• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Old school FPS meets Roguelike" Paranautical Activity gets a Kickstarter

Found this game thanks to Toma's Indie Thread
Desura | Kickstarter | Trailer

Described as "combining the classic FPS action of games like Doom and Quake, with the randomness and difficulty of modern roguelikes like Binding of Isaac and Spelunky"

FyVPF1.jpg

vlc_2013-02-05_20-16-59-40.png

vlc_2013-04-04_16-39-23-04.png

Haven't played it yet, any GAF impressions?

I would be more interested if it dropped the blocky look. Is this a limitation of using voxels or just an artistic choice? I'm getting pretty burnt on these games looking so similar.

FloatOn

I would be more interested if it dropped the blocky look. Is this a limitation of using voxels or just an artistic choice? I'm getting pretty burnt on these games looking so similar.

pretty much. especially after seeing what everquest next does with voxels.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I have it, but haven't tried it out yet. I'll boot it up Tuesday night and post my early impressions.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Has anyone played this? I might get it tonight or tomorrow but I was interested if anyone has any impressions
The alpha came in a bundle I bought awhile back. I forgot I even had it. I'm giving it a quick run through and I'm pretty impressed. The soundtrack seems to be composed of face rocking techno that blends right in with the atmosphere and playstyle. The gameplay is somewhat reminiscent of a 3D Robotron, and the visuals are really slick in the same kind of 8-bit way. It's challenging but not demoralizing. I could see myself putting some real time into it.

There are a few rough edges, but it's so early that it's hard to say how the final product will end up. It's difficult to tell when you get hit sometimes. Some more variety in the weapons and items wouldn't hurt either. And the game is just begging for multiplayer. Chaos loves company.

The alpha came in a bundle I bought awhile back. I forgot I even had it. I'm giving it a quick run through and I'm pretty impressed. The soundtrack seems to be composed of face rocking techno that blends right in with the atmosphere and playstyle. The gameplay is somewhat reminiscent of a 3D Robotron, and the visuals are really slick in the same kind of 8-bit way. It's challenging but not demoralizing. I could see myself putting some real time into it.

There are a few rough edges, but it's so early that it's hard to say how the final product will end up. It's difficult to tell when you get hit sometimes. Some more variety in the weapons and items wouldn't hurt either. And the game is just begging for multiplayer. Chaos loves company.
Well it's meant to be a roguelike or at least roguelike-ish. The last two Kickstarter goals are co op MP and competitive MP.

Top Bottom