• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 cloud processing: end of A.I

Microsoft just showed off Forza Motorsport 5 at the Xbox briefing at the Electronic Entertainment Expo. And this title not only looks sweet. It has an innovation in “cloud processing,” said Dan Greenawalt, creative director at Turn 10 Studios.

In this case, Greenawalt says the artificial intelligence processing of the race cars has been offloaded to the cloud. As a result, we will see the “end of A.I.,” he said. That means that the “Drivatar” character that mimics your driving patterns will be based in the cloud as a “learning agent.” It means that the car will race smarter, nailing corners when it turns on a track, just like a human driver will.

That’s a tall order, but that’s what Greenawalt promised with Forza Motorsport 5.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/10/forza-motorsport-5s-cloud-processing-means-the-end-of-a-i/

Kiraly

Still the fucking same damage 'model' (textures on the car being replaced with chipped off paint) eh, Turn10? Fuck off.

Noshino

Greenawalt says the artificial intelligence processing of the race cars has been offloaded to the cloud. As a result, we will see the “end of A.I.

uh.....

Greenawalt never disappoints, he always has something stupid to say

Ugh...

It's still AI guys...

Also, what exactly is only possible with the cloud here? GT5 already saves your pilots on the "cloud" for everyone else to use, and there was other games (I'm gonna say Shift but it might have been another one, not sure), where the game learned from your play style.

More "power of the cloud" bullshit.

P44

ITS TIME SHIFTED MULTIPLAYER :p

Nah, just kidding, its what me and my mates kept saying to eahc other about RR3. :p
Could be ok. We'll see, I guess.

Raist

Banned
So let me get this straight. You can have the game play and earn XP or whatever while you'r working? Rewind was already silly, but that's reaching whole new levels of stupidity.

shaowebb

I wonder if I could recreate Forza trolling in the AI if I play nothing but Speeding up in corners and rearending people during drift zones? This has a lot of potential for good, but some AMAZING potential for folks to troll the hell out of the game online and make the AI absolutely horrifying.

How much of this is cloud processing? My guess is that all the heavy lifting is done by the console itself while the actual data is just stored on the clouds...

PG2G

I think the takeaway is that the AI isn't simply code sitting on your disc any longer, it is continuously improving and modeled after other real players. I imagine something like this would be perfect as bots in a FPS for example.

Boogdud

I wonder if I could recreate Forza trolling in the AI if I play nothing but Speeding up in corners and rearending people during drift zones? This has a lot of potential for good, but some AMAZING potential for folks to troll the hell out of the game online and make the AI absolutely horrifying.

How about just exclusively driving the wrong way on every track?

i-Lo

They go on stage and say "infinite power of cloud" without specifying and then talk to Geoff to let him know that the cloud relieves burden so that the hardware can render better graphics. So cloud is not going to be used for graphics and yet they had no qualms about misleading folks.

Still, the game looks good (from what little actual game footage was there).

AkuMifune

Banned
Drivatar is the dumbest. People don't have wildly different driving styles. There is barely personality in driving, unless you're a professional F1 driver maybe.

I like to weave left and right all the time! I never win, but hey! Drivatar!

PG2G

Ugh...

It's still AI guys...

Also, what exactly is only possible with the cloud here? GT5 already saves your pilots on the "cloud" for everyone else to use, and there was other games (I'm gonna say Shift but it might have been another one, not sure), where the game learned from your play style.

Since I haven't played GT5, what do you mean by saving your pilot? Is it simply pre-recorded runs or is it actually monitoring your behavior as a driver and building a model around it?

Sooo.... the game records how you race, translates that into an AI behavior, and uses that as the other drivers in your friend's races?

I'd like to know how much depth there is to these personalities. But at the very least I'm a fan of the concept because I think this is the exact kind of data that will lead to dramatic improvements in racing AI.

But does this mean Forza 5 is online-only?

Hari Seldon

This is legit. This is exactly what the cloud would be best at. Gathering data and pumping it through a machine learning algorithm and then spitting back AI parameters when you boot up the game. This is what netflix and amazon do behind the scenes for their recommendation algorithms.

I still don't understand how they are creating that much detail for hundreds of cars in this short amount of time since forza 4, especially on a new console considering how long it took gt5 to come out

PG2G

How much of this is cloud processing? My guess is that all the heavy lifting is done by the console itself while the actual data is just stored on the clouds...

I'm guessing the console does a recording of your race, uploads it to the 'cloud' and some very detailed behavior analysis is done there. Then some random console pulls down the data and your behavior is used as an AI.

It is really awesome IMO, and a perfect use of the cloud.

Sooo.... the game records how you race, translates that into an AI behavior, and uses that as the other drivers in your friend's races?

I'd like to know how much depth there is to these personalities. But at the very least I'm a fan of the concept because I think this is the exact kind of data that will lead to dramatic improvements in racing AI.

But does this mean Forza 5 is online-only?

In the demo it showed some of the kind of behavior it was detected at each turn and what not, seemed fairly detailed. I bet the game as default AI code to fall back on, or caches some for when you're not online.

Top Bottom