, Behemoth and Mouthbeast monsters.
- Fixed a bug what makes you unable to respawn in the town
-Multiplayer:
- Some bandwith optimization have been made
- Fixed the camera at the cutscene of Saffi in the Dreadworks
- Fixed bug with exiting and recreating a multiplayer game
SHARE:
29 May 2013The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update Released
Product Update - Valve

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.0.05

Known issues:
- The cutscene after the Lair Siege might trigger once again even if you have done that quest before patch 1.0.05.
- Options are reset in 1.0.05. Sorry for the inconvenience – we had to do it for “greater good”.

Performance:
- Sync CPU to GPU is enabled (default).
- Affect GUI Resolution (Fullscreen) is enabled (default).

Balance changes:
- Second siege slightly weakened

Fixed bugs:
- Multiplayer:
- It should no longer try to join to a friend, when double clicked on them, and they are not in a game.
- There are some quest rewards what you no longer receive, if you have already received once( like ability points, skill points, skills )
- Some performance fixes

- You can now use the Enchanter again.
- Lagging in Lair Sieges fixed
- Fixed "Lair Protected" message at second Lair Siege.
- Fixed a random bug at Borislav's Statue
- Fixed an issue where the active Objective list disappeared after a Lair Siege.
- Fixed the XP requirement of Lady Katarina's 20th level.
- Fixed exploit - Lady Katarina does not return automatically if teleport cancelled.
- Splitting quest item stacks is not possible anymore

New Features
- Polish language available (subtitles only, no audio support)
SHARE:
28 May 2013The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update Released
Product Update - Valve

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.0.04

Known issues:
Fixed bugs:
- Multiplayer:
- Fixed several issues with the server list in different resolutions.
- Fixed a bug that could cause your character to teleport off screen making it impossible to move.
- Fixed a bug where you joined a multiplayer game and get “Quest Completed” windows for every quest that the host has completed.
- Fixed a bug where your character started outside the map when you loaded a multiplayer game.
- Fixed a bug that could potentially cause inconsistencies in single player after playing a multiplayer game (doors not opening, NPCs missing, etc.).

- Lady Katarina shouldn't run away from harmful spells if the player is also standing in them (e.g. if the enemy uses Harmful Sigil she does not try to escape if you are also in the area of the spell).
- Lady Katarina no longer flees from spells that have a very short duration (like explosions).
- Spirit Guardian no longer aid while Lady Katarina is away for shopping.
- The Potions used by Lady Katarina are no longer counted for unlocking the Drinker Perk.
- Fixed an issue with the Sphere of Timelessness. (It no longer causes enemies to become invisible and frozen if you exit and return.)
- Fixed the tooltip of Earthbound Soul for the Earthquake skill. It reduces the Mana cost by 15% from now on.
- Fixed an issue of the Inventory at Forge, Enchant, etc. windows. Right-Clicking on an unusable item (i.e. that you can't use on that particular window) no longer try to equip the item.
- Fixed an issue where summoned monsters could bypass the effect of the Sphere of Timelessness.
- Ray of Destruction uses Rage properly when using PowerUps.
- Fixed a major issue with the Lair Siege where the Werewolf companions of Breda were immune to Grind-O-Pit™ traps. (Breda is still immune to all traps thanks to his trap disabling device.)
- Fixed an issue with the DPS of certain skills.
- Fixed an issue with elevators and direct moving.
- Fixed an issue with the Puddle of Goo (not having a proper effect and not being clickable).
- Fixed the crash at the end of the second Lair Siege.
- Fixed an issue where you could end up stuck in the Lair after quitting and returning while the Siege was in progress.
- Vrikolaks in the Werewolf Den spawn properly.
- Fixed an issue where Vrikolaks spawned out of the map.
SHARE:
28 May 2013The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update Released
Product Update - Valve

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.0.03

Known issues:
Balance changes:
- HP of some champion creatures adjusted in Chapter3
- Some of the random encounters changed

Fixed bugs:
- Multiplayer:
- Fixed a bug: the client player could teleport inside of the wall making him unable to move.
- Added a new line to the tooltip of other player which indicates where the other player is.
- Active quests window fixed (the current progression appears there after joining)
- Version check inserted before joining an online game (configuration files and game version)
- Pressing the “Go online” option in Single no longer shows "Empty name!" but "'s game" instead.
- "Resurrect" appears when you point at a dead character.
- Fixed path finding problems
- "Show Allied HP Bar" option displays the name of the other players above the HP bar.

- Blackthorn item name fixed
- Baskerville Antiques set bonuses fixed
SHARE:
27 May 2013The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update Released
Product Update - Valve

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.0.02

Known issues:
Balance changes:
- The damage of the Explosive Round PowerUp has been adjusted.

Fixed bugs:
- Multiplayer
- Fixed a lot of crash/disconnects.
- Should no longer put you out off the map (the black screen problem)
- The matchmaking window no longer lists lobbies where you can't join (You do not meet the requirements to enter the server). You can still see these servers if you press the "Show full rooms" button.

- Researching the Thunderthr-O-Wer™ properly removes the Trap Plan item from the inventory.
- Music changes properly after the Siege of the Lair
- Fixed some issues that potentially caused FPS drop and stuttering when the game launched from Steam.
- Different types of Vermin have their own race.
- If Lady Katarina is sent to do shopping, then you also start shopping she concludes her transactions right away. (With her usual reduction in the selling price, of course!)
- Some localization issues fixed in German, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese language versions
- The music plays correctly in the Old Town
- The icon and the text of the Ice Bolt spell appear properly
- Fixed effects (e.g. shooting effect)
- Katarina does not change form during Circle of Timelessness
- Fixed ambient sounds on the Rooftop and Old Town maps
- Repeating starting cutscenes (on certain maps) fixed
- Icons added to Achievements

New features:
- 1824x1026 resolution is added
SHARE:
24 May 2013The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Update Released
Product Update - Valve

Major changes include:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing v1.0.01

Known issues:
- The multiplayer game still has some issues. Please use it with a character created for the multiplayer only because data loss may occur sometimes.

Balance changes:
- The Blood Rabbit is a lot stronger now.
- The monsters in the Sewers around the Secret Lair are weaker now.
- The final wave of attackers in the Siege of the Secret Lair has been reduced in numbers.
- The price of some epic items has been modified.
- The shooting range of the Dreadknechts has been decreased

Fixed bugs:
- Multiplayer
 Fixed an issue at "Online character" saving.
 A lot of crash/disconnect issues have been fixed.
 The ping column has been removed from the game list.

- Fixed an issue with the audio volumes.
- Fixed an issue with Veteran Domovoys AI.
- Fixed an issue with the scrollbar in the Ink Gate window.
- The final boss will talk your head off - like he should do.
- The outro movie is played when the final boss has collapsed - not when he gets the killing blow.
- You could only select from the first 10 skills you've learned even though there are 11 active skills. This has been fixed.
- Fixed crash on the Artifact Forge window.
- Fixed an issue with conversations in different resolutions.
- Localisation issues have been fixed in the German, Spanish, Hungarian and Portuguese language versions.
- Cloak appears properly on Van Helsing when the equipped item is changed.
- The area of the bridge detonation cutscene has been adjusted (it could be avoided)
- Fixed a bug with the customize button. (It didn't save your settings if you used online character.)

New features:
- 2560x1080 and 6052x1200 resolutions are supported.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game is going to be $15, judging from the developer's site. The footage I've seen doesn't entirely convince me that it's worth full price, so I'll probably pick it up during the Summer Sale unless it's half off sooner. The 20GB free space requirement on the PC side suggests to me there's either a ton of unnecessary bloat or a ton of content. The latter would be nice; there hasn't been a sprawling hack-and-slash lootwhore ARPG since Titan Quest.

SparkTR

There's been so many of these aRPGs lately that this has to do something really special for it to be worth picking up, and I don't see that looking at videos.

enderep12

Neo Member
Am I the only one who is driven nearly insane by the fact that the guy in the video keeps on learning melee skills and does not use his melee-weapon ONCE in the entire video? he doesn't even change to it -.-

Really enjoyed my time with a preview build. The combat is chunky despite what videos might show - there's a physics toggle in the option. A la carte classless skill/perk/ability trees - also apply to your NPC partner, the ghostly Lady Katarina - with a slew of good crafting and enchantment systems.

Good loot, plus some nice shortcuts to shunt gear across to Katarina for either storage or equipping.

Most enticing for me is the dialog, the music and mission design. It always feels quite fresh, given the witty banter and production values as you traipse over a dark flintlock and sabre version of Europe.

