• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using the DS4 gryos to in BF4 to lean - Dice

Alienous

We heard the same thing early in the PS3 era, with Socom and MGS4.

This isn't going to last long. Hopefully we can use the Touchpad for spotting, though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if they tried gyro for aiming. I like it on Vita.

Or touchpad, even. Touchpad for scope aiming could be really really good.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
64 players and 60 FPS seems pretty awesome to me. Is it the same for Xbone?

Pretty sure they have said it will be 60fps on both consoles by release, as for resolution, well, we don't quite know what they are going to end up with there at this point.

I wonder if they tried gyro for aiming.

It is a shame gyro aiming hasn't been embraced past some Vita games, it works beautifully on those that do it.

Sturm

Banned
We heard the same thing early in the PS3 era, with Socom and MGS4.

This isn't going to last long. Hopefully we can use the Touchpad for spotting, though.

How it touching the touchscreen faster than pressing a button, where your fingers already are.

I really don't understand those 'musts' of using an alternative way of controlling something. The controller buttons are the fastest, always will be. The touching just irritates me.

Danny 117

[off topic]64 players and 60fps will be pretty damn awesome. BF4 is the game I'm picking up along with my Xbox One.

Anyways little features like the gyro to lean are great. I guess leaning to the right/left using kinect on Xbox One will perform the same action? Would be hilarious.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So I was watching this BF4 interview and Dice said they will utilize the Gyro in the DS4 to lean. I'm not sure if I want this but I will use it.

Also there is confirmation of 64players and 60FPS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgnm6RjF09M

It's at the 1:30 mark.

Yep, I wrote about it too the other day based on info we found digging around, but didn't think it was "new thread worthy." :)

For more info,

PS4 Touchpad used for Battlelog UI
R1 (hold) used for console commorose

These came from Sid Shuman at a recent BF4 PS4 hands-on at gamescom.

Additional info (from BF4 live-stream shoutcaster Alex Mendez at gamescom)

Spotting is done via R1 (tap)
Knife is now at circle or R3 (push like in CoD)
DICE said to offer "alternate" control scheme for those who doesn't want to use L2/R2 as triggers

Makes me wonder, how they'll make the button placement intuitive with all the buttons being changed.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Gyro might be better than touchpad for that since its usage wouldn't require to lift the right/left thumb from the right/left stick.

cormack12

Gold Member
How it touching the touchscreen faster than pressing a button, where your fingers already are.

I really don't understand those 'musts' of using an alternative way of controlling something. The controller buttons are the fastest, always will be. The touching just irritates me.

Yep, select button is a bit difficult because of where it is but it's fine in 80% of cases if you use spotting correctly. With a touchpad it would be insanely difficult.

Orayn

Yep, select button is a bit difficult because of where it is but it's fine in 80% of cases if you use spotting correctly. With a touchpad it would be insanely difficult.

The touchpad is in effectively the same position as the select button while being much larger. How is that more difficult to press, assuming it's just being used as a large button?

Oppo

Always seems like a nice idea, but it's really hard to recognize intent.... players tend to do all kinds of crazy things with their bodies without really realizing it.

I like the method where you are holding a button to maintain cover, then use the sticks to definitively "lean" (Killzone wall cover for example).

cormack12

Gold Member
Because it's going to be a stretch to flick your thumb onto that pad.and press down. If it was a small touchpad it might work, but it looks daft having to press down some massive plate just to spot someone. Select button is more manageable although not perfect.

I'd like to see two sensitivity speeds for ADS/scope and hip to be honest.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I like it a lot on Vita. And from the Yoshida demo at gamescom showing text entry with DS4 gyro, it is as sensitive and responsive as the Vita gyro, so should be good for fine tuning aiming

It is so neat what third party developers can do with motion control.

isn't EA and Microsoft in bed? Seems so weird that they keep hyping the ps4 version. I have a sneaking suspicion the xbone version will lack quiet a bit behind the ps4 version.
Or maybe Xbox One controller simply doesn't have a gyroscope lol.

isn't EA and Microsoft in bed? Seems so weird that they keep hyping the ps4 version. I have a sneaking suspicion the xbone version will lack quiet a bit behind the ps4 version.

I think it's more likely that they are trying to make the games equal on both consoles.
The difference will be noticeable on exclusives.

mazillion

Isn't there an auto lean feature as well? Aim down sights on a corner and your player automatically leans around/over the cover. Gyro must be the way to manually lean too

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I like it a lot on Vita. And from the Yoshida demo at gamescom showing text entry with DS4 gyro, it is as sensitive and responsive as the Vita gyro, so should be good for fine tuning aiming
I thought he was using the touchpad for that, not the gyro?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't know if I'm alone on this but I'm not impressed with this at all. Perhaps I should wait for better footage though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Nope, which is unfortunate.

Maybe Kinect can track the orientation of the controller.

I just hope they don't do this (mandatory):

kinect_latencybakx2.gif

brandnew

Like Battlefield 4 leaning when you rotate the controller.
You know, like what they are talking about in the OP.

Oh, are you talking about potential? I can't think of anything that third parites have done with motion control in the past that was really noteworthy.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I would like an option to use gyro for cockpit camera... (yes this is the nine millionth time I've posted the suggestion)

Top Bottom