• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One controller uses AA batteries

whitehawk

Banned
This is a bummer. While there isn't a bump on the back of the controller anymore, it's still using AA batteries for some reason.

20130514-xbox-one-005t2u3p.jpg

Wired.com said:
The controller still takes AA batteries, but the humplike compartment is gone. So are the screwholes.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one-photos/?viewall=true

CookTrain

Seems a very divisive issue... some people loathe AAs, some people love them. Having a spare set always on charge is a really nice thing.

commedieu

Banned
Eh.. out of all the terrible news, I think this is the best? Easy to replace...unless they are MS only AA batteries?

sangreal

this is a good thing

don't worry, I'm sure they will happily sell a rechargeable pack for $30 if you demand 1st party rechargeables

Orayn

Stick with your guns, I guess. At least the battery compartment is flush with the back of the controller this time around.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What? I thought they said internal battery during the conference.... : (

GHG

If you want to use rechargeable batteries you have to buy a license every time you recharge them.

Madness

Haven't used AA batteries in a long time. Seems ridiculous, at least have an internal lithium ion rechargeable battery inside.

Fehyd

Banned
Better than an internal battery.

I honestly think I've lost controllers through wear and tear before I've noticed a significantly lessened battery life.

Its an extra painful dynamic in 360 controllers that is unnecessary, and really should've been removed.

I had a controller that I left dead AA batteries in them for too long.... the controller was dead dead with the alkalyn shit melted inside. The

I was using the Deluxe controller for over a year and half and forgot about my standard controller.

AA batteries for controllers = shiiit

Eusis

Terrible.

Who the fuck uses batteries anymore?
I imagine you meant AAs, because taken straight that is the most ludicrous statement I've seen in a long time.

... and I'd wager many appliances and TV remotes still depend on them, but they're not high end electronics or at least play a smaller role relative to something like the console controller.

Abandond

I cannot remember the last time I have personally used a battery.

Like the past two years I've had the same pack of AA & AAA which I've given to family for their remote controls, lol.

Fantastic.

Eneloops have stayed charged longer than any built in/official rechargable battery pack that I've ever used AND keep their charge longer.

I'm still using the pack I about 3-4 years ago after giving up on Microsoft's awful rechargable packs. Those damn things would start to die after a year or less.

...Still? :/

That kind of sucks. At least they've gotten rid of the battery compartment lump on the back of the 360 controller, though.

Persona7

Banned
Great news, eneloops beat the crap out of Xbox rechargeable batteries.

I think the batteries inside 360 packs are basically eneloops? I broke one open before and it was two sanyo branded batteries soldered to a board. You just can't replace them.

Top Bottom