• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Gaias, a PC “16-Bit” JRPG on Kickstarter

Clydefrog

Check it Out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1940485896/the-great-gaias

Created by a small startup group in New York called Horizon’s End, The Great Gaias is a story-driven PC role playing game designed for lifelong lovers of the classical styled JRPG genre. Horizon’s End likens their gameplay to classics such as Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and the Final Fantasy series. In addition to the typical JRPG gameplay, it uses other ideas from games like Wizardry and Elder Scrolls series: skills are used-based. The more you use a certain skill, the better you get at it. The battle system can be switched from active time to turn-based. There are 13 classes to choose from and there is no true “leader” in the party. There is an interesting crafting system as well as an idea to “build-your-own-city”. The final game is slated to have 60 hours of gameplay.

This game really interested me when I saw it on Kickstarter because it seems like an ambitious stray from the typical JRPG yet still embraces what the classics have to offer. It is a small Kickstarter with a $25,000 goal but these guys seem pretty talented.

After being boned by the Kobe beef jerky scam on Kickstarter, this seems like a fresh of breath air.

Spwn

Do we really want to see a carbon copy of one of those classic games? I don't really know how to feel about this type of nostalgia projects.

Ugh, another RPG Maker Kickstarter...

All the best to the people working on it, but it's hard not to see a ragged looking RPG maker project here.

Soule

I really hope they're still working on the graphics, some bits look good from what I saw in the video like the air ship at the end and combat backgrounds, but some parts look really unappealing with the tile-texture look. Some of the things they talked about sound interesting at least.

EDIT: oh, RPG Maker, makes sense now

Actually doesn't look too bad but the fact that it is an RPG Maker game or looks exactly like one will limit its impact and sales.

Where is all the money going? I mean they list a "budget" at the bottom but all that money is just going to salaries so they can pay themselves while it's in development, right?

Oh cool. The portrait art isn't awful like a lot of western-made "JRPGs" emulating the anime style. The effects are cool too.

Would love to see an actual good one of these with a semi-serious story. Hopefully this won't be another Black Sigil.

I hate when they mix different art styles in games.

If you are going with pixel art, use it all the way, incl the fonts.

Dont mix in "paint brushed" artwork.

Sentenza

25k to make an RPG maker game? lolno.
Essentially.
They seem like nice guys and the pitch video suggests they put a fair amount of work in their system, but I'm not going to fund a RPG maker project.
Hell, I'm not going to play a RPG Maker project either unless someone pays me to do it, actually.

Step up your game, guys. There were neat things in the '90s, but the "RPG maker look" isn't among them.

Sykotik

Damn, you guys are rough!

I think it looks pretty good. It's ambitious, and RPGMaker doesn't detract from that. Gotta work with what you got.

Game looks a bit rough for sure, but really digging the combat animations. Has the flair I wanted out of a 2d FF style game.

aug 2014 is a while off though, so i'm a bit hesitant with KS these days :/

would totally pick this up when its out though.

gngf123

To those guys who are treating RPGmaker as a bad thing:

to-the-moon-logo1.jpg

You can make some fantastic games with it if you know how. Unfortunately, this game looks a bit rough for now though.

Since Japan doesn't really do it anymore, this is exciting.

There are dozens of fantastic JRPG's released every year man. Japan just focus more on handhelds now.

Swig_

Can you make an RPGMaker game look like it's not an RPGMaker game if you put enough effort into the art and possibly scripting?

Sentenza

Can you make an RPGMaker game look like it's not an RPGMaker game if you put enough effort into the art and possibly scripting?
Sort of, some projects did, but you will be tied anyway to some strong engine limitations (in other words: beside custom art it will keep the very same "RPGMaker feel" in terms on interface etc).

Vamphuntr

So tired of indies studios name dropping big RPGs to pimp their stuff. FF, Chrono Cross and Xenogears were made by big teams and it's kind of misleading to expect them to make something of similar quality. They actually say they want to rival these games. Good luck, the screens doesn't scream that level of quality to me.

Also they are talking about ATB, isn't that patented by SE?

wrowa

So tired of indies studios name dropping big RPGs to pimp their stuff. FF, Chrono Cross and Xenogears were made by big teams and it's kind of misleading to expect them to make something of similar quality. They actually say they want to rival these games. Good luck, the screens doesn't scream that level of quality to me.

Definitely agree with this. Every time I see these games listed as an inspiration you want to live up to I immediately stop treating a project seriously. If you aren't at the very least an established indie studio, you will have no chance in hell to make something that gets even remotely close to these games. Making an RPG is simple, making a great RPG however is something not a whole lot of people truly can do.

Yes, but it's a game engine geared towards younger hobbyists with a lot of prefabricated components, so it's too easy to rely on existing features and UI elements that make RPG Maker games so identifiable.

Hobbyist games like I Miss the Sunrise stand apart. While the graphics are amateurish, it definitely has its own cohesive aesthetic to it, and it isn't immediately identifiable as an RPG Maker project.

ss_ep3_bonus.jpg

fleets.jpg

(also, I recommend this if you are into hobbyist games)

Tellaerin

yep that's rpgmaker.

To be fair, a good number of fantastic JP indie games use RPG maker.

They of course sell for under $5.

To hear some of you guys talk, you'd think you just name your characters, press a button, and RPG Maker spits out a finished RPG. :p

The later versions of RPG Maker provide a really nice development framework for 2D RPG's, with support for scripting in Ruby (RGSS). That makes development easier than coding up a commercial-quality oldschool RPG from scratch in C++ would be, but that's the point of any kind of middleware. You're still talking about custom art, music, scripting, etc.

Should developers only expect $5 or less for Unreal Engine games? I mean, they're just plugging assets and uscript scripts into a middleware engine, too. It's not like they're doing actual work or anything. :p

mihon

Although I like it as an JRPG fan, it's too RPGMaker-ish. There are already too many good (and better) free around there.

I'd approve if they actually upgrade to a new engine, or with better and enhanced graphics (still 2D) that doesn't resemble RPG Maker. Or if the game is actually surprisingly new and mindblowind (as for the video, it isn't).

Clydefrog

Well I'm still going to give them the benefit of the doubt since they said all of their videos are "pre-alpha". According to them, the game is far from finished.

I guess I wasn't too familiar with RPGMaker when I created this thread...

Top Bottom