• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Murder |OT| It's a Punkrockalypse!

derFeef

charliemur_header3ijj5b.png

nh9wFZr.png

Team up with your friends to lead embattled punk rock band Charlie Murder in their epic quest to save the world from rival death metalers
Gore Quaffer and their legions of evil. RPG it up as you hoard insane loot to buff your character (and look excellent),
earn fans to unlock powerful finishers and teamup moves, get tattoos to channel your “Anar-Chi,” and uncover mysterious relics of modern myth!

Developer: Ska Studios
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Genre: Brawler x RPG (Yes, loot!)
Price: 800 MSP
Release Date: 14th August
Modes: Offline, online coop & PVP, 2-4 Players

SgXpUXs.png

It all began one night when Charlie, his roommate Lester, and his girlfriend Kelly were hanging out watching some late night dramavision.
Inspired by a T-shirt he just remembered, Charlie pulled out a notepad and began scribbling down some wicked lyrics.
Lester, moved by Charlie’s melodic mumblings, started strumming his acoustic guitar. Fellow building dwellers Tommy and Rex were passing
by the room when they heard the sweet sound, so they grabbed their instruments to join in and that night,
the skull-shatteringly intense sound that would become known simply as Charlie Murder was formed.

If the band Charlie Murder was Frankenstein’s Monster, Charlie would have been the electricity that brought that beast to life.
From one earth shaking show to the next, Charlie’s sonorous vocals and complex messages of chaos in America blew minds and eardrums alike,
with hits like Death Dealing Metal Matilda and I Vote 4 Chaos. The band was unmatched not only in record sales and damage of private property,
whether it was sold out venues or five star hotels, and the heart of this tsunami of punk rock destruction was green-haired rocker named Charlie.

But maybe Charlie flew too close to the sun.

And maybe Charlie hurt someone. Maybe Charlie made some ghosts.

Stars die, don’t they? When Charlie’s flame flickers out, will the ghosts be there, thirsty for blood?

ylou2uO.png

Launch Trailer.

xgcQT78.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I hope this eventually comes to PC. I played this at the last PAX Prime and PAX East, and it actually is a lot of fun and mixes genres well between beat-em ups, and story-based horror. I was able to play the first three stages with some others at PAX East, and my thoughts was that each stage was better than the last.

For those who don't know what to compare it too, it made me think of the Simpsons Arcade game the most (partially because of the character co-op moves you can do and how the stages are designed made me think of that game and its set-pieces), just a lot darker and bloodier with some things that actually get kind of creepy later on (in the third level, the asylum, there's not many normal enemies but reality will kind of shift in the stage that shows scenes of people getting tortured in the asylum and these shadowy messed-up monsters will start attacking you until reality shifts back again, eventually reality shifts to this memory of your characters a few weeks ago in a hotel room drunk (and if you wish, getting drunker) and totally messing up their hotel room... It was honestly a very interesting take on a beat-em up stage).

derFeef

Sweet, thanks for the impressions. It sure looks fun and I tend to enjoy the SKA games. You can find a lot of videos of the game now as they gave out codes and the embargo is up.

Feindflug

This game looks really interesting and at 800 points it's an easy purchase for me.

BTW the Joystic review is 3.5/5 and not 4.5...the lack of checkpoints sounds kind of dumb to be honest and may lead to frustration thus reviewers will probably rip this game apart. :p

derFeef

This game looks really interesting and at 800 points it's an easy purchase for me.

BTW the Joystic review is 3.5/5 and not 4.5...the lack of checkpoints sounds kind of dumb to be honest and may lead to frustration thus reviewers will probably rip this game apart. :p

Whoops typo corrected, thanks :)

I'm having a lot of fun with this. I've only been playing with one other person but I imagine with four players shit get insane.

