• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 cloud processing: end of A.I

Raist

Banned
Sooo.... the game records how you race, translates that into an AI behavior, and uses that as the other drivers in your friend's races?

I'd like to know how much depth there is to these personalities. But at the very least I'm a fan of the concept because I think this is the exact kind of data that will lead to dramatic improvements in racing AI.

But does this mean Forza 5 is online-only?

Well every One game is online only anyway :p

So the cloud is made up from ghosts? Something that has been around in racing games for ages? Really?
Adaptive ghosts, personalized to how other players drive.

Not sure how that works (how much variation are we talking about?), but in theory it could be a serious improvement. AI and image quality were my biggest problems with Forza 4.

Also, doesnt Turn 10 use some kind of cloud adaptive learning system when calculating a car's PI? Don't they run it against courses and see how it handles over time? Or am I making that up? ;P

Edit: looks that way vvv. I don't consider the AI in Forza to be all that great though.

Ocaso

It's cool, but the end of AI is an exaggeration. It's AI determined by how you perform, not a new concept, but making it so that your personal AI can continue to compete against others is an interesting use of cloud storage, and it'd be particularly awesome if it gets integrated into FPS games as well.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
i3Y8D3VsFbUkO.jpg

Since I haven't played GT5, what do you mean by saving your pilot? Is it simply pre-recorded runs or is it actually monitoring your behavior as a driver and building a model around it?

You give it orders during b-races, it levels up and builds its racing style. Then you share it for others to use. It's for B-Spec racing only but the concept is pretty much the same. It's still AI being taught and shared online.

Depending on how good their algorithm is, this could produce some interesting racers. But I'll believe in it when I see it. On the plus side, with cloud features being a default XBL thing, it means all developers can tap into it pretty easily without excessive cost. Maybe somebody will actually do something clever with it. But still... I'll believe in it when I see it.

farisr

They confirmed that Forza 5 can be played offline. So the cloud stuff is optional... and what was the point of making online required again Microsoft? Weren't all first party games supposed to take full advantage of the cloud and bring everyone experiences not possible without a connection, make up for graphical faults and limited RAM.

They confirmed that Forza 5 can be played offline. So the cloud stuff is optional... and what was the point of making online required again Microsoft? Weren't all first party games supposed to take full advantage of the cloud and bring everyone experiences not possible without a connection, make up for graphical faults and limited RAM.

Of course it was gonna work online...

For the curious, the game downloads the AI profiles while ur online and saves it in cache for offline use.

Mikey Jr.

Still don't understand the whole cloud thing enhancing gameplay.

Lots of buzzwords and shit, but still haven't SEEN it in action. Show me what the game looks like with it and without it.

smr00

Banned
So when i play off or my internet cuts off the AI turns to shit?

I would rather them focus on real AI that doesn't require bullshit gimmicks. Not all of us have the best connections, some don't have internet and some don't like being always on. Also, how much bandwidth will this cost us? Almost every major and local bandwidth provider has a monthly cap.

So when i play off or my internet cuts off the AI turns to shit?

I would rather them focus on real AI that doesn't require bullshit gimmicks. Not all of us have the best connections, some don't have internet and some don't like being always on. Also, how much bandwidth will this cost us? Almost every major and local bandwidth provider has a monthly cap.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62378736&postcount=63

Game isn't actually using the cloud at all during gameplay...

Got a link for the confirmation? I believe you, just want to see the fine print.

I'd also like to see a race where this cloud based AI doesn't make the first turn of the race into a crash derby, even purely amongst themselves.

That's because none of it was actual gameplay.
Even the cockpit view racing he showed onstage? Before turning it over to the AI/Drivatar/what-the-fuck-ever?

Klocker

wow... was always hoping for this ... to play against "learned" AI from human profiles ... should make for some incredibly real racing... MP like feel without the asshats in SP

the in game racing looks beautiful...

Yes he said you can play it offline (up 24hrs obviously) but caches the drivatars to play against

Can some technical bastard please get the fuck in here and explain to us why everything the Forza guy said about the cloud was complete bollocks? What exactly is stopping the game from analyzing and creating the player's 'drivertar' entirely from the clientside?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
wow... was always hoping for this ... to play against "learned" AI from human profiles ... should make for some incredibly real racing... MP like feel without the asshats in SP

Only possible with the cloud™

I have to see this in action instead of just taking their word for it though.

If creating these AI don't require cloud processing than is the benefit purely B-spec credits grinding?

Will Forza 5 have dedicated servers?

Klocker

Can some technical bastard please get the fuck in here and explain to us why everything the Forza guy said about the cloud was complete bollocks? What exactly is stopping the game from analyzing and creating the player's 'drivertar' entirely from the clientside?

yes lets try to prove this is busllshit instead of just appreciating... geezus

they are offloading all the driving tendencies of al the drivers in the world and matching their drive styles with yours on varied levels of difficulty to give you a realistic experience. It does the compute on servers to create AI drivatars even when you are not playing.

Dan also said this number crunching saves processing power client side to let machine focusing on graphics physics etc

Mascot

The relaunched Drivatar is fantastic news. If the aim is to get the unpredictable personalities of online opponents fed into the AI cars in offline races then it could be amazing. They'll obviously filter out all the fucktard crashbastards and round off sharp edges to driving styles (maybe only using the drivers with top laptimes for the hardest difficulty settings etc) but anything that gets us further away from on-rails AI in driving games can only be a good thing.