Also, yeah, the melee and ranged combat is great. Ranged especially. Love fiddling about with enchantments and essences on my rifles.

Big thumbs up.

I'll give it the fact that it is a lot more impressive than I thought a Van Helsing game would be. I didn't really see the Diablo aspect coming either. Seems like a Steam sale game.

I'll give it the fact that it is a lot more impressive than I thought a Van Helsing game would be. I didn't really see the Diablo aspect coming either. Seems like a Steam sale game.

One thing about the devs, Neocore, is that they have a killer art department for a small Hungarian mob. However lumpy or flawed the King Arthur strategy games were, they had a terrific aesthetic throughout.

This game is a nice showcase.

Card Boy

Banned
So is the game any good? Its number on the Steam charts at the moment and the store page looks impressive.

• How is the loot?
  • Does the game have randomized areas?
  • What graphics options are there?
  • How extensive is the co-op?
  • Can you make 'builds'?
  • Does it run well?
  • What sets it apart from other games in the genre outside lore and artstyle?
  • Does it have unique mobs?
  • Pets?, if so what do they do?
  • Does it have modding potential?
  • Does it have sidequests?

Grabbed a few screenies of the options menu for you, Gez.

hdp.jpg

idp.jpg

jdp.jpg

To your other questions...well, I'd probably be a bit of a outlier in that I'm not a particularly huge fan of the ARPG, and count my personal favourites - knowing full-well they are not shining examples of the genre - as Dark Spore and Krater. Anyway, in a nutshell...

The loot is great, spread across the usual melee weaponry, rifles and handguns, cuirass armours, gauntlets, boots etc. etc., as well as pendants and rings. Drops are quite frequent and even the junkier gear often has some enchantment or essence that can be thrown into various crafting assemblies. I dunno, it'd be nice to hear from a Diablo vet who loves his Horadric Cube and see how it all compares.

Randomised areas? I dunno, I don't think so. At least not yet. Granted, I've only played the first 'chapter', and none of that randomised. Early days.

Graphics options, see above.

Co-op, not sure.

Not sure what you mean by builds.

Runs very well, quite scaleable. Ran it on my older dual-core laptop and it ran smoothly with a lot of the bells and whistles on.

I'd need a Diablo or Torchlight vet to get in here and answer what sets it apart mechanically.

If by unique mobs, you mean champions or enchanted mobs, I've certainly run into groups with champions and small roaming 'bosses'.

Don't think it has pets, but if you're looking for NPC comrades and an extra backpack for loot, Lady Katarina has you covered.

Not sure on the modding aspect.

Lots of sidequests.

KKRT00

Thats quite a nice set of options.

--
What would "Sync CPU to GPU" do? I don't think I've ever seen an option for that in another game before.

I think its the same as maximum per-rendered frames in nvidia inspector or some games, so basically it decreases input lag.

smr00

Banned
Played the beta and continued that save last night for another 2 hours and couldn't get back into the game.

Not a fan of it's combat mechanics, there is no real variety like a torchlight/diablo. You are stuck with swords (not a fan) and pistols (which get boring) The world they tried to create was interesting and there some interesting story beats but i just can't seem to get back into the game. I put like 4-5 hours into the beta and that was more then enough time. The game suffers from only having one class which is helsing. You are stuck using 2 of the most overused combat styles in ARPGs. When i play a ARPG i want variety because 90% of an ARPG is plowing through enemies and if you don't offer real variety it gets boring QUICK.

Card Boy

Banned
Cheers Pylon_Trooper for the info.

Not a fan of it's combat mechanics, there is no real variety like a torchlight/diablo. You are stuck with swords (not a fan) and pistols (which get boring) The world they tried to create was interesting and there some interesting story beats but i just can't seem to get back into the game. I put like 4-5 hours into the beta and that was more then enough time. The game suffers from only having one class which is helsing. You are stuck using 2 of the most overused combat styles in ARPGs. When i play a ARPG i want variety because 90% of an ARPG is plowing through enemies and if you don't offer real variety it gets boring QUICK.

This i one thing I never thought about, having the one class. Is there any other problems you see with the game?

And there's the Diablo vet we needed.

I didn't have a problem with the single class or the firearm/sword weapon aspect, but then again, I liked mucking about with the enchantments and the skill combos you can attach to them - dum dum rounds, etc.

Played the beta and continued that save last night for another 2 hours and couldn't get back into the game.

You helped me understand why I always flock to magic when playing ARPGs. I'll dump all I have into Intelligence.

Definity

I've been watching a few streams of this game. Seems kinda cool. It's a little over $13 right now on steam. Think I will go ahead and pull the trigger.

Duallusion

There's no tower defense element to it, as it seemed in one of the launch trailers I saw? Shame; I was hoping it was a ARPG/tower defense hybrid.

This game is an 85 on Metacritic. It is a 90 for me; I think it blows Torchlight 2 and Sacred 2 out of the water. I'd like to elaborate, but I am feeling very sick right now. I only played on heroic and rolled about 10 guys because some of my builds were not viable by the first huge boss. I don't play that many ARPGs so I did not take my high opinion as valid, but there are the scores:

Hooked Gamers: 90
The game is very well done and interesting to play and with the option of four player co-op, which means four Van Helsings and four Lady Katarinas, I cannot but give the game my highest recommendation for any Action RPG fan looking for a thrilling experience. Get this game, dear reader. You will not be disappointed.

GameOver.gr 85
More than 15 hours long, engaging atmosphere, rich level design, 4-player co-op mode and the Rage system. These are some of the things that make us think that the €10,99 launch price makes The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing one of the best indie experiences available on Steam right now.

Canadian Online Gamers 84
It really gives some recent Action RPG’s like Diablo III a run for their money, at a fraction of the cost. It truly felt like I was playing a full retail title.

Strategy Informer 80
What The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing may lack in replayability it makes up for in competence, enthusiasm and easy charm. The moment to moment slaughter, the deceptively deep levelling and abundance of powerful loot mean it's a difficult game to put down.

I'll try and find some art or take a good screenshot for a new Avatar, only 4 post away from being a member after 5 years :D

whyman

Wow this game is great. If you like action rpg games you should get this. Im not very far in but allready im having more fun than in Diablo 3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I gave it a try and played for about 30 minutes yesterday. Seems pretty damn good. Definitely lacking in that certain "oomph" when hitting enemies, but otherwise it seems really well put together. Seems like a damn good value so far.

this game comes out in like 1 day on steam, it looks fairly interesting from seeing the steam page but im guessing its gonna bomb been no press around it at all. coming out on 360 too

the graphics look pretty awesome tho 4 player co-op too :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XZrkF4Dols

Make this into the OT and put the reviews on there.

This game will not bomb, I think it is good enough that it will eventually become at least as big as Torchlight. At that price it will be easy to recommend as well.

Game is fun, just wish it had randomized levels.

Melee seems much easier than ranged. Cleave's lifesteal is too crazy + you get a super sword at level 5.

Blizzard

Banned
This game is selling quite well judging by the Steam charts. I think I read that this game has no new game+ option? Is there a point of no return where you are told you are about to end the game and can never go back to level up more? If not, how does it work?

Game is surprisingly cool for the $15 asking price. Ive been playing it for 5 hours and enjoying it a lot. They have some good ideas like a rage meter that you can use to buff your spells and the graphics are quite good. Variety is lacking. There are no random maps and every enemy spawns in the same place. Id like also to see more magic variety and I dont know how to change spells on the fly, so Im usually stuck with my main attack and just one spell on the right button, wich can lead to tedious repetition.

Game is surprisingly cool for the $15 asking price. Ive been playing it for 5 hours and enjoying it a lot. They have some good ideas like a rage meter that you can use to buff your spells and the graphics are quite good. Variety is lacking. There are no random maps and every enemy spawns in the same place. Id like also to see more magic variety and I dont know how to change spells on the fly, so Im usually stuck with my main attack and just one spell on the right button, wich can lead to tedious repetition.

I believe it is tab that switches. I think x switches weapons so you can technically get 6 different attacks. I rebound my keys so these my be different.

spirity

This is a pretty fun blast. There's only two trees really, melee and ranged, and another one for utility buffs like auras and an aoe heal. You have a 'pet' in the form of a ghost companion, she levels up and can be assigned stats and abilities. Interestingly, you can configure her to hoover up all the loot, or specific types of loot like gold or rare, or epic stuff. She's ok in a fight, but she had some trouble with the first 'champion' pack I came across, I had to cast the aoe heal. I have her charging in atm and tanking for me, but I can configure her to stand back and cast, or be completely neutral and do nothing, which gives me a 10% bonus to defence. They've essentially remade the Torchlight pets and added fr configuration to them. The ghost pet has 6 equipment slots.

The builds themselves look ok I suppose. It doesn't have the complexity of PoE and anyone looking for that will be disappointed. I'm not sure if I should be concentrating on melee or ranged, or if I should be doing a bit of both, haven't played it for long enough to gauge whats optimal yet. You also get perks as you level and gain reputation, one of them was an extra loot tab, others were 10% bonuses to such and such. Graphics look good, animation seems fluid enough. Loot can be socketed and its the standard fare, hit points, dodge, mana, hp, dps etc. I've picked up 1 or 2 orange items, about 3 or 4 blues and a bunch of greys. I can't really make an assessment on the loot yet.

I'm not sure I'll be playing it a month from now, but its a fine game all the same. Especially for that price.

helsing3_zps3af9b011.png

helsing2_zpsc1087eac.png

helsing1_zps4f255e58.png

I have been enjoying this game quite a lot and, even though some people are experiencing issues with Co-Op, developer support has been stellar and they have been working seemingly tirelessly to keep fixing/patching things. 4 patches thus far since release.

As noted above, it doesn't have quite the in depth skill tree as some other ARPGs do, but it does have a story and characters which are memorable and the systems that are there are done quite well. Most everything appears to be voice acted and I enjoy the graphics as well as the music. I had some odd stuttering I was able to overcome with Sync CPU to GPU option in the advanced video settings.

Even though you only have one avatar to play with, Abraham Van Helsing, one can essentially build a ranged character, a melee character or a magic centric character and each plays differently. Your companion allows for greater strategic use as to when they use a health potion, how they attack or if they function as a passive buff as well as being a mule that you can modify what/how they pick up. Customization is not that much in character creation, outside of color differentials. You can customize your skills though, and with the use of the Rage mechanic, it can really change what/how you play.

You can switch between ranged and melee with R and Tab will allow you to switch between 2 predefined special powers you use. You can also select any of your powers/skills on the fly by assigning them to a key between F1-F8 and then pressing the key.

Loot itemization is good and seems to cover the gamut of affixes and and, as mentioned above, you can equip some loot on your spectral companion as well to modify her to work more effectively as a ranged or melee character. There are some interesting crafting/combining/gambling mechanics as well. Don't be afraid to spend your money.

The world is not randomized. The world also, albeit in a somewhat crude fashion, does change how it reacts to you in at least one situation, based on how you solve a quest, allowing for some more replayability. I love randomized worlds, but I'm also a sucker for well designed content, and this content is well designed and thought out with hidden delights to discover. I would wish for an endgame that had a randomized dungeon or bottomless monster pit, but I'm not sure that would fit in the mythos or the rest of the game. Maybe in subsequent chapters? Your character will be able to transfer to the other chapters in the game, so say the devs.

The game seems to end at Act 3 and there is a level cap of 30 which is attainable solely through running through the game once. No discernible New Game +. Mobs do not respawn (which is actually nice when you exit and come back and don't have repop all around). With respawn, I could see one outleveling the content easily which does not appear to level with you. Standard difficutly levels are in place, with a chance for better loot at harder difficulties and in HC as well.

I've played a good 5-6 hours or so and truly enjoyed what I've done thus far, even if I've only gotten to the beginning of Act 2 on my ranged character. I've easily already gotten my 15$ out of it and will continue playing and quite likely get the next 2 installments in the series. As someone who has enjoyed ARPGs for well over 10 years, I find this a welcome addition to the genre and look forward to hopping back in here shortly with my newly created melee character.

ys45

Game is actually not bad i played around 10h so far (maybe more) currently lvl 17 at chapter 2 i think .

You can get 1-2 shot if you are not careful with mobs pack . the only thing i don't like is skills you only get 2 skills you can use with either gun or sword which is not that much (+ 2 other special skills with long cool down)

I have been enjoying this game quite a lot and, even though some people are experiencing issues with Co-Op, developer support has been stellar and they have been working seemingly tirelessly to keep fixing/patching things. 4 patches thus far since release.

As noted above, it doesn't have quite the in depth skill tree as some other ARPGs do, but it does have a story and characters which are memorable and the systems that are there are done quite well. Most everything appears to be voice acted and I enjoy the graphics as well as the music. I had some odd stuttering I was able to overcome with Sync CPU to GPU option in the advanced video settings.

Even though you only have one avatar to play with, Abraham Van Helsing, one can essentially build a ranged character, a melee character or a magic centric character and each plays differently. Your companion allows for greater strategic use as to when they use a health potion, how they attack or if they function as a passive buff as well as being a mule that you can modify what/how they pick up. Customization is not that much in character creation, outside of color differentials. You can customize your skills though, and with the use of the Rage mechanic, it can really change what/how you play.

You can switch between ranged and melee with R and Tab will allow you to switch between 2 predefined special powers you use. You can also select any of your powers/skills on the fly by assigning them to a key between F1-F8 and then pressing the key.

Loot itemization is good and seems to cover the gamut of affixes and and, as mentioned above, you can equip some loot on your spectral companion as well to modify her to work more effectively as a ranged or melee character. There are some interesting crafting/combining/gambling mechanics as well. Don't be afraid to spend your money.

The world is not randomized. The world also, albeit in a somewhat crude fashion, does change how it reacts to you in at least one situation, based on how you solve a quest, allowing for some more replayability. I love randomized worlds, but I'm also a sucker for well designed content, and this content is well designed and thought out with hidden delights to discover. I would wish for an endgame that had a randomized dungeon or bottomless monster pit, but I'm not sure that would fit in the mythos or the rest of the game. Maybe in subsequent chapters? Your character will be able to transfer to the other chapters in the game, so say the devs.

The game seems to end at Act 3 and there is a level cap of 30 which is attainable solely through running through the game once. No discernible New Game +. Mobs do not respawn (which is actually nice when you exit and come back and don't have repop all around). With respawn, I could see one outleveling the content easily which does not appear to level with you. Standard difficutly levels are in place, with a chance for better loot at harder difficulties and in HC as well.

I've played a good 5-6 hours or so and truly enjoyed what I've done thus far, even if I've only gotten to the beginning of Act 2 on my ranged character. I've easily already gotten my 15$ out of it and will continue playing and quite likely get the next 2 installments in the series. As someone who has enjoyed ARPGs for well over 10 years, I find this a welcome addition to the genre and look forward to hopping back in here shortly with my newly created melee character.
Great impressions. Sounds really cool and I like the setting. Is there a decent narrative?

Great impressions. Sounds really cool and I like the setting. Is there a decent narrative?

Glad to be of service!

In my opinion, there is a good narrative. I'm only a bit over 1/3 of the way through so it could all fall apart, but the banter and the interaction with NPCs really leads toward you feeling invested in the game world and characters. There definitely is a progression in the story as well, and I'm sure it will continue to be fleshed out in the 2 coming chapters (part 2 to come in 6 months and the third in 1 year to finish the arc) and, maybe, the free DLC promised as post release support by Neocore. On that note, they released the fifth patch today, showing they really do care about fixing issues and taking care of their fans/players/licensee purchasers.

There is some levity as there are jokes referential to literature and other games. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but it's serious in its execution, if that makes sense. Consistently dark but I smile at some of the quips. Not to the levels of absurdity that Sacred 2 offered in some places, if that's a good benchmark.

I did forget the 2 allowable tricks and auras as well. The auras are always on and the tricks are the aforementioned 2 skills with long cooldowns. They both appear to come from a pool of 8, even though you only start with one.

There is quite a bit of customization that isn't apparent at first glance of the trees while allowing for that D2 feeling of bumping your favorite skills up for that minmaxer in all of us. Respecs are done in a point by point basis at certain trainers obtainable after a side quest and later on I'm sure.

I'm only too happy to answer any other questions anyone may have, if I can. This is a really enjoyable game that I would have had no issues paying double for and I do love a well crafted world. It's only more enjoyable with friends.

Glad to be of service!

In my opinion, there is a good narrative. I'm only a bit over 1/3 of the way through so it could all fall apart, but the banter and the interaction with NPCs really leads toward you feeling invested in the game world and characters. There definitely is a progression in the story as well, and I'm sure it will continue to be fleshed out in the 2 coming chapters (part 2 to come in 6 months and the third in 1 year to finish the arc) and, maybe, the free DLC promised as post release support by Neocore. On that note, they released the fifth patch today, showing they really do care about fixing issues and taking care of their fans/players/licensee purchasers.

There is some levity as there are jokes referential to literature and other games. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but it's serious in its execution, if that makes sense. Consistently dark but I smile at some of the quips. Not to the levels of absurdity that Sacred 2 offered in some places, if that's a good benchmark.

I did forget the 2 allowable tricks and auras as well. The auras are always on and the tricks are the aforementioned 2 skills with long cooldowns. They both appear to come from a pool of 8, even though you only start with one.

There is quite a bit of customization that isn't apparent at first glance of the trees while allowing for that D2 feeling of bumping your favorite skills up for that minmaxer in all of us. Respecs are done in a point by point basis at certain trainers obtainable after a side quest and later on I'm sure.

I'm only too happy to answer any other questions anyone may have, if I can. This is a really enjoyable game that I would have had no issues paying double for and I do love a well crafted world. It's only more enjoyable with friends.

Bought! So many good ~15 dollar games of late (Blood Dragon, Gunslinger, now Van Helsing).

I do hope you enjoy it. I would feel bad if I evangelized a game someone didn't enjoy, but we are all snowflakes and everyone's perception differs based on their Self.

I was going to go into the lack of choice of gender for the character being a negative on the customization, since it was dealbreaker for my wife, but I feel the rest of the diversity the game offers overshadows that. I hope Grim Dawn can sate our co-op desires.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts as you progress through the game. I really feel like more people should play this. The fact that it was so high in the Steam Top Sellers listing since release made me hope this thread would gain some traction, but maybe she'll burn slowly and twice as bright. All the better for an indie developer, right?

antitrop

This game is actually surprisingly polished and "tight" feeling from a gameplay perspective, but it seems to be a technical nightmare.

No amount of settings fuckery seems to give me anything stable, the frame rate flies literally between 20 to 75 (with Vsync off). Average seems to be about 35-45. Even when the game locks 60 it still stutters at what would appear to be a frame rate of about 20 here and there.

I spent at least 30 minutes trying different configurations of settings, but to no avail. This is entirely outside of what I would expect from this game, as I can max out Diablo III or Path of Exile and downsample them at 60fps. It's not me, it's Van Helsing. 30fps and massive stuttering at 1080p on an overclocked i7-2600k and GTX 590? Nah, I don't buy that.

EDIT: I've fixed it quite a bit, but still not where I would expect for this type of game.

The latest patch did reset all video settings, so I've had to tweak mine back away from the jitters, but it seems to be doing well. -EDIT- Still kinda jittery even after more tweaking and resetting it to how it was in 1.004 - Maybe something else changed in the patch? -EDIT- My C2D E 8400 is usually my bottleneck these days but, gratefully, my GTX 560 helps smooth out the rest of the ride.

Heh. I do that point blank shooting with my ranged character. Have in virtually every ARPG. I gave the best melee weapon to Katrina and my ranged DPS is substantially higher (to an order of 3 times, actually) than my melee damage currently is.

I dislike the lack of reactivity of mobs as well. Makes it a bit less impactful. Gratefully, the responsiveness is good and you can even cancel out of some animations if need be. If a boss starts an attack and I'm in range, I can actually move out of range. That acknowledgment of my skill is worth more to me than increased mob animations. Stuns/Freezes do take place and are noticeable when triggered.

-EDIT2- Nice news regarding Endgame, which didn't really exist:

You can expect Scenario mod by a FREE DLC pretty soon. It will be playable in single player and in co-op mode as well. It kicks off with two levels featuring 30+ level monsters and you will have a Lair (with merchants, laboratory, etc.) Monsters respawn in the Scenario (if you leave the game to the main menu and go back). Later we will add new levels, interesting end game scripts, boss fights and unique items. Although we will not increase the level cap instead you can collect “heroic deeds” which boost your character.-EDIT2-

antitrop

I wish this game was getting more attention. It's very good and I'm having a ton of fun despite a frame rate lower than Crysis 3.

Card Boy

Banned
Waiting what could be like 3-4 months to save $10 seems kind of weird to me, but I suppose if it's the principle of the thing...

It all adds up, plus i'm not in a hurry to play it as i got other games, movies and books to read plus work and school.

Dmax3901

Yeah I'd be interested if it had a great story/quests. I'd say Torchlight 2 is my favourite ARPG (was never a fan of the genre and didn't play Diablo growing up), Path of Exile lost my attention pretty quick.

None of these games seems to have a good story, it's just go here kill lots of shit, bring it back sell your stuff, is Helsing just more of that?

Top Bottom