• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft just had an amazing conference that evoked the E3 of old.

Shubh_C63

Is it just me or the new Assassins Creed looks...worse ?

Graphically I meant. what happened. Not a fan of AC after black flag fatigue anyway.

Tomeru

As soon as I saw that avatar bit where you tear a bunch of wires to open a door/shut something down, I noped the fuck out. It's those little things that makes my tummy feel bleh. They have alot of those.

They are making old games with shinier
graphics.

And ppl saying it reminds them of old e3s... Fitting.

Last edited:

digdug2

And I loved that!

I miss these ridiculous things from E3. I always hated them, but now I realize how fun and dumb they were and what made E3s so special.
Man, I will never forget that goofy dude playing a Japanese flute when they were showing off Ghost of Tsushima.

jzhnthtrp0411.jpg

Last edited:
I just want another splinter cell. Or trackmania. Or rayman 😭

Conference was nice, but I didn't like the AC presentation much (when in Mirage they showed that teleport kill move that was like in odyssey I felt rage, and the movement felt too automatic despite trying to look like 1-2), and avatar was of course a far cry, what else

Drizzlehell

Banned
Dude, it's okay to laugh at a presentation that was cringeworthy and out-of-touch, but stop it already with this "amazing conference" shit.

If I would witness someone falling down the stairs while carrying a crate of glass bottles then you bet your ass that I would enjoy the sheer spectacle of it, but by no means would I consider something like this awesome.

CGNoire

I am not talking about next gen games like Avatar or the new Star Wars. Yes, they helped make it a great conference, but I am mostly talking about the format.

They had trailers for all of their games, followed by a creative director doing a bit of talking we all hated back in the day but now is obvious that having someone talk between trailers is a great buffer to give our brains some rest. Keighley's shows are constant trailers which are basically ads that no one can take for 1-2 hours straight without losing their goddman minds.

Yes, it's cringy seeing these guys talk about something no one else is as passionate about as they are, but there is an honest passion here that suits who spend all day in corporate boardrooms simply cannot capture.

Then they had gameplay walkthroughs for everything. Some were RDR documentary style overviews, while others were pure walkthroughs. Regardless, every game got 10-15 minutes of screen time. They let these games breathe. We got to see what these games actually look like when you are playing them. Not everything looked great, but at least its not some cg trailer or some indie game no one gives a shit about.

I am shocked at how we had 4 conferences this year and only one brought gameplay demos and actual creative talent up on stage. Ubisoft is the king of downgrades, king of formulaic trash, among other shitty industry practices but man they get what the audience wants from E3 shows.
Well said.

It was not really "amazing", but it was refreshing to have one show with the old, "outdated" format.
It is what Ubisoft conferences always were. Not great, like some of Sony's have been in the past, but decent, properly showing stuff (*maybe lol), but not really being able to hype it. Very much like MS, it was what one can expect from them. MS did their usual trailer shows without any sense of pacing and needed breaks- with mostly great content though. Sony getting back to their old ways would be needed, they were the only ones with an actually amazing show. Kinda ignoring Devolver myself since those are goofy bordering insane sidetracking nonsense shows and the games sort of get second fiddle role, which is okay and working for a show with not so beloved games, but would be weird if the games themselves actually could carry the length of their shows.

CGNoire

Dude, it's okay to laugh at a presentation that was cringeworthy and out-of-touch, but stop it already with this "amazing conference" shit.

If I would witness someone falling down the stairs while carrying a crate of glass bottles then you bet your ass that I would enjoy the sheer spectacle of it, but by no means would I consider something like this awesome.
If read the op I think he really meant Nostalgic like comfort food.

The new Prince of Persia game looks good, a throwback to the original 2D platform game, and Assassin's Creed: Mirage looks fine, if overfamiliar but the promise of a more condensed and focus experience has me interested because I haven't completed any of the more recent games despite really enjoying them. There's just so much content that I just burn out completely long before completion.

Other than those two games, I didn't see much of interest for me. Just the usual Ubisoft sequels and live service games, the latter of which I have zero-interest in.

Just what I was thinking. Some good showings, weird cringy stage stuff, nice surprises, lots of gameplay. A good opener and a too good to be true closing game.

Now I can't wait to be disappointed by the release footage of Star Wars Outlaws :p

Joey.

Watching this conference right now.
Very old school and I love it. I like the pacing and someone coming out to talk and explain the game that we just saw.
Hopefully Xbox/PS/Nintendo can come full circle to this again. Even SGF should take notes.

Top Bottom