• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were there so many scheduled maintenances during E3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year seemed to go smoother but considering we had E3 and WWDC going on at the same time, yeah, fair to say that gaf was gonna crash.

Usually when E3 rolls around, OT is turned off but guess even the beefed-up servers weren't ready to handle this week at all.

Sanic

Somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe it's been mentioned within the last year or so that a scalable solution like what Amazon offers will not work with vBulletin.

the amount of people who don't get sarcasm is astounding.

Everyone gets it, but really, they should change the message instead of the 'scheduled maintenance' since we all know it's just servers being overloaded by visitors.

Just leave it to 'Neogaf is down for an unforseeable time' and I'd be fine with that message.

Kinyou

I mean, I get 504 timeouts and all that, but scheduled maintenance? What's the deal with that?

goodtroll3ap5m.jpeg

Imagine you are a janitor in charge of a public restroom that gets about 25 people that go through it a day. There's work involved, but it's pretty steady work and nothing too terrible happens the vast majority of the time. No need for constant bathroom closures for cleanup, but they happen sometimes.

One week out of the year however, this bathroom is immensely popular, and 800 people go through that same bathroom per day. Suddenly all of your toilets are clogged and the walls are stained with nightmares. You need to block off those bathroom doors to unclog and clean the toilets before letting anyone else through. That's scheduled maintenance.

Everyone gets it, but really, they should change the message instead of the 'scheduled maintenance' since we all know it's just servers being overloaded by visitors.

Just leave it to 'Neogaf is down for an unforseeable time' and I'd be fine with that message.
nah nobody wants to advertise their server as being down for technical reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom