• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Club - The Voting Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
ibsnYazbQKqLzy.png

I talked to IamMikeside who made the previous Comic Book Club, he said I could take over. Yay! So here we go:

With the many lovers of comics on NeoGAF, it's long overdue that we set up some kind of comic book club.

This is how I think it'll work:

We'll decide on a comic to read by voting between 3 selections (please PM me to get your nomination in!). Everyone will have 1 week to put their votes in, then we'll read and discuss our chosen comic together!

I'm not sure how long is going to be best to give to each read, but I think we should start off with 3 weeks and see how we go from there.

Here are the current nominees

1. Scalped (Vol. 1)

Scalped is a critically acclaimed 60 issue crime/western comic book series written by Jason Aaron and illustrated by R. M. Guéra, published monthly by Vertigo Comics.

The series focuses on the Oglala Lakota inhabitants of the fictional Prairie Rose Indian Reservation in modern-day South Dakota as they grapple with organized crime, rampant poverty, drug addiction and alcoholism, local politics and the preservation of their cultural identity.

2. The Umbrella Academy (Vol. 1 / The Apocalpyse Suite)

Gerard Way, of My Chemical Romance, makes his comics writing debut in this outrageous superhero epic that Grant Morrison called "An ultraviolet psychedelic sherbet bomb of wit and ideas. The superheroes of the 21st century are here at last..." In an inexplicable, worldwide event, forty-seven extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who'd previously shown no signs of pregnancy. Millionaire inventor Reginald Hargreeves adopted seven of the children; when asked why, his only explanation was, "To save the world." These seven children form The Umbrella Academy, a dysfunctional family of superheroes with bizarre powers. Their first adventure at the age of ten pits them against an erratic and deadly Eiffel Tower, piloted by the fearsome zombie-robot Gustave Eiffel. Nearly a decade later, the team disbands, but when Hargreeves unexpectedly dies, these disgruntled siblings reunite just in time to save the world once again.

3. Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds.

Superstar writer Geoff Johns and legendary artist George Perez deliver the Crisis of the 31st century as the Legion of Super- Heroes reaches out for help against a powerful foe they can't beat alone! From the moment Superman landed on Earth until the end of time, the Time Trapper has sought to erase Superman's impact on the universe. But the Legion of Super-Heroes have always been there to stop the relentless villain. Now, one Legion isn't enough as the Time Trapper taps a twisted mirror image of The Boy of Steel from a parallel Earth long dead: Superboy-Prime! Who will answer the Legion's call for help? With ties to INFINITE CRISIS, FINAL CRISIS and the history of the DCU, this tremendous miniseries is not to be missed.

Please post your vote in this thread in bold and I'll count up and decide the winner on Sunday(Oct. 6th) at 12pm PST and we can start reading!

If anybody has any suggestions for improvements, please post them here or PM me and we can work on making this even better.

...we all just read and discuss comics - all comics - together like a big happy family <3

Previous series

I'll go with Chew, since I've wanted to check that out for awhile.

Are we just doing the first trade? Because I don't want to buy seven trades of something I may not like.

Trigger

Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways

Pau

Runaways is the only one of the three that's a "finished" story. The first 18 issues of Runaways form a complete arc. So there's that to keep in mind.

Descriptions from ComiXology. May want to add these to the OP:

Saga:
From New York Times bestselling writer BRIAN K.VAUGHAN (Y: THE LAST MAN, EX MACHINA) and critically acclaimed artist FIONA STAPLES (MYSTERY SOCIETY, NORTH 40), SAGA is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in a sexy, subversive drama for adults. This specially priced volume collects the first arc of the smash hit series The Onion A.V. Club calls "the emotional epic Hollywood wishes it could make."

Runaways: Pride and Joy
Collects Runaways (2003) #1-6.
When six friends discover their parents are all secretly super-villains, they run away from home and straight into the adventure of their lives -- vowing to turn the tables on their evil legacy.

Chew Vol. 1: Taster's Choice:
Tony Chu is a detective with a secret. A weird secret. Tony Chu is Cibopathic, which means he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. It also means he's a hell of a detective, as long as he doesn't mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit, and why. He's been brought on by the Special Crimes Division of the FDA, the most powerful law enforcement agency on the planet, to investigate their strangest, sickest, and most bizarre cases.

Acid08

Banned
We are only reading one volume though, and sagas first volume imo is better than chews.
But there's more to read if you like it! If people want to keep reading and have a longer conversation then Chew or Runaways are the best options.

Messi

But there's more to read if you like it! If people want to keep reading and have a longer conversation then Chew or Runaways are the best options.

Well yes this is true. All 3 are fantastic btw. I am up to date on Saga, finishes vol 3 of Chew and read Pride and Joy have book 2 here also.

Acid08

Banned
Well yes this is true. All 3 are fantastic btw. I am up to date on Saga, finishes vol 3 of Chew and read Pride and Joy have book 2 here also.
Yeah all three are great, can't really go wrong. I'm just a Chew fanboy :lol, it's wonderful.

Messi

Anyway if Saga loses, please try and read it anyway guys. It is great and the first trade is only $9.99 right?

Necrovex

Surprised my initial post didn't go through. Anyway, I have read all of these besides Chew. So, my vote goes to Chew!

Hobobloke

Already read Saga and will probably get around to reading Runaways eventually so I'll vote Chew, I hear good things and could use the motivation.

Tizoc

Glad this is getting another chance!
I'll read whatever gets voted, although I could get a reason to finally read Chew XD.

Mikeside

I'm down for whatever, but I'll vote for Chew, as I haven't read it in a long time :)

Good luck taking over, Godofnerdiness - I know you can be more dedicated than I was!

Parch

All good choices. I'll go with Chew because I haven't read it yet.

I'd also like to suggest these thread allow spoilers and not have the stupid tags. The purpose of a book club is to talk about the book. People getting a bug up their ass because they haven't read it yet defeats the whole purpose of having discussions about the book. It also supresses discussion if people are worried about spoilers. Having 10 pages of "I liked it" and nothing else is a big waste of time.

Tucah

you speak so well
Chew, because I already own it and haven't read it yet :lol

Saga is excellent though, I'd do a reread if that ends up winning.

kswiston

I vote Chew.

Mainly because I have been meaning to read it and have read the other two :p

I'd also like to suggest these thread allow spoilers and not have the stupid tags. The purpose of a book club is to talk about the book. People getting a bug up their ass because they haven't read it yet defeats the whole purpose of having discussions about the book. It also supresses discussion if people are worried about spoilers. Having 10 pages of "I liked it" and nothing else is a big waste of time.

I agree with this. People who haven't read the book of the month yet can just not go in the thread until they do.

tm24

Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways Runaways
The right choice

FYC

Banned
Just a few hours left. Anyone else?

I might be out for a bit today, so feel free to post past the deadline if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom