• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA has 5-6 unannounced new IPs/franchise reboots (from owned IP) in development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I listened to a bit of the call to double check this when CVG reported the information, and they were slightly off in that they seem to not be counting only new IPs, but also reboots judging by the slides and the statements directly prior to this one.

They seem to consider the two categories the same from their perspective, presumably because a rebooted IP is a lot like a new IP in terms of how you have to market/sell it.

CVG said:
"There are probably about five or six new IPs that are fully owned and we haven't announced yet," he added, noting that the publisher may nurture these depending on how the market grows.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413684/mirrors-edge-2-is-open-world-says-ea-exec/

Note: These are owned IPs only. Star Wars, sports games, and other things like the right half of this chart are not part of this statement.

brands21xv3.png

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't tell if that would or would not include various Star Wars games.

If they start a new Star Wars series, they would own that title even if they don't own the franchise rights that it requires, right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
System Shock
Burnout
Road Rash
Fight Night
Two new IP.

That's my guess.

Sorry I should have mentioned they're only talking about wholly owned IP here, so Fight Night isn't part of that.

I can't tell if that would or would not include various Star Wars games.

If they start a new Star Wars series, they would own that title even if they don't own the franchise rights that it requires, right?

This was on the licensed half in the slide.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A franchise reboot is not a new IP and trying to mix the two together is disgusting and speaks to how profoundly risk adverse and uncreative the industry is.

Doesnt sound like EA is ever gonna try for a new IP again for a while...titanfall is new by the fact it's a new studios first game. Guess I can't blame them for playing safe considering the dismal few years they've had.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If your reboot is so far removed from the original that you need to market it and treat it like a new IP, then just make a new fucking IP. Unless EA is just chomping at the bit to get more games performing like Syndicate.

Morthas

Neo Member
I wish they would sell the Dungeon Keeper franchise to someone capable of creating DK3. I don't want a new Dungeon Keeper from EA. I know it would be bad.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This was on the licensed half in the slide.

Gotcha, thanks.

Well it'll be interesting to see what this involves. I mean, I loved the hell out of some of EA's new IP last generation like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge. They can make great new games when they want to.

Dr Dogg

Am I the only person in the world who would like to see another Road Rash? Openworld bike combat racing ahoy!

Edit: Judging by the slew of comments above maybe not.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
These are my top 5 desired reboote fwiw:
1. Road Rash (seems blatantly obvious)
2. Mutant League
3. General Chaos
4. Wing Commander
5. Polterguy

I hate seeing Ultima referenced near the word 'reboots'. It's merely another reminder of the series's horribly squandered legacy.

To be fair, I honestly don't know which developer could reliably build upon that foundation.

Hopefully it will be Star Wars 1313. I've been waiting for a Boba Fett game for 20 years and when I finally get one, it gets canned.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I hate seeing Ultima referenced near the word 'reboots'. It's merely another reminder of the series's horribly squandered legacy.

To be fair, I honestly don't know which developer could reliably build upon that foundation.

Not many. The Avadon guys could probably do something really cool though. Thing about most of the games in The Vault is that they're better off with sprites than 3D. Screw Mutant League, General Chaos, or Polterguy if they just make it generic 3D.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
FYI this includes mobile/crossplatform/F2P/etc for reboots. Don't necessarily expect AAA console stuff.

Quentyn

Is Visceral big enough to work on Star Wars and a new IP? Both Criterion and Bioware are working on new games. So that would be three unannounced games. Maybe the remaining three are mobile games?

Top Bottom