• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broadchurch - A compelling mystery series w/ David Tennant - S2 - Mondays on ITV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

BBC AMERICA’s “Broadchurch,” which earned critical acclaim, including BAFTA nods, and broken records on Twitter in the UK, centers on the investigation into the murder of a young boy in a British seaside town.

Leading the investigation are two detectives – the strong yet compassionate local Detective Sergeant, Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman), and the by-the-book Detective Inspector Alec Hardy (David Tennant), Ellie’s newly appointed boss.

By circumstance they are partnered to solve the murder, keeping the newspapers from derailing the investigation and trying to prevent the crime from impacting tourism at the beach where the boy was murdered.

Broadchurch premieres Wednesday, August 7 at 10:00pm ET/PT as part of Dramaville.

BROADCHURCH Series Premiere Full Episode - BBC AMERICA

Cast

• Charlotte Beaumont as Chloe Latimer
  • Jodie Whittaker as Beth Latimer
  • Andrew Buchan as Mark Latimer
  • Pauline Quirke as Susan Wright
  • Simone McAullay as Becca Fisher
  • David Tennant as DI Alec Hardy
  • Olivia Colman as DS Ellie Miller
  • Adam Wilson as Tom Miller
  • Matthew Gravelle as Joe Miller
  • Will Mellor as Steve Connelly
  • Vicky McClure as Karen White
  • Jonathan Bailey as Olly Stevens
  • Carolyn Pickles as Maggie Radcliffe

Videos

Broadchurch Trailer
David Tennant & Olivia Colman Talk To Daybreak About Broadchurch

Reviews

What “Broadchurch” has to offer, beyond its central performances and its intelligent but not particularly original plot, is mood: a tasty icing of gloom and foreboding that leans heavily on the music of Olafur Arnalds and the cinematography of Matt Gray

- NY Times

You should do everything you can to watch the exceptionally striking British miniseries “Broadchurch,” which was a big hit over there earlier this year and makes its debut here on BBC America on Wednesday night. It’s among the best detective shows — and perhaps even among the best dramas — in several years. It will break your heart and keep you guessing all the way through.

- Washington Post

Broadchurch,” which premieres Wednesday at 10 p.m. on BBC America, may peter out by the end; that’s always a risk when it comes to elongated criminal cases on TV. As the shadow of suspicion falls on character after character, viewer burnout is a possibility. But the first few episodes of this import promise no slack — and plenty of poignancy — as the story line moves closer to the truth of the matter.

- The Boston Globe

Betty

Banned
Very good series, I'd highly recommend it. One of the more interesting detective shows.

Everyone here had fun trying to guess who did it.

mclem

Yeah, this is great, enjoy it. And yes, Olivia Colman is *superb*.

That said, a warning: There was a lot of discussion about it when it was airing. Be very careful what you read; spoilers are out there and numerous.

mclem

What kind of seaside town? Poor or rich?

I got the impression it was smallish. Does some tourist trade, but isn't a huge destination.

When I was very young our family used to go on holidays to Westgate-on-Sea. That's probably a reasonable benchmark, although *given* it's a small seaside town, I'm not sure anyone else would be able to interpret it!

Very good show. One of the few murder mysteries I was able to guess right, and one of even fewer where I guessed right yet wasn't disappointed in the least.

Beautifully shot too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Since I added BBC America I've been watching it non stop with Top gear and Doctor Who, saw adverts for this. Will watch tonight.

V_Arnold

The UK is in full force this year. Between Broadchurch and Utopia, I do not know which surprised me more profoundly, but both are amazing, that is for sure. Watch it, and avoid spoilers!

Petrichor

If you've seen the danish, or hell even the american version of "the killing" don't bother with this - its an inferior facsimile + added clairvoyants - sympathetic family. In fact, even if you haven't seen the killing, just watch that instead.

The only compelling things about it were the soundtrack and olivia colman's performance (watch the channel 4 series "run" if you want to see her in something with a script worth a damn)

Thanks for putting the thread together, Ratsky. Sounds like a great series.

A few more reviews:

- Sepinwall: BBC America's 'Broadchurch' a simple, devastating mystery
"Broadchurch" is a police procedural, and an effective one, but what renders it special is the way it tracks the ways that physical and emotional violence haunts everyone in the town.
- Poniewozik: TV Tonight: Broadchurch
I didn't want to watch one more moody drama about a child murder, either. But this British drama is excellent, most of all for how it treats the living.

If you've seen the danish, or hell even the american version of "the killing" don't bother with this - its an inferior facsimile + added clairvoyants - sympathetic family. In fact, even if you haven't seen the killing, just watch that instead.

The only compelling things about it were the soundtrack and olivia colman's performance (watch the channel 4 series "run" if you want to see her in something with a script worth a damn)

image.php

always wrong

Leeness

Uhm, any way for a Canadian to watch this?

If it's been recording properly (I haven't been able to watch yet), it's been on Showcase in Vancouver since Sunday, and it's on Sunday and Monday nights. I have two recorded so far, hoping to watch one tonight :D

Clevinger

I agree somewhat with pretrichor. Just somewhat. The writing is really mediocre. The show is still good, but just good, thanks to lovely cinematography, a good soundtrack, and strong performances from Tennant, Olivia Colman, and some others. But the writing is exactly what you'd expect from a mediocre Doctor Who/Torchwood writer and the guy who brought us Camelot, so the whole thing feels a bit hollow by the end.

And like he said,
the clairvoyant thing is so stupid.

Leeness

Yeah the first episode is available for streaming from the showcase website

2 should be up as well, because they do a new one Sunday and Monday!

(Well, as far as I can tell...gonna watch soon, will report back, haha)

OH, and just to make sure, the killer is definitely revealed the first season, right? And doesn't dick around like The Killing? The ending of season 1 made me so mad, I quit watching that shit.

Chris Chibnall is a dilettante and the prospect of him taking over doctor who is a frightening one.

This man speaks the truth, hopefully Chibnall will be busy when Moffat's done.

BBC America... Are they going to be airing butchered edits like with Doctor Who and other shows? The sound is certainly bad.

This airs on ITV in the UK, it has ads/ad breaks originally so hopefully isn't edited too much.

Fjord

Found this show took itself way too seriously for the quality of writing. We gave up watching it after around 8 episodes in favour of Top of the Lake.

ghstwrld

This is giving The Killing teas. D:

Please tell we at least don't have to deal with deeply half-baked and convoluted political conspiracies.

Timbuktu

I can't decide if this is better than Top of the Lake.

This was the easier watch for sure though. Didn't take it as seriously and enjoyed it more. It was never quite as bleak as the Danish or Kiwi settings and the town still looks like a lovely place to visit for the summer. Nothing groundbreaking or particularly special about the writing, but executed well enough.

Found this show took itself way too seriously for the quality of writing. We gave up watching it after around 8 episodes in favour of Top of the Lake.

Erm... There are only eight episodes. I liked it not being too big a commitment.

tim.mbp

This was good, really emotional. Tennant was much better here than in Spies of Warsaw, which was almost unwatchable.

Celegus

Never heard of it, but David Tennant? Sign me up! I like that it's a miniseries instead of a never-ending rehash of hundreds of episodes like most TV shows seem to be (and why I don't watch them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom