• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

videogameschronicle, “Xbox saves the summer with a solid showcase that channels the E3 of old”

Topher

Gold Member
  • No gameplay footage from the 2020 games we saw.
  • Still no updates on Perfect Dark, Contraband, Everwild, or State of Decay 3.
  • No big AAA surprise announcement.
  • No proper release date for Fable, Hellblade, South of the Midnight, Clockwork Revolution, or Avowed.
  • Avowed disappointed fans eagerly waiting.
  • Most importantly, we just had a Showcase that is supposed to show what the roadmap is. Do we know what's the next game releasing after Forza? Which one is it and when is it releasing? No.
How can it be a good showcase that "saved the Summer" when it did not even show the roadmap properly? It had the same issues that Sony's showcase had: little gameplay and little clarity on the roadmap.

Edit: Hurt fanboys leaving laughing and empathy emojis should instead try addressing my last bullet point 😄 Even they know deep down that they have no idea what's next lol.

Have to disagree with you my man. I thought the Xbox showcase was far better than PlayStation's.

Below are the high points, imo.

Forza Motorsport release date
Flight Simulator expansion
South of Midnight reveal (first party)
Cities Skylines 2 reveal
Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth reveal
Metaphor: ReFantazio reveal
Personal 3 Reload reveal
Star Wars Outlaws reveal
Still Wakes the Deep reveal
Xbox Series S Carbon Black reveal

I agree that the lack of gameplay was a negative and there was no big reveal, but that list has a lot to be excited about. Personally, I came out of that a lot more excited than I did with the PlayStation showcase which was absolutely horrible in comparison.

kuncol02

Banned
Well Starfield was already coming to Xbox as a large third party game. MS paid 10 billion so it wouldn't go to Playstation even though it's often claimed MS is thinking about Apple/Google/Amazon and they're about bringing games to all platforms. If that was the case then Starfield a Zenimax game would still appear on Playstation.

It would be like cheering about Assassins Creed coming to Playstation and not Xbox because Sony bought Ubisoft, how lame would that be? We saw when MS bought Zenimax the Xbox the people closely aligned tweeted this is what happens when you criticize that MS has no games.

For MS it was again Forza and what else and it doesn't excuse the giant shit Sony took this year.
Get some professional help before you hurt yourself or somebody else.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Nothing will bring back the E3's of old, because they were so much more than just a string of trailers, but I agree that this was the only presentation that left me feeling both excited and surprised.

Sony's thing was a turd except for Spider-Man, and even that was very much expected and predictable both in its presence and what they actually showed. Summer Games Fest was a lot of mid-tier games I won't play or stuff that was just out of my zone of interest other than maybe Alan Wake. I wasn't really feeling it this year. So for me, yeah, the Xbox thing saved it with some really cool surprises I didn't see coming (Clockwork Revolution, Metaphor, Flight Sim 2024), and some really strong showings for some of the games I was already interested in (Starfield, Cyberpunk). Plus some small surprises that made me smile, like Fall Out New Jersey and Sea of Thieves Monkey Island.

Last edited:
Get some professional help before you hurt yourself or somebody else.

I'm fine, I'm talking about aspects of the game industry and only have a PC to play this game just for the record. What is your problem?

If you're trying to bring console waring into this then please stop now thank you.

Last edited:

Doom85

Xbox Showcase didn’t have Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, so:

GIF by Giphy QA

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Thank God after that dreadful Sony showing. Avowed and Towerborne didn't impress for me, but the rest of the show was pretty damn great.

I mean, it was by far the best out of the Sony showcase and summer games fest but that ain't saying much. Overall, I still thought it was fairly mediocre and feel like MS missed a shot to really gain some market share.

I know it isn't technically "E3" anymore but this has to be the worst E3/summer showcases I can remember (in years in which all big parties are involved). 2024 looks bleak af for new games. Thankfully 2023 was pretty awesome

geary

I honestly don’t know what MS could do to appease some here. They showed 26 games (barely any indie game as opposed to Sony showcase) and still it doesn’t seem enough lol

People complaining about Forza and Downblade 2 not showing gameplay but forget that these two are coming soon and the showcase was about Starfield.
Spiderman showing gameplay 4 months before release was not a problem, but Hellblade, Fable and Avowed showing gameplay at least one year before release is a L

Riky

$MSFT
It definitely felt like MS were recapturing that 360 feeling, especially with all the exclusive RPGs they showed.

Vasto

The show as good. I just wish the Hellblade 2 trailer would have been combat.