Although I wish the menu system was done differently and gave me more information.

legbone

no demo for me yet. wierd. i've noticed xbla is getting bad about putting up demos late. i guess they figure people will buy titles without playing the demo this way. i may be a little cynical though. i always figure "follow the money".

i wish they included a movelist, i don't know how to do the somersault

cool game btw, but it the first four stages were very easy, and it seems that the combat system isn't as good as dishwasher ds

desertdroog

Just ordered the 7 inch vinyl, because, why the hell not?!

I like that vinyl is a part of the video game medium experience, (nod to the Bioshock franchis), it is a relevant extra.

Anyone else not able to play online? I'm clearly connected but I get a message saying I must be connected to live when I try to get online.

Daigoro

Anyone else not able to play online? I'm clearly connected but I get a message saying I must be connected to live when I try to get online.
hmm I saw that message before I bought the game, I figured it was because I was only playing the demo.

I'll check it out when I get back home. sounds like something is up though.

question: for castle crashers, in order to bring a local player online, you both need gold.

can you bring a guest online in this game? IE have a second controller log in, and have it save their stats and everything and play online as a guest? or will it not let you do that ala castle crashers?

i was going to gameshare this game with some friends but everyone besides me already has the dash beta :(

MYeager

Had that happen once, I dashboarded and relaunched the game and it worked.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. Destructoid's review made comments about how loot aside from bosses wasn't really worth it, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I'm consistently running into loot with new abilities or are stronger than what I currently have equipped. I'm not having a problem on the normal difficulty going solo either, the Anar-chi spells almost make me feel a bit overpowered even.

Loving all the references though. The Pyramid-Head pony made me laugh.

desertdroog

Just finished a first run though, and have some questions:

Final level spoilers.

What was the significance of the different body parts being checked off before the final battle? I only had one of the four, Smockula's eye, equipped. - Nice Simon Blemon reference perhaps?

After the final battle, there was a choice to go to Normal or Chaos world. I assume Chaos is the new game+

What is the deal with the locked portal in the world that you could choose between Normal and Chaos?

Decado

Why isn't this game getting any attention? Several major review sites don't have reviews up and it's been out for a while. Hope it didn't flop. Love what little I played (waiting for the weekend to play with a friend).

This is pretty much the last notable Xbox 360 exclusive.

I anticipate enjoying this game a lot and I suspect it solidify SKA Studios' place as my favourite indie developer this gen.

Daigoro

Why isn't this game getting any attention? Several major review sites don't have reviews up and it's been out for a while. Hope it didn't flop. Love what little I played (waiting for the weekend to play with a friend).

This is pretty much the last notable Xbox 360 exclusive.

I anticipate enjoying this game a lot and I suspect it solidify SKA Studios' place as my favourite indie developer this gen.

I was playing today and I came here to ask the same question.

this game is really fun and interesting. it deserves way more attention.

one page thread here on gaf is a damn shame. these guys make great games and this is one of them.

shit! the lp is sold out. I was going to impulse buy one right this moment... bummer.

border

I have a 28" HDTV.

I downloaded the demo.

Although the developers might have thought it was cute to include all the upgrades and menus on a tiny in-game cell-phone screen, it basically made all that stuff really irritating for me to try and read.

That's why I've ignored the game, for the most part.

Daigoro

only the upgrade menu is via the phone and it's as simple as it gets. all other phone stuff is just fluff.

the phone is small though and text is oddly cut off for some stuff. its weird, but you really don't need to use it much at all.

also the demo is fun, but it's nothing compared to the full game. the game has a shit ton of variety and cool shit to do. it's really great.

desertdroog

What a shame this only got one page for an OT.

Game was fun, nice throwback to old-school brawling with loot and RPG elements.

This might be my favorite XBLA game of all time.
The style this game has is just insane, the controls are responsive and the combat is just a blast. I have not had any issues with the game yet, either. Good stuff.

Daigoro

What a shame this only got one page for an OT.

Game was fun, nice throwback to old-school brawling with loot and RPG elements.
yup damn shame.

I was just playing last night for a few hours, and it was a blast.

this game has a lot to offer, but for some reason people just aren't seeing it.

Top Bottom