• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Summer seasons of game conferences and announcements felt like old E3

Success

I have to admit that this season of summer gaming felt like being back in the hayday of 2006 - 2015 E3.

The forum has been a buzz of activity. The amount of cringe and genuinely good conferences.

The amount of new and unexpected games.

I am rather optimistic that if this keeps up then June would be the E3 month. Instead of just have 3 days of gaming madness we have something like 2 weeks now.

I really think that Summer Games Fest had a lot to do with bringing the summer of gaming hype back.

feynoob

Banned
The only reason for that is the sub par showcase for the big 3 showcase.
Sony showcase= Gaas, Spiderman and movie trailers
Summer showcase gameplay, gaas, trailers
Xbox showcase= In-game trailers, starfield, and your daily dose of Phil Spencer and mat booty usual words.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The only reason for that is the sub par showcase for the big 3 showcase.
Sony showcase= Gaas, Spiderman and movie trailers
Summer showcase gameplay, gaas, trailers
Xbox showcase= In-game trailers, starfield, and your daily dose of Phil Spencer and mat booty usual words.

The Xbox showcase was amazing and the general consensus both here and around the internet agree with that.

SGS was solid if not the most exciting.

Sony showcase sucked.

Ubisoft showcase had a bunch of exciting reveals.

Capcom showcase sucked.

Overall it was a really fun and exciting "E3" this year. Best it's been for a long time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ll defend e3, it took out the guess work when conferences are. E3 had a reputation.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you mean E3 after all the conferences are finished then yeah.

SJRB

Gold Member
If you mean E3 after all the conferences are finished then yeah.

E3 had days and days of livestreams from the show floor and game demos from IGN, Gamespot and I dunno who else. It was legit a week long event.

Day long Gamespot streams, crazy drunk Giantbomb streams at the end of the day.

I miss those days.

StueyDuck

I must of watched different E3s to most people back around 2006-2018, this seems to be a consensus around gaming overall , to me it was just more directs like the previous years.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Not really, they felt just like every conference state of play or nintendo direct

the only one that felt like E3 was Ubisoft conference, with real Live presentations, short trailer followed by gameplay
mini music performance and some cringe momements
that's why ubisoft was the best

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
As an event that's in it's infancy, and is also more of a united alliance of events so far, I'd say that there's a lot of room for improvement, but every indicator that some improvement is being MADE every year. E3 was a recognized name, and it had some power behind it, but I mean...one year out of the blue E3 didn't spawn from the Void into a fully fleshed out, anticipated and respected event.

Commenting on it is like commenting on a weather event or something. You can like it, hate it, but it's a process that's gonna have to run it's course if we ever want to have that E3 spot be filled to the point that people aren't missing it.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Proves we don’t need E3
Are you sure about that?

060124_boothbabe_hmed_12p.jpg

5835088115_afaf7a9c7c_c.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think you're missing the point of what E3 delivered.
Let me ask you this, if Sony or any other publisher have nothing to show then how bing on E3 make any difference? Sony had boring show because they had nothing ready to show and that wouldn’t change if it was on E3.

Yeah, possible to some extent. Nothing will replace that feeling of meandering through the booths and then having some surprise dropped on you, like the Twilight Princess trailer on a huge screen visible from many booths away depending.

I loved E3 the times that I went, though that was years ago. It was always a hype time, so much packed into a short period and a lot to see. Not to mention sometimes you could get some neat and unique trinkets.

Knightime_X

Let me ask you this, if Sony or any other publisher have nothing to show then how bing on E3 make any difference? Sony had boring show because they had nothing ready to show and that wouldn’t change if it was on E3.
Sony had 2 years and STILL nothing to show.
It's more exciting to show your deck of cards at an event instead of drip feeding year round.
Unless a release date or big event is imminent. Such as a demo, or beta test or the launch will happen before e3.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Sony had 2 years and STILL nothing to show.
It's more exciting to show your deck of cards at an event instead of drip feeding year round.
Unless a release date or big event is imminent. Such as a demo, or beta test or the launch will happen before e3.
And still will same story in E3, in fact they would choose not show up at E3 because they had nothing to show.

Knightime_X

And still will same story in E3, in fact they would choose not show up at E3 because they had nothing to show.
That's not E3's problem.
If you don't have anything, just don't go.
But for a company as big as Sony, it's embarrassing for them to not show up.
Majority of Sony's gaming is 3rd party anyways which doesn't help their case in the slightest.

Last edited:

Danjin44

That's not E3's problem.
If you don't have anything, just don't go.
But for a company as big as Sony, it's embarrassing for them to not show up.
Majority of Sony's gaming is 3rd party anyways.
That’s my point, E3 or summer showcase, if publisher have nothing to show then still going to be boring conference.

I watch these shows for the games, if there is a game they announced that I’m hype about then I’m happy, it doesn’t matter they show it on E3, TGS, Summer shows or whatever other showcases.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

That’s my point, E3 or summer showcase, if publisher have nothing to show then still going to be boring conference.

I watch these shows for the games, if there is a game they announced that I’m hype about then I’m happy, it doesn’t matter they show it on E3, TGS, Summer shows or whatever other showcases.
Doesn't mean we should condemn E3 because a company couldn't get their shit together.

Danjin44

I just miss the hype.
Even if no e3, just bring back the hype.
But thats the thing, what makes me hype is the games. For example Metaphor: ReFantazio announcement was super hype for me but I would feel the same hype if was announced at E3 or TGS or whatever, it doesn't make any difference to me, because what I'm hype about was the game not the show.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

No way, E3 Shows were pure excitement, the conferences were the icing on the cake, but pretty much watching videos of the show floor was pretty great. The interviews were great, and some pLive events if done well are second to none to any streaming event. I lived the events as a Nintendo fan when I was a teenager, then as PS fan, since I switched from N64 to PS2 and beyond. Nothing compares to that level of excitement, even the days leading to E3 you could feel the excitement.

Top Bottom