• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were there so many scheduled maintenances during E3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand. Why would you schedule all of your maintenance time for the biggest gaming event of the year? I wanted to access the site to check out inside scoops and such but I kept getting told the site was down for "scheduled maintenance". Seems sort of counter-productive.

Any one else not understand this?

I imagine it's a default message to let the servers breathe during high traffic times.

But I barely noticed E3 was happening this year...OT was open most times!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wish there were a specific E3 message instead of the maintenance one. Or even better, just a rotation of phrases telling us to just wait and be patient.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I know it was because of the traffic, but I too don't understand why I got a "scheduled maintenance" message, instead of a classic GURU MEDITATION or something. Just looks hilarious that a big gaming forum would be scheduled to be down during E3 press conferences (even though it obviously was not, but a casual lurker might not be aware of this).

I don't think it were actually "scheduled maintenance" - probably more like "emergency maintenance."

Given the choice between being accessible by members-only during the conferences (and, to be safe, one hour beforehand/afterward) and not being accessible by anyone, I think the former choice is more prudent.

Ultimately, it's probably better to do nothing. Most of GAF's notoriety comes from its ill-timed crashes, and everyone forgets the frustration the next day.

jstripes

Banned
I'd hate to imagine the potential advertising revenue from the multitude of visitors if the site hadn't been down the past two days...

finger%20quotes.jpg

I know it was because of the traffic, but I too don't understand why I got a "scheduled maintenance" message, instead of a classic GURU MEDITATION or something. Just looks hilarious that a big gaming forum would be scheduled to be down during E3 press conferences (even though it obviously was not, but a casual lurker might not be aware of this).

That's the point, I think. To get the lurkers to get off the servers to give it some breathing room.

THRILLH0

Banned
I think that if mods are going to nuke anyone who mentions adblock and GAF in the same sentence there should be a little more transparency around how much of that revenue is going back into the site.

In the documentary much was made of the lifestyle that GAF has enabled evilore to have but then the site can't stay up during e3?

I'm not asking for p&l statements but some info would be nice.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Typically during E3 the off topic forum is shut down to help with the traffic. Why was it not done this time? I could not get to the forums at least 75% of the time.

Log4Girlz

I think that if mods are going to nuke anyone who mentions adblock and GAF in the same sentence there should be a little more transparency around how much of that revenue is going back into the site.

In the documentary much was made of the lifestyle that GAF has enabled evilore to have but then the site can't stay up during e3?

I think he mentioned the problem is that having the hardware to handle that many hits/bandwidth is useless 99% of the year unless he could piggy back with another site or something, but he can't and gaf only uses its own servers. So I can see the problem there.

crozier

Yeah, I couldn't even visit this site during E3. I think I got the gaming side up a handful of times, after like 100 refreshes, only to wind up with the same problem once again inside the thread itself.

Waaaaay too annoying to deal with.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I couldn't get access to GAF for at least 5 hours today. It's rediculous.

luoapp

I think he mentioned the problem is that having the hardware to handle that many hits/bandwidth is useless 99% of the year unless he could piggy back with another site or something, but he can't and gaf only uses its own servers. So I can see the problem there.

While that's generally true, I still think there are plenty mods can do to help. Shutting down OT and communities, disable avatar (hosting avatar on Neogaf server is not a good idea, IMHO. ), locking up long thread, etc... Baffles me why they didn't do any of these.

Size limit for avatars is 50k, say average size is 25k, and half posts have distinctive avatars., that's (50 post per page x 25k / 2) = 625kB per page.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is my first time on GAF in nearly 24 hours. It went down HARD last night during the Sony conference (I think it was shortly after the AssCreed demo that crashed) and never recovered, from what I could tell.

i dont remember it being like this last year

was pretty bad

kinda funny that a bunch of juniors got access only to not to get access

I agree i also thought it was funny that people got banned for saying it will go down on e3.

There is also other things to do like renting clound bandwidth for the month

tino

Banned
I have been here since 2005?. This is the fucking craziest E3. I have never experienced so much down time in past E3s.

Konka

Banned
How is it that GAF can't get this E3 thing right. It is the only gaming website that goes down like this...

justjohn

Its a fucking joke. The so called biggest gaming forum on the web somehow cant stay up for its members to discuss one of the biggest gaming events of this decade. Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom