• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cerny: Multi-platform titles will be better on PS4

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Found by junior gruenel.

Verge: There's a lot of indie developer love at Sony, but you don't seem to have as much of a focus on exclusive titles as Microsoft. Is that perception accurate?

Cerny: I believe an underappreciated aspect of what's going on is that PlayStation 4 is the world's most powerful games console, and I think that is going to become increasingly apparent as time goes by. Even if titles are multi-platform, if the game experience is more responsive or more visually attractive on a certain platform, it definitely does play into the overall success.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/22/4646696/ps4-mark-cerny-interview-gamescom-2013

Salex

Banned
tumblr_maigjxotfo1qd8t4mo1_500.gif

War incoming.

Undoubtedly, just like the vast majority were better on the 360 this generation. It wasn't a big deal though aside from chest beating except in a few cases. It'll be the same this generation but in favour of Playstation.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You know that Cerny is pretty much the head of PS4 right?

longdi

Banned
I am glad based Cerny has finally decide to push home the PS4 hardware advantage.

World's most powerful console, lovely phrase, nice big screen shot at Gamescom :)

Dude is the main face of the crew who made it, I expect him to say that.

An aside, though; how happy do you think Cerny is? He basically went in lockdown for 5 years, came out swinging in Feb, and is just hammering it press wise now. He has to be proud of the reception of his/his team's work so far.

Undoubtedly, just like the vast majority were better on the 360 this generation. It wasn't a big deal though aside from chest beating except in a few cases. It'll be the same this generation but in favour of Playstation.

It's probable that the difference will be larger this generation. Time will tell of course.

onQ123

1st Page!

even though that's not exactly what he said I know this thread is going to explode just by the title.

grabs popcorn.

Tyrax

Lead sku determines which multiplat is best. Same is true of 360 vs PS3. If MS co-markets multiplat games, then XBO will be the best multiplat

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
PS3 consistently gets the lesser versions of multiplatform games and it didn't get crushed by the X360.

PS4 getting "superior versions" isn't something unbelievable with what we know so far but that's not all that's needed to come out on top.

antitrop

My guess is that by the end of this generation, both consoles will have been almost the same in performance in practice.

I don't think we're ever going to have a drastic visual disparity situation like PS2 vs Xbox again, or even Saturn vs PS1.

Why is this is even so controversial. We all know the ps4 is stronger.

My guess is that by the end of this generation, both consoles will have been almost the same in performance in practice.

I don't think we're ever going to have a situation like PS2 vs Xbox again.

wut...the end of the generation makes power gaps more noticable as developers push systems past what thry should be able to do.

gogogow

Misleading thread title. He's saying the PS4 is more powerful, thus it's possible for multi-platform games to look better on the PS4. Not that they will look better by default. And he totally dodged the question lol. Get's asked about exclusives, gives answer about multi-platform games.

PJV3

I just love the direction he's taking the playstation, the added boost of being more powerful is just icing on the cake.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The average person wouldn't know this though. They would think the game looks essentially the same on either console. The difference may be more apparent this time around, but to what extent? I can't imagine games will look that much better on the PS4. The difference between the pc and PS4 versions of a game will be greater than the difference between the Xbox and PS4.

inherendo

I'd wish people would stop making threads about these types of quotes. Obviously, both sides are gonna say their consoles are going to look better. I expect ps4 to look better, without much extra effort, but these posts don't really add anything to the conversation.

Irrelevant if developers code for the Xbone primarily.

This.

However, as with all things, it really depends who is the sales leader at the time of a title being greenlit. Lets not forget that the reasons that xbox 360 was the preferred lead platform werent just down to architecture. It released a year earlier and the most popular middleware was written with it in mind.

The playing field is alot more even this time, especially as both systems are closer to traditional PCs. Who is selling the most is going to have a huge impact on where the devs start.

Shots fired by Cerny.

To everyone saying that Cerny wouldn't say anything different. If the PS4 was weaker then he would obfuscate an answer and say that PlayStation gamers will get a great experience regardless of what the competition are doing. For him to come out and say that PS4 multiplats are going to be better than Xbone multiplats is a big deal.

Salex

Banned
Cerny can look into the future? Never knew that. Amazing man.

You don't need a crystal ball to see that PS4 multiplats will be superior to Xbox One multiplats. They both have similar architectures and the PS4 is either equal or clearly has advantages in every department hardware wise.

JABEE

I think this is a point that they were trying to drive home with their proclamation of being the most powerful gaming console.

It is a big deal that he is saying that they will have better looking multi-platform titles.

He even said one platform having the best looking multi platform games is an under appreciated feature of PS4.

That's different from just saying your games look great.

antitrop

wut...the end of the generation makes power gaps more noticable as developers push systems past what thry should be able to do.
That doesn't make any sense at all.

I think the Xbox One and the PS4 will be as similar in performance as the PS3 and the 360 were, which is pretty damn close. Or at least a lot closer than consoles used to be.

BigDug13

Irrelevant if developers code for the Xbone primarily.

First of all, why would they do that for this upcoming gen? And second of all, PS2 was the primary development platform and that didnt stop the Xbox port from shitting all over it visually.

Raymo

Lead sku determines which multiplat is best. Same is true of 360 vs PS3. If MS co-markets multiplat games, then XBO will be the best multiplat

It's not true of PS2 vs Xbox. Too many factors to make a blanket statement like you just did.

Top Bottom