The original GRID had very believable human-like AI that would lose control, defend aggressively, run wide, spin out etc so if FM5 produces opponents with real personalities and human traits then it can only be a good thing.

The game is looking utterly incredible from what they've shown so far.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Didn't Tekken 5 have the same kind of AI, based on real gameplay?
Ghost battles? It's the same in theory, and it was available in many other games before Tekken (off the top of my head: VF). Bet let's hope they justify it with better implementation and results.

rrs

So all the AI is just random drivatars downloaded onto your box that you race against more or less.

ruttyboy

They'll probably get this to work fine, but I did laugh when he said, "The AI will act just like human players!" and in the background one of the AI cars swerved straight into a competitor for no reason :D

You want someone to come in here and re affirm am opinion you have already formed? Why is it ?

Anything that they can do to make the Single Player racing better is a net win. I completely abandoned the sp campaign in Forza because the races were boring. I played nearly 100 hours of online multi though. Adding behaviors and correct techniques is great, whether they use the cloud of not.

Also overlooked in here. Single Player races get populated by friends tuned cars and liveries, hopefully their Drivatar as well.

charsace

This sounds pretty big. They basically have a learn program on the cloud end processing the data creating ai drivers that will improve as the community improves.

The Skynet is coming true. I can't wait for Activision to do this with a future COD and through some bug the AI it finds it's way on to the internet and decides humanity should be purged from the earth.

The AI they are using for this probably far beyond what a home computer can achieve.

Raist

Banned
Even the cockpit view racing he showed onstage? Before turning it over to the AI/Drivatar/what-the-fuck-ever?

Given how choppy their latest live demo of the OS functions was, I doubt that segment was live at all. Plus it's Turn 10, bullshots and trickery ahoy.

The difference is that with the cloud they can use data from many different players rather than learning from a single player.

Except that it's not what they're doing.

Given how choppy their latest live demo of the OS functions was, I doubt that segment was live at all. Plus it's Turn 10, bullshots and trickery ahoy.

Really? I'm pretty sure those sequences were in-game. Guess we'll have confirmation soon enough.

yes lets try to prove this is busllshit instead of just appreciating... geezus

they are offloading all the driving tendencies of al the drivers in the world and matching their drive styles with yours on varied levels of difficulty to give you a realistic experience. It does the compute on servers to create AI drivatars even when you are not playing.

Dan also said this number crunching saves processing power client side to let machine focusing on graphics physics etc

They said nothing about having other drivers' data impact your play. All they said is that it analyzes your play and uses the 'cloud' to create new AI. What is so fancy that it can't be achieved on the console? The adjusted AI is obviously not going to be streamed in real-time from Microsoft's servers, and the game can only hold so much AI data in memory. Why can't the game do the number crunching on the console itself? It's not like it's going to get truckloads of data from one player playing a racing game. Sounds like marketing BS to me.

Ydahs

This is insanely cool. It builds AI based on crowd gathered data, so the more people play the game, the more complex and intelligent the drivers will become. Depending on the algorithms, it'll really feel like actual human opponents.

I hope other developers are thinking along the same lines with cloud usage.

adelante

Game looked fuckin incredible! The dash/wheel/hand reflections on the windshield and how it reacts to sunlight is a cool touch

Hari Seldon

So a supervised machine learning algorithm (a neural network, a support vector machine, et. al.), relies upon massive quantities of data to generate "parameters". Once you have the parameters, the AI algorithm is straightforward. The hard part is calculating these parameters, since you need lots and lots of data, and lots of computing horsepower. What the cloud does that a single user cannot do, is collect lots and lots of data, since it can collect data from many users. And it can crunch on the data without blocking the game itself. (A program that calculates machine learning parameters for a moderately complex problem might take hours or even days to run).

So for example, assume you have a race with maybe 3 turns in the race, and you record at what point the driver started to turn, their velocity before breaking, the amount of turn, etc. You also record their total time in the race.

You take this data from lots and lots of people, and you can generate parameters that will predict that if you take all these turns in a certain way, you will achieve a total race time of X seconds.

If this sounds complicated it is because it is, and people who do this well get paid lots of money.

PG2G

They said nothing about having other drivers' data impact your play. All they said is that it analyzes your play and uses the 'cloud' to create new AI. What is so fancy that it can't be achieved on the console? The adjusted AI is obviously not going to be streamed in real-time from Microsoft's servers, and the game can only hold so much AI data in memory. Why can't the game do the number crunching on the console itself? It's not like it's going to get truckloads of data from one player playing a racing game. Sounds like marketing BS to me.

1. Doing it locally is a waste of resource
2. The cloud lets them tweak and update their analysis algorithms without having to push updates to the user
3. The resulting ai is probably based on ALL of the data collected about you, which might not be available to you locally.

alerus

Neo Member
It's PR nonsense.

Even a "learning" A.I. doesn't take that much cpu power.

Erm. No. Learning can take an enormous amount of processing power depending on the kind of learning its doing. Whether that is the case with Forza depends, of course, on what their learning algorithm is and what it is doing.

Top Bottom