• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘E3 killed itself’, not competition from Summer Game Fest, says Geoff Keighley

Fbh

I still think Nintendo killed the "conference" side of E3 and then covid dealt the killing blow to the "ground floor" side of it.
The continued success they've had with the direct format (specially with the Switch) showed other publishers that instead of spending millions putting on live shows they could just upload a youtube video with a couple of people on green screens and it was just as effective

“I understand why people say [SGF killed E3]"
Only you say that, Geoff.

To be fair to him it was the interviewer who asked how he feels about being known as the "E3 killer".
It's not like he just brought it up spontaneously

Last edited:

Neff

I still think Nintendo killed the "conference" side of E3 and then covid dealt the killing blow to the "ground floor" side of it.

Pretty much. Nintendo showed that you can make headlines and have a big presence throughout the year without spending a fortune on a one-shot live conference. Sony then followed suit, as it often does whenever Nintendo makes something work. It's simply another inevitable casualty of the digital age.

brian0057

Banned
Geoff Keighley really said:

W8vih2O.jpg

Oh please. GTFO.

Playstation leaving and Coronavirus killed E3. That’s it. Their events spent like 2 decades almost being Christmas for gamers worldwide and since it’s been deceased no event has ever captured the hype and excitement of e3.

These web shows like the last PS showcase are an embarrassment and feel like a rinky dink cheap pale imitation. Any passionate gamer would long for E3 2014-2017 after the garbage we’ve been getting since.

ahtlas7

My nostalgia misses the mythical early days of E3. I stopped watching/tuning into the live stuff a few years before its collapse. It was its own biggest enemy.

I don’t watch the keigles showcase at all.
Ew Wtf GIF by Married At First Sight

YukiOnna

I mean, yeah. He's the one who'd host E3 Coliseum and be apart of the TV broadcast/stream partnerships from GameTrailers where they'd have developer interviews and demos after the keynotes. That and competition is competition, just natural.

I'm a Geoff simp though, so I'm biased.

Everything he said is true 🤷‍♂️

SGF definitely didn’t kill E3. The timeline for that theory isn’t really borne out by the facts.

Keighley just basically wanted to do *something* for news around E3 time, knowing e3 was dying slowly ever since the mid 2010s, and especially once Sony pulled out in 2019.

Last edited:
E3 died because there has been a desperate, desperate attempt to "unbro" gaming culture as much as possible, E3 was the ultimate "gamer bro" bash with the booth babes et all.

Since trying to move away from that image, E3 has increasingly felt pointless, remember stuff like all the babes that dressed as the DOA girls and even got in bikinis 20 years ago, at E3 2003? Can't do stuff like that anymore, so all of the fun of it is taken away replaced by boring marketing BS.

Going to E3 used to be a bucket list thing of mine, it's sad it got lame and then died, it's a sorry state on gaming culture in general now, everything was a lot more fun when things weren't so apologetic.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
E3 just isn't necessary any more. When E3 started publishers needed a trade show/media event to get help building excitement for the upcoming holiday season because they didn't have another way to reach consumers. Now that streaming is prolific and it's cheap and easy to produce your own video publishers don't have to impress the media to get them to write articles that sell their games. They can just produce their own shows now and control the message. Summer Game Fest isn't necessary, either. But it organizes the events and it's cheaper and easier to participate in than E3, so why not?

Barakov

Gold Member

Summer Game Fest host and producer Geoff Keighley has rubbished suggestions that competition from his rival event was partly responsible for the cancellation of this year’s E3.

Keighley started Summer Game Fest in 2020 after he split from E3, where he previously held its Coliseum live events. At the time, he cited being “uncomfortable” with organiser ESA‘s plans for E3.

In an interview on the latest episode of the VGC Podcast, Keighley was asked how he felt about his reputation in some corners of the internet as “the E3 killer”.

