• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault |OT| Feels Like Halo

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
aZK0MzG.png

asCozHw.png

Developer: 343 Industries and Vanguard Games
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Genre: Top Down Shooter
Release Date: July 18th, 2013
Platforms: Windows 8 PC, Windows 8 Tablet, Windows Phone 8
Players: 1
Price: 6.99$

*RELEASE 4PM PACIFIC 7PM EASTERN* Source

*Unofficial 360 PAD support method*
3wseVBX.jpg

esrb_halospartanassault.png

In the U.S., the mobile version will be exclusive on Verizon Wireless until Aug. 16. According to the website, 1 GB RAM is required to run the game on Windows Phone 8 devices and a "Version supporting 512 MB RAM [on] Windows Phone 8 [is] coming August 2013." - Courtesy of Polygon

Can I use an Xbox 360 controller for Halo: Spartan Assault?

Yes, although use of the Xbox 360 controller is limited to the Windows 8 PC version of the game. This control method won't be available immediately at launch, however. Until 360 controller functionality is patched in a couple of weeks after launch, PC players will need to use a keyboard and mouse.

Source: http://www.gametrailers.com/mobile-apps/55051/halo-spartan-assault-qa

PR said:
Available only for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8*, "Halo: Spartan Assault" is a new top-down action shooter that brings a "Halo" video game to touch-based devices for the first time in franchise history. Developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Vanguard Games, "Halo: Spartan Assault" provides an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike.

Set between the events of "Halo 3" and "Halo 4," "Halo: Spartan Assault" is a new chapter of the award-winning "Halo" universe that explores the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and dives deeper into the backstory of Human-Covenant wars. Play through the eyes of either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis stationed aboard the UNSC Infinity as they fight never-before-seen battles against Covenant forces.

With rich storytelling, intuitive controls, and best-in-class action, audio and graphics, "Halo: Spartan Assault" brings the epic scale and action of the "Halo" universe to mobile devices through unrivaled action and intensity.

skHJmxh.png

xTzasd8.jpg
efqULSH.jpg
MXxzecg.jpg
mpe4TDs.jpg
S3fwVsi.jpg
glHuzx0.jpg

kKtJA4V.png

GameSpot E3 Demo

WM Experts Off Screen E3 Gameplay

E3 Off-Screen gameplay and interview

Announcement Trailer

obzL8bN.png

*To be updated*

chemicals

I love top-downs and I LOVE Halo, so I'm in. Just don't have anything to play it on yet. Windows 8 is balls.

glHuzx0.jpg

This is why I dont like touch screen gaming for certain genres and why, even though I have a Win 8 Mobile phone, I wont be buying it on mobile. You get to see about 20% of whats on the screen at most times.

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a demo of this on the PC side? Also why arent there any reviews out yet. I dont wanna buy it if its like 45 minutes long.

This is going to be a fun time killer whenever this game shows up on the WP store today. Knowing my luck, it'll come out when I am nowhere near WiFi

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Yes, although use of the Xbox 360 controller is limited to the Windows 8 PC version of the game. This control method won't be available immediately at launch, however. Until 360 controller functionality is patched in a couple of weeks after launch, PC players will need to use a keyboard and mouse.

Forgot about that, adding to OP

That's all I need to know. (Will buy as soon as it's patched.)

Thanks,

Are you fucking serious? A twin stick shooter and they have to patch in a basic thing like controller support?

Is 343 developing this? Cause that would explain that.

statham

aww yisss

Caayn

Are you fucking serious? A twin stick shooter and they have to patch in a basic thing like controller support?

Is 343 developing this? Cause that would explain that.
Well 343i is going to continue with Spartan Assault what they've started doing with Halo 4. Release now and fix later. Sadly Halo 4 still isn't fixed, and probably never will. Let's hope that Spartan Assault is less broken.

Looking at Forza V it seems like its becoming a trend at MS studios. Just release whatever you have and add whatever should have been there later.

Showing up if you go from the Games tile to the windows games store, but it just redirects you to the app store :/
(windows 8 on my desktop)

How is a day one patch "later" ?

Day 1 doesnt change the fact that Turn 10 is releasing an unfinished game. In their case the patch that makes it playable is coming day 1(hopefully), in this case in the second week. In both cases the developers basically threw up whatever they could to meet a deadline.

I dont mind bugfixes and balancing tweaks being patched in post release. But I do expect a game to work out of the box without me downloading a GBs of data or waiting a couple of weeks to add something as basic as controller support.

Day 1 doesnt change the fact that Turn 10 is releasing an unfinished game. In their case the patch that makes it playable is coming day 1(hopefully), in this case in the second week. In both cases the developers basically threw up whatever they could to meet a deadline.

I dont mind bugfixes and balancing tweaks being patched in post release. But I do expect a game to work out of the box without me downloading a GBs of data or waiting a couple of weeks to add something as basic as controller support.
You're making a lot of assumptions, for one. For two, day 1 patches are not uncommon. I don't see the need to point it out as a glaring flaw.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Looking at Forza V it seems like its becoming a trend at MS studios. Just release whatever you have and add whatever should have been there later.

This is a touch game... Controller support is something outside what the game was made for, so they are adding it after launch. I don't get the deal here. It's made for touchscreens first.

Ruze789

This looks like a Halo game that would make me play Halo again, I'll pick it up on the W8 store when the controller support is added.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I had the chance to play this at Build 2013. I must have played the 3 demo levels for over 2 hours. I kept skipping lunch to go to the demo area and pour more time into this game. Amazing, must get!

Xbudz

It's bullshit that I'll need to configure Xpadder for this.

I had the chance to play this at Build 2013. I must have played the 3 demo levels for over 2 hours. I kept skipping lunch to go to the demo area and pour more time into this game. Amazing, must get!

I agree, I had a chance to play it a few weeks ago at a microsoft event, it it feels strangely like Halo. The "lock on/aim-assist felt a little strong at times, but kind of necessary because of the awkwardness of the touch controls. It was a lot of fun.

ascii42

Hasn't exclusives always been for selling hardware? Why should Microsoft not treat their IP's like Nintendo and Sony?

A PS3 game would have to be severely altered to run on PS2. A Windows 8 game wouldn't have to be altered much to run on Windows 7.

Caayn

A PS3 game would have to be severely altered to run on PS2. A Windows 8 game wouldn't have to be altered much to run on Windows 7.
That's not the point that Doffen is trying to get across. Microsoft is giving people more reason to buy a Windows (Phone) 8 device. Something that people have been screaming for a while. But when Microsoft does, people start screaming that Microsoft shouldn't push them.
*RELEASE 4PM PACIFIC 7PM EASTERN* Source
So it's available on the 19th of July in the rest of the world...

Top Bottom