• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #128 - "Folk and Fairy Tales"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme: Folk and Fairy Tales
(original or retellings of old stories)

Word Limit: 1600

Submission Deadline: Friday, September 6, by 11:59 p.m. Pacific

Voting begins Saturday, 7 September, and goes until Monday, 9 September at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Gender-flip!
Dudes in distress, warrior princesses, queens who want to marry their sons, who flee in donkeyskins, oh my!

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Pretty stressed with moving and starting my studies at a new university so probably won't have any time for this one. But the best of luck to all of you.

Edit: ... unless of course I make a very, very short one...

bengraven

GET IN HERE

Yeeeeeesssssss

west1.jpg

Damn. Had an idea for the last one but didn't have the time to hop in before the deadline closed. Want to try this one as I haven't written in years and need the practice but nothing's coming right away.

Hmm.

Tangent

Congrats hey_monkey!!!

Fun theme!
I have no idea what people are talking about with my holiday schedule... I don't feel like I'm cranking out children's stories for our challenges! So that makes it extra weird that that is what comes across!

Plus, I may have to sit this one out anyway -- new job is sorta kicking my butt. But we'll see.

You bastards...don't make me come back...

It's about time! :)

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I think I'll actually try this one this time! I've been wanting to join in, but always had something else I needed to work on...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kind of want to participate but English is not my 1st language soooo.... I am kind of hesitating :p

Do the submitted works actually get displayed anywhere for everyone to read?

adj_noun

Good topic!

Well, they're generally good topics.

Interesting topic!

Well, they're generally interesting topics.

...I'll shut up now.

Cyan

Banned
Kind of want to participate but English is not my 1st language soooo.... I am kind of hesitating :p

Do the submitted works actually get displayed anywhere for everyone to read?

If you want to write something, go ahead! We've had non-native speakers join in before, it's all good.

And no, they're not exactly displayed anywhere. What happens is you post a link to your story, on Dropbox or Google Docs or similar (or just post the text, if you prefer), and then someone posts a compilation of links to everyone's posts. Like Nez did here. Which lets you edit out your link later, if you want.

I think I'll actually try this one this time! I've been wanting to join in, but always had something else I needed to work on...

You should! And also, I love your name. I think I may have said this once before, but... if it's from the McKinley book, that's one of my favorites.

Oh damn it, this is an amazing theme. I didn't do the last one even though it should have been hell of easy because I am moving, and now this great theme and I AM STILL MOVING AND ARGH.

I want to do this, we'll see if I manage it.

Cyan

Banned
Oh damn it, this is an amazing theme. I didn't do the last one even though it should have been hell of easy because I am moving, and now this great theme and I AM STILL MOVING AND ARGH.

I want to do this, we'll see if I manage it.

Do it do it do it DO IT!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
You should! And also, I love your name. I think I may have said this once before, but... if it's from the McKinley book, that's one of my favorites.

Yep! It's one of my favorite books too.

Also my real name is very like the name of another main character of hers. One of the reasons I started reading her books, to be honest.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If you want to write something, go ahead! We've had non-native speakers join in before, it's all good.

And no, they're not exactly displayed anywhere. What happens is you post a link to your story, on Dropbox or Google Docs or similar (or just post the text, if you prefer), and then someone posts a compilation of links to everyone's posts. Like Nez did here. Which lets you edit out your link later, if you want.

Hmmm, this is interesting no doubt! Let see if I can whip up something... but I hope no one here is gonna be lambasting me too hard for the quality of my work, hahahaha.

Nezumi

Hmmm, this is interesting no doubt! Let see if I can whip up something... but I hope no one here is gonna be lambasting me too hard for the quality of my work, hahahaha.

As a fellow non-native speaker I can assure you that no one will do this. If there might be some major issues it probably will be pointed out but never have I seen somebody being mocked or anything. Besides, if you feel really unsure just ask if someone here is willing to give your story a quick read before you post it. I'm pretty sure that has happened before, so there is no reason to hold back.

Nezumi

:O

Could've fooled me!

:)
You should hear me speak though. Broadest accent under the sun...

She's German, if I recall.

You recall correctly.

I have no idea what people are talking about with my holiday schedule... I don't feel like I'm cranking out children's stories for our challenges! So that makes it extra weird that that is what comes across!

I think it is more about the fact that when you write stories that could be considered to be children's stories you almost every time nail it. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of Dustbunnies and Seeds as only two examples :)

Man... this word count is tough. I don't know why, but in my head I envision fairy tales being a good bit longer than this. Not sure if I should just knock it out without worrying about length and then trim it down, or if I should remain conscientious about it the whole time as I write.

Mike M

Nick N
I finished the thing I was working on, but I'm still going to sit this one out. The idea I've got in my head that's most developed has been done to death as it is.

Nezumi

Hm, no matter how psyched I am about the theme, I just don't seem to come up with anything useful. I've even unearthed the collection of fairy-tales our class did back in the sixth grade (so back when I was around 11 or so), to maybe find some inspiration in there, but while it was amusing to read all this stuff again it didn't really help.

I'm working on a retelling that's mostly thematically linked to the original, I think, but I don't know if it's going to work out. I have a ridiculous backup idea, possibly.

Cyan

Banned
Hm, no matter how psyched I am about the theme, I just don't seem to come up with anything useful. I've even unearthed the collection of fairy-tales our class did back in the sixth grade (so back when I was around 11 or so), to maybe find some inspiration in there, but while it was amusing to read all this stuff again it didn't really help.

Pick one you like, invert the genders, and see if that results in anything interesting. If not, you can always start writing it anyway, and see if something comes up as you go. ;)

Cyan

Banned
What's the preferred method of submission?

The standard method is a password-protected PDF on Dropbox (or Google Drive), but feel free to do whatever works for you. Plain text in a forum post is perfectly fine if you prefer (though note that since this forum is public, that would count as publication, if you ever want to try to sell your story).

Wrote it on paper with no clue as to the word count and it turned out to be 1616. I wrote in Swedish so we'll see if I have the time to translate it at least somewhat satisfactorily. If I'm lucky, the word count is slightly lower in English.

In the meantime, here's the Swedish version if you know Swedish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom