• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasurenauts (Renegade Kid × 3DS eShop × Platforming) Details

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nintendo Everything: First Treasurenauts details

Nintendo Everything said:
A few months ago, a new game from Mutant Mudds developer Renegade Kid was outed through a trademark filing: “Treasurenauts”. The studio has, for the most part, been keeping quiet about the project.

This month’s issue of Nintendo Force finally offers up some information. The magazine interviewed Renegade Kid co-founder Jools Watsham, who shared all sorts of interesting details about the 3DS eShop game.

Here’s a roundup of his comments:

- Treasurenauts are a varied band of heroes, adventurers, and misfits
- At least 8 unique characters
- Some need to be unlocked
- Two tiers to the character selection process
- Tier 1: only cosmetic; no effect on gameplay
- Tier 2: weapon type; choose from sword, firearm, and bomb
- Weapons have different strengths and weaknesses over other weapons
- Sword: close range, fast attack rate, medium damage
- Firearm: long range, medium attack, low damage
- Bomb: medium range, slow attack rate, high damage
- Looking to provide a very different gameplay experience compared to Mutant Mudds
- 2D art style like Mutant Mudds
- More towards 16-bit rather than 8-bit or 12-bit

- Music also pays homage to the 16-bit era
- World map is a treasure map
- This is like the world map from Super Mario World
- Navigate the treasure map to access the different levels
- When you complete a level, a new level on the treasure map opens up
- Sometimes you may not be able to advance past the first screen of the new level since a pathway is out of your reach or is blocked by an obstacle that can’t be tackled at that time
- New ability power-ups or a second teammate may come into play in these situations
- Local multiplayer
- Download Play supported

- Stand on a friends’ head to reach a high platform
- Double Jump ability included in the game
- Each player can be equipped with a different weapon type
- Some areas have dual pressure pads that must be triggered together, leading to a special door with a lot of treasure, a completely separate secret pathway, etc.
- Don’t have to stay together with your friend in the level
- Can send a special voodoo summon to your teammate, allowing them to warp to you instantly
- Bosses included
- Defeat them to earn power-up abilities such as Double Jump
- Health is tied to wealth
- If hit by an enemy, some of your treasure will be lost
- Some of the treasure can be recovered if you move fast enough and regather it while it’s blinking on the ground
- A certain percentage is lost for good
- Multiple endings
- Endings affected by your treasure amount
- Aiming for Q4 release

Be sure to check out the May/June 2013 issue of Nintendo Force for the game’s first screenshots and full interview with Watsham.

AU7Amsc.gif

Edit-

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Love renegade kid! I can't wait to check this out. Mutant Mudds is one of my favourites from the eShop

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Man, This sounds really great - cant wait for a trailer. 2013 - year of the eShop.

D-e-f-

Banned
How is there zero word on what basic genre this is, though?

From all the little bits and pieces it sounds like a 2D sidescrolling action adventure game with RPG and Metroid-like backtracking elements.

Nice, they confirmed a PC version ?

Nope. :)

vareon

GAF help, who is speaking the truth here?

If you have a 3DS you can download Mutant Mudds' demo. All I can say is Mutant Mudds is a solid platformer. Not groundbreaking or jaw droppingly awesome, but a solid you-get-what-you-expected title. Plus cool music.

D-e-f-

Banned
GAF help, who is speaking the truth here?

It's really cool high precision and pattern-based platforming. In the vein of very early Mega Man but a little slower and without the high energy soundtrack.

It's neither the best thing ever or mediocre/overrated. It is really cool, is all. And the 3D effect with the three layers is really really awesome.

What does this even mean? I've never even heard of '12-bit'.

Can't you extrapolate from that, though? You know what 8-bit looks like, you know what 16 bit looks like. Then you look at pics from Mutant Mudds and see that it's somewhere in between. There you go! :)

Can't you extrapolate from that, though? You know what 8-bit looks like, you know what 16 bit looks like. Then you look at pics from Mutant Mudds and see that it's somewhere in between. There you go! :)

Except that's not how it works.

It's how the devs described the look of Mutant Mudds. A better description would be "pseudo-retro pixel art that makes no attempt to look authentic".

I'd say that's an apt description of '8-bit', '12-bit' or even '16-bit'.

gerudoman

Sounds great, can't wait to see footage. Hopefully it will have more varied gameplay and backgrounds than Mutant Mudds.

heringer

Agree with the thought of Mutant Mudds being a utterly mediocre platformer. It's considered mediocre even by iOS standards, which are generally lower.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Renegade Kid hype? Andrex thread? Andrex thread.

Looking forward to this. Mutant Mudds was a good retro-platformer. They do need a better composer for their games, however. Soundtracks always seem very bland.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Looking forward to this. Mutant Mudds was a good retro-platformer. They do need a better composer for their games, however. Soundtracks always seem very bland.

WHOA now. Let's not say things we can't take back. Mutant Mudds' soundtrack was its best asset.

I loved Mutant Mudds so much so this is an instant day one purchase for me. I can't wait!

Mutant Mudds has an absolutely superb soundtrack. Seriously, I loved it so much I would listen to it in my car on occasion (which I rarely do with 8-bit soundtracks).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
WHOA now. Let's not say things we can't take back. Mutant Mudds' soundtrack was its best asset.

I loved Mutant Mudds so much so this is an instant day one purchase for me. I can't wait!

Mutant Mudds has an absolutely superb soundtrack. Seriously, I loved it so much I would listen to it in my car on occasion (which I rarely do with 8-bit soundtracks).

I found it so very underwhelming, and I usually enjoy chiptunes.

rjc571

Banned
Agreed. I still liked Mudds more than (the equally overrated) MSF though.

Indie crown on 3DS would go to Clive or VVVVVV imo.

Can't say I agree with this. Mutant Mudds and MSF destroy the crap out of VVVVVV and Gunman Clive in terms of controls and level design.

I found it so very underwhelming, and I usually enjoy chiptunes.
To each his own, I suppose. Just talking about the soundtrack has me humming a song from it now, and it's been months since I've touched the game. The way all the layers and segments of the songs came together was simply masterful, in my opinion.

Can't say I agree with this. Mutant Mudds and MSF destroy the crap out of VVVVVV and Gunman Clive in terms of controls and level design.
I'd say VVVVVV's world design pretty easily bests both, for complexity, challenge and physics. Controls are pitch perfect too, and easily as (or more) responsive as either.

I think Clive is a more simplified experience, but also a better total package. It's not a glorified score runner like MSF, it's not a platformer that demands perfect runs like Mudds, it's just fun.

Looks great

This and shovel knight are becoming two of my most anticipated games

And that Zelda like game for the gunman Clive dev. Can't wait to see something on that.

Top Bottom