• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 sells 1.6 million copies, ~1.3 million are digital sales.

Felt this deserved it's own thread for the accomplishment. Good job, guys. I have issues with the game but the absolute commitment I've seen from the developers on improving and expanding it has really really impressed me. I am very likely to support Overkill's games in the future.

Congrats.

For reference, the first game sold 700k in a year.

Kade

In Canada, digital was the only way you could get it for a week or two because the games were recalled because the packaging wasn't bilingual.

Median

In Canada, digital was the only way you could get it for a week or two because the games were recalled because the packaging wasn't bilingual.

Oh man, was that why I couldn't find a copy anywhere? Good ol' bilingual packaging laws.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
1.6 millions, of which 1 million digital? Yeah, we need those freaking digital sales trackers.

.GqueB.

Banned
Doesn't surprise me at all. Fucking thing took me a good week to find in stores. I kept not ordering it on Amazon because I figured it would be easy to find.

Grief.exe

Are digital sales included in the monthly npd numbers? If not, are these numbers still worth mentioning?

No. NPD only counts sales from certain retail outlets in America.

For PC sales numbers, we generally have to rely on publishers or developers releasing numbers.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Somewhat well earned. I have been in disagreement with a chunk of the changes they've made and find myself quite annoyed with their refusal to do anything more than try to band-aid a bleeding out workhorse but yet I'm still playing. I love the game, and i'm glad to see it do so well especially considering the near total lack of actual advertising for it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Good to see. I didn't care for the first game, but Payday 2 has sapped away my last few weekends. Very good game.

Square Enix: what a bomba. They were 3.4 million short of real success.

In all seriousness, that's pretty good. Congrats to them.

So to put that into perspective, they've probably made enough money to buy about 10 in-game silencers and take them on and off a few times.

Grief.exe

According to the 'average gamers' I know, it was pretty much impossible to find retail

At Steam, we never run out of copies!™

itOTU5xoUPpAA.gif

shuri

Banned
Just how many missions is there in this game? 4, 5? It's a shame theres so little content. Also the game gets incredibly easy after a while, I randomly joined an overkill level job with dudes who were like level 61 and 81, and they would speedrun the missions never alerting anybody, etc etc.

Grief.exe

Just how many missions is there in this game? 4, 5? It's a shame theres so little content. Also the game gets incredibly easy after a while, I randomly joined an overkill level job with dudes who were like level 61 and 81, and they would speedrun the missions never alerting anybody, etc etc.

Did they support Payday 1 with free content? Or is it all paid DLC?

In the PC space, generally developers make free content for their fans and then are supported through increased sales.

EDIT: Looks like they charged for it http://store.steampowered.com/app/207815/

More maps coming. Don't worry. For free.

kmg90

Oh man, was that why I couldn't find a copy anywhere? Good ol' bilingual packaging laws.

So is that why some games released in the past 4 years have the same text on actually packaging (back cover) in three languages? I live in the US and have seen a few games with multilingual packaging including the platform specific specifications (players, size required, resolutions supported etc)

That's a bit of an exaggeration. The game came out a Tuesday and I bought it Thursday or Friday the same week.

Top Bottom