• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Comic Book Club - Issue #2 - Chew

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
ibsnYazbQKqLzy.png

Welcome to Issue #2 of NeoGAF's very own Comic Book Club!

It was very close, but this time we'll be reading Chew, Volume 1!

The Book

hmbzZ3v.jpg

Tony Chu is a detective with a secret. A weird secret. Tony Chu is Cibopathic, which means he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. It also means he's a hell of a detective, as long as he doesn't mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit, and why. He's been brought on by the Special Crimes Division of the FDA, the most powerful law enforcement agency on the planet, to investigate their strangest, sickest, and most bizarre cases.

Purchase

Comixology
Amazon(US)
Amazon(UK)

The Rules

SPOILERS DO NOT NEED TO BE TAGGED FOR THIS VOLUME.

We're set to read and discuss this book from now until the 6th October. Obviously the thread won't suddenly disappear after that, so if you want to carry on talking about the book beyond October 6th, feel free - but we'll be moving onto the next comic on that date!

Other than that - we've got 3 weeks to dive in and enjoy this, so let's get cracking!

Also! Please note that I will be opening up votes for the next comics at the end of this week in the Voting Thread so everyone has plenty of time to get their hands on the next one.

Happy reading!

kswiston

Was hoping Chew would win. Never realized the Comixology collection was only $6. Will read in the next day or two.

Tizoc

I was only able to read the first issue of Book 1, but I LOVED it!
Great characterization, art was good, writing was fantastic, and despite the blood and squick it was enjoyable, gonna aim to finishing book 1 today if possible, and then jump into the remaining issues/books =D

Tizoc

....and done!
Man Book 1 was some crazy shit!
I ended up liking Savoy but damn that Chicken Flu Epidemic at the end of the book! Will def. try and read up the remaining books in the near future,
but I really enjoyed what I read of Volume 1 =D

FYC

Banned
....and done!
Man Book 1 was some crazy shit!
I ended up liking Savoy but damn that Chicken Flu Epidemic at the end of the book! Will def. try and read up the remaining books in the near future,
but I really enjoyed what I read of Volume 1 =D

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I've been busy playing Wonderful 101 lately but I'll hopefully grab a copy soon.

I finished it yesterday, and liked it so much I ended up also reading Volume 2: International Flavour.

There was a lot to like about the book. I really loved the "This is...." introductions of the characters. Really well handled and didn't feel like exposition for the sake of it. They're slowly building a universe of food-related superpowers and it's awesome.

The art takes a little getting used to coming from mainstream comics where stuff is varied-but-still-similar. Characters have a lot of personality just through their look, which is good comics in my book. I'd love to see it animated some day.

As for the story, it was great. I didn't know about the ban on chicken and the "bird flu" pandemic being in the book. It adds a nice dimension to the universe, almost grounds it a bit more. I didn't see the twist coming at the end, and it sets up future books nicely. Overall, I really enjoyed it and will be ordering the trades.

But seriously, why beets?

Tizoc

I finished it yesterday, and liked it so much I ended up also reading Volume 2: International Flavour.

There was a lot to like about the book. I really loved the "This is...." introductions of the characters. Really well handled and didn't feel like exposition for the sake of it. They're slowly building a universe of food-related superpowers and it's awesome.

The art takes a little getting used to coming from mainstream comics where stuff is varied-but-still-similar. Characters have a lot of personality just through their look, which is good comics in my book. I'd love to see it animated some day.

As for the story, it was great. I didn't know about the ban on chicken and the "bird flu" pandemic being in the book. It adds a nice dimension to the universe, almost grounds it a bit more. I didn't see the twist coming at the end, and it sets up future books nicely. Overall, I really enjoyed it and will be ordering the trades.

Either it was a random thing, or maybe Beets have a bigger role in the story that we as of yet do not know.
Keep reading, Book 3 will introduce you to the greatest character in comicdom.
Oh and I've loved the art since I started reading it, and I agree about the characters, I like just about EVERYONE even Applebee haha.

Acid08

Banned

The art clicked with me right away but, yeah, I can see why it wouldn't with everyone. Guillory really is the only dude who could draw the book, he's so perfect for it. And you said it about the personality of the characters, the art really does capture every emotion the characters are feeling.

Follow Layman on Twitter, he's a trip. Liked this book and plan to read the rest. The fact that acid likes this so much makes part of me not want to though. ;)

Mumei

Oh, hey. I read this earlier this year. I'm not planning on rereading it since I read it so recently, but I am interested in seeing what people think.

About the only thing I can say about Chew is that I like the art. The writing tries to stretch itself over too many places and it doesn't work for me. It's like it tries to go for that sort of silly 'internet humor' vibe, but it also tries to be like a detective/action/mystery sort of affair.

It was enjoyable over all, but I didn't make it to volume 3 before losing interest.

Really wanted to like it, though.

Hobobloke

Finished Volume 1 yesterday and enjoyed it enough to pick up the second today.

First thing that struck me was the distinctive art and I really liked the style, gives a lot of personality to the world and characters within it. Kind of gave me an Aaahh!!! Real Monsters vibe from time to time with the grungy look of some of the characters.

The story is intriguing too, it's obviously a unique concept and I like how the bird flu pandemic adds that extra sense of mystery to the world. Was a bit disappointed how dismissive Chu seemed to be about the whole conspiracy so far especially when Savoy started to talk about it, would've thought he'd be a bit more open to hearing from the guy who saved his life.

I've been following in single issues and I would say if you didn't like the first trade and you have the time and resources give vol. 2 a shot, I think it really picks up there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom