• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: PS4 won't make us change "anything" with Xbox One [ummm]

Microsoft’s Major Nelson said in an interview recently that Sony’s PS4 console isn’t going to make them change anything about their Xbox One system.

The PS4 pretty much beat out the Xbox One in positive press this week with it’s lack of used game DRM, lack of 24-hour check-ins, and price tag. When asked if these announcements by Sony will influence Microsoft and make them change what they’re doing with Xbox One he had this to say:

“I don’t think,… I mean we’re really not going to change anything we’ve done with Xbox One. We’re very happy,… did you see the games on stage during our briefing? Did you see the exclusives? I mean we’re really really proud of the system and the games that are coming out. When you look at games like TitanFall,… have you gone through Titanfall yet? Enough said. Conversation over. We’re really happy with what we showed on stage as well as what we’re showing here in the booth so I think it is uh,… it’s safe to say that we’re confident where we’re going. We’re also confident that gamers are going to love our vision of the future and what we’re going to offer for gaming”

Nelson seems a bit on the defensive here and I feel sympathy for him. I’ve always liked him personally and his job just got a lot harder with all the controversial policies of the Xbox One.

Of course, even if Microsoft planned to change something about the Xbox One in response to Sony’s PS4 they wouldn’t make that decision so quickly and wouldn’t admit it was Sony that influenced it. Still, they seem very proud of everything they’re doing with the Xbox One and hopefully when the system releases they tweak a few of their policies for the better.

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/06/...e-us-change-anything-weve-done-with-xbox-one/

Mock if old.

Yep. Microsoft is gonna see this through till the end.

mr_nothin

Banned
This guy really likes asking pretentious & rhetorical questions to get his point across doesnt he?
How arrogant can you get.

Well you can grab the mic out of an interviewer's hand in the middle of him talking and start asking him rhetorical questions that you already know the answers to.
He really did this

DieH@rd

Banned
sy2pucw6qc5.gif

I honestly wasn't blown away with Titan fall...just another shooter Mr Nelson.

Seriously. He's trying to pitch Titanfall like it's this amazing breakthrough in gaming. It's just another shooter with the usually flair of just enough different goodies to make it sound original. If that's what they are hanging their hat on as the major factor in the console wars, they are in even worse shape.

Titan Fall looks like it'll be on the same level as Killzone as far as popularity, if that. It ain't the next Halo or CoD, that's for sure.

Wazzy

Banned
Their arrogance is astounding. I really hope this all backfires because they really need a dose of reality.

NotUS

This guy is too good for Microsoft, he needs to go to Sony or Nintendo.

How long do you think he can keep up fake positive PR for a dud of a system.

Kolgar

Honestly though is he supposed to say "yeah we're totally going to change shit because our ideas suck and Sony's are good" ??

Yeah, he's in a spot, all right. I think MS may well make changes if their brand continues to take such a ferocious beating from gamers and the press. Certainly if they start getting whupped badly in sales, which they may not realize until too late if indeed their supplies are limited for the first several months due to the yields issue.

Anyway, stay the course, Microsoft. I won't buy your console, but it will entertain me mightily nonetheless.

Gori

They expect us to have the attention span of a five year-old, and quite often we do.

- Hey, are you going to change something about your console, now that we're complaining?
- LOOK, TITANFALL!!!

They don't need to

Average Joes will buy this with no hesitation this fall

oh it'll sellout for sure THIS fall (as most new consoles do, the wiiU included!). the problem will come when word of mouth spreads and people realize all the shit that has gone into the system. i don't think MS is going to like the end result.

there are a lot of Average Joes right now that are looking forward to the system but really have no idea about DRM, online checks, no lending, etc. and i really doubt MS is going to make them fully aware of it when promoting the system. even if there was no DRM, no restrictions on selling games, all the stuff people will dislike, you're still coming in at over $100 more expensive. and THEN you're going to tack on all this other shit?

MS is in a tough position. the direction they are headed with xbone is fucking stupid but it's almost like they're at the point of no return with it

Can't say that I'm as impressed with their exclusives as other seem to be. To little variety and no real ambition to anything different.

Into

Until numbers show them otherwise they wont even entertain the idea of changing anything.

The bigger a company becomes, less mobile it is, less capable of change it is. Microsoft is too large to suddenly make a drastic change.

It also does not help that they are targeting Apple, Google and Samsung with the Xbone, and not so much Sony.

So when you compare the prices, you have to remember that MS is looking at Apple devices and saying "hey why cant we do that?".

JimiNutz

Banned
Titanfall looks great....
But you don't bet the farm on one game!

Titanfall was actually my most anticipated game leading into E3, and while it looks fantastic, it wasn't enough to convince me (a huge Xbox/360 fan) to get an Xbox One.

Instead I pre-ordered a PS3 the moment Sony announced their pricing.

All of these comments from MS after E3 are actually making me feel better and better about going Sony. Rather than trying their hand at damage control they actually seem to be attempting to maximize the damage inflicted. It's like the figure that if they shit all over us as gamers now, they can only go up from there??

Never have I had such a huge turn around on a company/product. MS went from hero to zero in literally 3 years for me.

rodan

Neo Member
MS do seem to be banking on their games being so desirable that customers will put up with all sorts of crap to play them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They don't need to

Average Joes will buy this with no hesitation this fall

Potentially. But word of mouth will spread. Ad if they have yield issues leading to low stock at launch or soon after, there is a risk they won't get a decent volume of units sold through before people start to catch on. Could be nasty for them

Can't imagine it will take long before the local news articles about how little jimmy can't play the game he saved up for on his shiny new Xbox because the Internet went down, or shots of an angry parent at GameStop with a pile of Xbox one launch games to trade in, standing over a fallen magazine rack.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can't say that I'm as impressed with their exclusives as other seem to be. To little variety and no real ambition to anything different.

Not to mention there's a big question mark over how many of the games are exclusives in the traditional sense versus timed exclusives.

Top Bottom