• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 is Officially Dead

tusharngf

Geoff be like after reading this news
Accident Pain GIF

Lame, now were stuck with Summer game fests, that shit is so hard to watch.
Literally. I saw that schedule for this past Summer Games Fest and noped the fuck out. How the hell are we supposed to keep up with months of randomly placed live streams?

The presentations from the big 3 console makers were the major hype point in every single E3. The moment Nintendo started ditching theirs, it made clear that E3, as an event, was unnecessary.
This. Everyone needs to remember Nintendo started this shit. Does no one recall when we were all dunking on Nintendo when they dipped out?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
TGA's not a replacement for E3. No in depth interviews with the devs and publlishers. No booth babes. No Megaton reveals. No behind closed doors presentations. Do they even have after parties or is everybody going home to polish their awards. Tis bullshit I say.

RIP E3.

phant0m

I hope Sony brings back the PlayStation Experience. Probably wasn’t profitable and they’re comfortably on top this gen so likely a pipe dream

Sony E3 2016 forever the GOAT.

Nah it was definitely 2013 when they utterly annihilated Xbox. I still believe it was that day that put Xbox in the place they’re still in today.

Last edited:
E3 required Devs to actually produce something on a yearly basis and game journalists to actually do some journalism.
It's no surprise it's dead
Spot on I was just about to post the same thing E3 kept devs in check because they wanted to make a big splash to create buzz

RickMasters

E3 hsa been dead since the mid 2010s, this is just the final slug in the zombie's brain.
I agree. I think the internet era.... things like nintendo direct, removed the need for E3. nowadays they can show you a trailer and put out a time limited time demo download, so you dont even have to cue up in some long line at e3. you dont need to wit for some preview from ign or some other website who was on the showfloor. and for devs and console manufacturers no need to hire floorspace and spend marketing dollars putting on showcases.

I agree E3 prior to 2010s was the last great hurrah for that whole format. but yeah Ill miss it.

Inevitable with online news. Why would a business pay out and save their best announcements for the same week everyone else is doing the same? Outside of platform holders I don't see much point.

E3 produced months of material for print magazines giving time for games to get attention over coverage back in the day. Obvious benefits of a trade show for doing deals are diminished also when it becomes a mainly consumer show with public access.

It has little purpose when there is a free direct line between the developers and the consumers and similar issues will arise with future similarly sterile videogame showcase events.

GrayDock

That's a shame. Going to E3 was one of my video game dreams/goals... I was planning on going in 2020, already knowing that wouldn't be great, but the world went to shit and here we are... RIP.

Screw anyone who had a hand in the demise of E3. There was nothing like it, and any shitty show that has since come around trying to replace it have never had even half of what E3 did.

It was the Super Bowl for gaming, and has been sorely missed.

A sad day for gaming and gamers.

Twinblade

All good things, have to come to an end. Pax will be next.

Blockbuster, Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery are dead because of the likes of Netflix.
Kmart is dead because of walmart I think. (my first job was at Kmart)

Many more franchises are at the end of the rope sadly too.

FeralEcho

About time they stopped pretending it was ever coming back.

RIP some of the better parts like Giantbomb at night, but those were gone anyway. 90% of the reason anyone watched was for a string of trailers and nothing's changed on that front.
Nothing's changed? Have you been away or living under a rock for the past 4 years.Its been nothing but trickled down information and the summer bore fest of garbage with tons of ads and trailers for indie games(and not even the good kind most of the time) and the ocassional big AAA release cg trailer.With E3 we used to have 10 min demos of big AAA games.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not surprising. E3 has been dead for quite some time. Glad I was there for the legendary moments… Zelda TP reveal, PS3 hype trailers, Wii reveal, E3 of the dreams (FFVII etc)… Good days.

Hunnybun

I used to find it annoying that we had to wait all year for the big gaming news.

Now we still have the long waits but no idea exactly how long they'll be. The gap between the last 2 Sony events was like 18 months wasn't it? At least with E3 you could just forget about it until June.

Plus we also lost all the hype and fun of the live conferences. Sorry but whichever way you cut it this new reality is vastly worse.

hinch7

It was over a long time ago but end of an era. Used to be so excited for E3 where all the big game publishers got together and show of their games. Now its just scattered mini streams, and a Geoff's show..

There's something about realtime hype you can't recapture on streams. Even with all the cringe it was all so entertaining.

Last edited:

soulbait

I am just happy to be able to say I was able to go to E3 once. Way back in 1997 when it was hosted in Atlanta. I was only 14 years old. The company my dad worked for started to make PC games and due to the games having a lot of full motion video and he was a video editor, he was now making PC games. They all went down there and my dad was able to get passes for me to go to the show. As a 14 year old it was amazing. I still have a bag in my mom's attic full of all of the swag I got.

I was huge Nintendo fanboy at the time, and spent a ton of time in the Nintendo booth. I got to play so many games.

One of my favorite memories was playing through the The Lost World: Jurassic Park arcade game on the show floor. I was (and still am) a huge JP fan, and being able to play through the entire game, with my dad, without spending any money was a treat LOL. No one was in line to play, so we just played through the entire game. It was awesome.

Another was playing Star Fox 64 multiplayer in this huge theater/screen. Everyone sat in these cockpits when playing that angled up to your portion of the screen. They had the rumble pack wired into the seat, so it would rumble as well. When you got eliminated, the seat would lower back down. If you won, you got a free N64 controller where the top shell was gold and the bottom shell was black. I got second place and was mad I did not get the controller, LOL.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

sad metal gear solid GIF

Gave us amazing years in late 90's and early 2000's

You'll never get this again

E3 2001, Super smash bros Melee, FFX, SH2, MGS2 again, Halo, GTA 3, what a fucking insane lineup and there was more

E3 2003,

We don't see anything of the sort anymore it seems like. It's all curated videos. There's no the laughable moments of fuckups, technical issues, awkward presentations of numbers, Nintendo unveilling "MEGA GAMES" in a powerpoint. There's no crowd reactions.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Apple started the trend.

Companies used to go to these shows to announce products and not everything was under their control so there were always hiccups and issues and sometimes things didn't go according to plan but also felt more spontaneous. Then Apple wanted total control and said no, we'll do the show inhouse. And even then they killed the live show in exchange for a video were everything is rehearsed and things edited to fit the narrative.

Sony and many others followed suit and as you see sony doesn't do events anymore with presenters, just edited reels.

CuNi

It wasn't what it used to be for years now.
I'll miss the good old days of E3 but I'm glad that whatever the last few E3 were is over and won't come back.

GamesCom next please..

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think Gaming needs a singular event to bring all companies together to make announcements and generate media publicity beyond the gaming enthusiast. E3 was great for that. I will miss that centralized influx of news and hype over a week.

E3 has been dead for awhile, and I would like to see something take its play. But not summer games fest. The only way it works to me if all the announcements are confined to a small time period. E3 made that possible.

Top Bottom