He added:

Asked how it felt when it looked like Summer Game Fest and E3 might have been competing for the same pool of new game announcements, Keighley added: “I mean, we never really saw that.
Reaction Suspicious GIF

At no point did anybody ever think Summer Game Fest was in any way responsible (or even contributed at all) to the fall of E3. In fact if E3 still existed in it's old form nobody would have ever watched Summer Game Fest (and really should continue not watching it, as outside of the Elden Ring trailer there has yet to be anything worth watching at any Summer Game Fest)

EDMIX

Well eventually people got tired of never actually getting what was presented at these cringe events.

? I mean...that doesn't even make any sense, the company that owns E3 doesn't make games, their job never was to provide actual games as they are not a developer or publisher, thus you wouldn't have even gotten what you wanted regardless if it was at E3 or State Of Play or Nintendo direct etc

Its basically shooting the messenger as if they are MAKING the game or something weird like that.

I don't think any of this has to do with what you are saying, I think E3 died based on social media and gaming catching up to modern marketing. Having all those major announcements all clustered up, only to be leaked online before the event, then many publishers reveals getting lost in the sauce, its pointless to continue such a fucking dumb concept.

Call Of Duty

GTA

Red Dead

These series many times have literally dropped trailers randomly, went viral and become the most talked about thing regarding gaming that week, month etc. Why the fuck would they want their biggest project sandwiched between HUNDREDS of other fucking announcements? Would you bet your life savings on a project being announced this way? Would it not make more sense to hog the media spot light be randomly announcing something and having all the attention? So even when you look at Sony's State Of Plays or Nintendo's directs, they are purposely spacing them out for their 3rd party partners have room to make those reveals have massive impacts.

So if any of you really want to know why Silent Hill 2 was announced randomly, consider.....why would they make a deal with Sony, to have it announced with other games? They want a spotlight, they want a huge reveal, they want to be the most talked about thing that week, not...one of the most talked about things that week or something, thus Sony, Nintendo and many more likely give those spotlights knowing its more valuable to be on that type of exclusive reveal date vs a Showcase or State Of Play. With how fast news travels and how social media is, I just don't see the benefits of spending all this money to set up these events, to cram all those reveals in one spot, as if THAT is what the publisher wants from their biggest IP or something, they might want something more exclusive and random and maybe the shotgun marketing approach makes more sense for this current age of information.

Verchod

I don't think it did either, especially as the summer fest is a snooze fest, and I still don't really know who this guy is.
I presume it's down to First party publishers doing their own thing, and then the large third party.
Bloody shame though, used to love E3.
I do wonder if the longer development time for games is also making a difference.

SilentUser

Ugh I miss the hype surrounding the best E3 and when it delivered, great days! Never, ever felt the same for SGF, sadly.

Woopah

“I understand why people say [SGF killed E3]"
Only you say that, Geoff.
No shit. I mean, does he actually think someone thinks this?
The interview was the one asking him that question. Geoff's response is right I think.
E3 died because there has been a desperate, desperate attempt to "unbro" culture gaming as much as possible, E3 was the ultimate "gamer bro" bash with the booth babes et all.

Since trying to move away from that image, E3 has increasingly felt pointless, remember stuff like all the babes that dressed as the DOA girls and even got in bikinis 20 years ago, at E3 2003? Can't do stuff like that anymore, so all of the fun of it is taken away replaced by boring marketing BS.

Going to E3 used to be a bucket list thing of mine, it's sad it got lame and then died, it's a sorry state on gaming culture in general now, everything was a lot more fun when things weren't so apologetic.
There's definitely things to be missed about old E3 but the weird "bro"
marketing is not one of them. It came off as them desperately wanting attention from teenage boys.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Geoff is laughing all the way to the bank after making that statement.

Kenpachii

Digital age killed E3 and it will kill his show also.

Nintendo and Sony already pulled out before covid was a thing. Only microsoft i think was still present, PC gaming was never a part of it because it advertises through twitch/steam.

The reason geoff can still do what he does is because his costs are minimal and publishers see it probably as a bonus still as it probably cost them also peanuts. E3 has far to much costs to validate for any company to be relevant.

Last edited:
I will miss the cringe and fails compilations
But the main reason it died is covid

Covid killed it lmao

Um, No ?!

People keep saying this but wasn't E3 on the decline long before COVID?