Also the Series S 1TB sholud have been $299.

Spiderman showing gameplay 4 months before release was not a problem, but Hellblade, Fable and Avowed showing gameplay at least one year before release is a L

How? We got to see Starfield which a mere 3 months away.

Sony showed games that aren't coming out anytime soon too.

What odd logic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have to disagree with you my man. I thought the Xbox showcase was far better than PlayStation's.

Below are the high points, imo.

Forza Motorsport release date
Flight Simulator expansion
South of Midnight reveal (first party)
Cities Skylines 2 reveal
Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth reveal
Metaphor: ReFantazio reveal
Personal 3 Reload reveal
Star Wars Outlaws reveal
Still Wakes the Deep reveal
Xbox Series S Carbon Black reveal

I agree that the lack of gameplay was a negative and there was no big reveal, but that list has a lot to be excited about. Personally, I came out of that a lot more excited than I did with the PlayStation showcase which was absolutely horrible in comparison.
I'm surprised we didn't see an Indiana Jones tease, with the current movie and all. You would think they would want to capitalize on that tie in. Something that Sony does a bit better in that regards.

Last edited:

RGB'D

I'm surprised we didn't see an Indiana Jones tease, with the current movie and all. You would think they would want to capitalize on that tie in. Something that Sony does a bit better in that regards.
Indy seems primed for the Game Awards tbh. It is likely multiplatform anyways

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
  • No proper release date for Fable, Hellblade, South of the Midnight, Clockwork Revolution, or Avowed.
  • Most importantly, we just had a Showcase that is supposed to show what the roadmap is. Do we know what's the next game releasing after Forza? Which one is it and when is it releasing? No.
How can it be a good showcase that "saved the Summer" when it did not even show the roadmap properly? It had the same issues that Sony's showcase had: little gameplay and little clarity on the roadmap.

Edit: Hurt fanboys leaving laughing and empathy emojis should instead try addressing my last bullet point 😄 Even they know deep down that they have no idea what's next lol.

Alot of this is true, but I too thought it was a great showcase. It gave me the E3 feels of 10 years ago. Big time credit to Phil.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
As someone from MS said, there are still more events this year, be it Gamescom, VGA or some other MS smaller showcase, there's time to talk about the future games after FM and Starfield, we already know their 2024 lineup mostly, maybe there'll be a last game, probably from some Bethesda developer, we'll be getting fixed dates later this year or early 2024 with some Xbox Direct.

About the AAA thing, i agree that if you are looking for the best visuals, some smaller studios from MS won't be able to reach that, specially if they are developing WRPG's which is probably the most complicated genre.

This said, not everybody is looking just for that kind of games. If you love these, well there you have the Flight Simulator, the Horizon Zero Dawn and Forbidden West, even Hellblade 2 too. I've played the first ones and i don't even have to play the last one, these are all for you, i'll gladly take inXile's first person RPG any day

Unlike Sony, there’s really a part 2 to the event and it is actually happening on Tues.

ZoukGalaxy

Finally someone not in Phil's fart fog.
The Office Thank You GIF

That disaster of a showcase by Sony really did a lot of damage around here. The mental gymnastics in a lot of these threads is honestly really amusing. Guys saying the Xbox showcase wasn't any better than Sony's is pure mental illness.
I just don't understand the roadmap argument, MS showed a lot of games that are coming within the next year and a half.. most were first party exclusives. And people whining about what's next after Forza they made it clear it's Hellblade.

just mental gymnastics all around is correct.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

One of the better shows we have seen in quite the while.

There really wasn't any room for that one more surprise moment as it was going to be swallowed up by Starfield and It's why I believe they started the show super strong with Fable and Forza to give it a bit breathing room before Startfield shuts down the show.

All of this.

These hottakes crying the Xbox showcase as the "best thing eva" only prove just how thirsty Xbox fans have been for games that even a mediocre conference is praised as the second coming... lol.

As middling as this Xbox show and the PS state of play were, everyone should be happy since there are a shit ton of sick games on every platform to look forward to.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Not a Microsoft dude, but I didn't think it needed saving. This was a pretty badass week in gaming, and I really have to give Geoff credit for his work ethic. Even if it's not up to everyone's standard, his events have been steadily improving, enough so to produce several of what I'd call "old-school E3 moments,"

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Not a Microsoft dude, but I didn't think it needed saving. This was a pretty badass week in gaming, and I really have to give Geoff credit for his work ethic. Even if it's not up to everyone's standard, his events have been steadily improving, enough so to produce several of what I'd call "old-school E3 moments,"

Game Awards, yes. Summer Game Fest, no. It feels completely unnecessary and had him up there hocking a bunch of mobile games. I guess it serves as some kind of industry convention of sorts but his show is trash.

Highlight the incorrect part.

Did they show Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, Contraband etc.?
Did they share release dates for upcoming games?
Do you know what's the next game releasing after Forza and when?

Please do share.
Q1 - Did they show Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, Contraband etc.?

Answer - If State of Decay 3, Contraband and Perfect Dark were shown, you'd be asking "Did they show Fable, Awoved, Hellblade 2, Forza?" Also, what did Sony show at the Showcase, where was Santa Monica New IP, Naughty Dog's TLOU Factions, and Wolverine? Please do share wise one.

Q2
- Did they share release dates for upcoming games?

Answer - Yes at least for the ones that are coming soon - Hellblade 2024, Awoved Early 2024, Forza October 10th, 2023, Starfield September 6th, 2023

Q3 - Do you know what's the next game releasing after Forza and when?

Answer - Most likely Awoved since it's slated for early 2024 followed by Hellblade II for later in the year.

Last edited:

You know why they didn't "show the roadmap properly"?

Because we'd get dipshit posts like this whining about inevitable date changes and delays.

Get over it.

AGRacing

They didn't save my summer but they did save my "holiday 2023".
I'm just not hyped about Spiderman.... and have nothing big for PSVR2 in that same window.

But Starfield and Forza are right up my alley. So this is very much a Microsoft Christmas at this house. Hope they sell a boat load.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Q1 - Did they show Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, Contraband etc.?

Answer - If State of Decay 3, Contraband and Perfect Dark were shown, you'd be asking "Did they show Fable, Awoved, Hellblade 2, Forza?" Also, what did Sony show at the Showcase, where was Santa Monica New IP, Naughty Dog's TLOU Factions, and Wolverine? Please do share wise one.
Oh wise one. This isn't about Sony. And in case you missed, they also had an equally shit show. If you're entire argument is "what about ..." then you have proved my point.
Q2 - Did they share release dates for upcoming games?

Answer - Yes at least for the ones that are coming soon - Hellblade 2024, Awoved Early 2024, Forza October 10th, 2023, Starfield September 6th, 2023
Those are not release dates. Those are release years. Just like Spider-Man had "Fall 2023" for such a long time, but only recently they released the "release date" trailer.
Q3 - Do you know what's the next game releasing after Forza and when?

Answer - Most likely Awoved since it's slated for early 2024 followed by Hellblade II for later in the year.

The fact that you have to include "most likely" proves my point. You're just making a guess. This only further validates what I was saying that we still don't know what's next and when.

Oh wise one. This isn't about Sony. And in case you missed, they also had an equally shit show. If you're entire argument is "what about ..." then you have proved my point.

Those are not release dates. Those are release years. Just like Spider-Man had "Fall 2023" for such a long time, but only recently they released the "release date" trailer.

The fact that you have to include "most likely" proves my point. You're just making a guess. This only further validates what I was saying that we still don't know what's next and when.
You refused to answer the first question, therefore you are getting blocked and put on ignore. Also, Sony didn't show any 1st party with exception of Spiderman and Marathon announcement lol. MS had Fable, Starfield, Awoved, Clockwork Revolution. You are 100% incorrect on that. I tried having discussions with you in the past, but it's quite obvious what you are trying to do with your console keyboard warrior bait. Go back to icon-era, Bryank75 is waiting. Good bye buttercup and welcome to the ignore list babycakes.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Game Awards, yes. Summer Game Fest, no. It feels completely unnecessary and had him up there hocking a bunch of mobile games. I guess it serves as some kind of industry convention of sorts but his show is trash.

I tried to use my words carefully so as to avoid anyone thinking I thought it was balls to the wall amazing, because, Rebirth aside because I'm a Square stan, it was pretty mid for me. But I can definitely see he's putting work in to make the event larger, to get more of the industry involved, even his on-screen charisma was less stilted this year, though that may be because of the live audience to feed off.

Regardless, we have to hope the trajectory moves significantly farther towards the positive side because in essence, this is E3 now. But I'm also not saying "Like this shit, plzzz," because in all honesty, Keighley reads GAF (and other places) and one ambivalent but sobering critic's appraisal can do more for a service or entertainer than fifteen glowing shills.

Top Bottom