COVID was only responsible for putting a headstone on the grave of E3.

I remember reading about management issues with the event organizers long before COVID hit. Sony pulled out before covid and when they went, it was pretty much game set and match for anything E3 related.

Link/Sauce:
E3, now dead, was a show for a bygone game industry

'But the decades-long decline of E3 was also apparent well before this year's problems—and even well before COVID forced the cancellation of the 2020 show (and every show in subsequent years)'.

Last edited:
The interview was the one asking him that question. Geoff's response is right I think.

There's definitely things to be missed about old E3 but the weird "bro"
marketing is not one of them. It came off as them desperately wanting attention from teenage boys.
Whatever criticism you can make of the "bro" era, it was still better than today, I mean a lot of gamers are teenage boys, what's wrong with catering to them?

It was a lot more honest back then, today there's a huge identity crisis as the gaming industry likes to pretend it's audience is anyone but who actually is the majority of gamers.

But whatever criticism you can make of "bro" marketing, sexy girls is not one of them, the weird puritanical streak of modern culture is lame and stupid, booth babes were all in good fun and not hurting anyone.

E3 died cause everyone kinda started releasing there on conference and stuff around the same time of it. Even having it pretty much in the same neighborhood. Idk, it sucks. But it is, what it is.

H4ze

Um, No ?!

People keep saying this but wasn't E3 on the decline long before COVID?

COVID was only responsible for putting a headstone on the grave of E3.

I remember reading about management issues with the event organizers long before COVID hit. Sony pulled out before covid and when they went, it was pretty much game set and match for anything E3 related.

Link/Sauce:
E3, now dead, was a show for a bygone game industry

'But the decades-long decline of E3 was also apparent well before this year's problems—and even well before COVID forced the cancellation of the 2020 show (and every show in subsequent years)'.

You are taking my post way to serious lol.
Of course E3 had problems before covid hit.

Portugeezer

SGF is still too indie to really be exciting. I can appreciate indie games but for 2 or 3+ hours I need more big hitters.

We'll see this year's....

Inviusx

Call it E3 or SGF or whatever, it's just an advertisement driven corporate nightmare with nothing for fans except CG trailers and boring 2D Indie platformers.

Personally I prefer the publisher lead showcases as they usually cut straight to the point.

This is REALLY funny for me to see because I randomly got recommended a video of Geoff doing an interview with the OG legend games journalist Victor Lucas from 4 years ago where he talks a lot about E3 and how proud he is to have been there for every single one, and how much they miss the good days of E3.

Link to interview:

Woopah

Whatever criticism you can make of the "bro" era, it was still better than today, I mean a lot of gamers are teenage boys, what's wrong with catering to them?

It was a lot more honest back then, today there's a huge identity crisis as the gaming industry likes to pretend it's audience is anyone but who actually is the majority of gamers.

But whatever criticism you can make of "bro" marketing, sexy girls is not one of them, the weird puritanical streak of modern culture is lame and stupid, booth babes were all in good fun and not hurting anyone.
I think there's definitely a time a place for sexy nakedness, but an electronic trade show isn't one of them. Whenever I go to an industry event for work I go fully clothed and I expect everyone else to do the same.

Likewise when watching E3 coverage in the past, I never thought "this show would be more fun if Gabe Newall and Hideo Kojima were wearing far fewer clothes" or "I think Shawn Layden is being puritanical by presenting this showcase in a suit and not just his boxers".

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah because it wasn't filled with ads every second, Keighley have no shame

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
E3 died because there has been a desperate, desperate attempt to "unbro" gaming culture as much as possible, E3 was the ultimate "gamer bro" bash with the booth babes et all.

Since trying to move away from that image, E3 has increasingly felt pointless, remember stuff like all the babes that dressed as the DOA girls and even got in bikinis 20 years ago, at E3 2003?
Can't do stuff like that anymore, so all of the fun of it is taken away replaced by boring marketing BS.

Nah bro. You can't blame the death of E3 on the lack of booth babes. Men aren't THAT shallow. E3 had a fire decade after the booth babes disappeared.

Top Bottom