• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most breathtaking post-rock songs of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Not a single mention of Godspeed You! Black Emperor in the op?

Op you failed...
;)

So basically almost all songs by GY!BE are worth mentioning, but my favourites are Mladic, motherfucker=redeemer and 09-15-00.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Mladic

oEd93Qd.jpg

Cuyejo

Post-Rock? Talk about a vague definition: "Post-rock is a subgenre of rock music characterized by the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock, but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock. "

So, what prog rock bands have been doing since the 70s?

Ultima_5

whats difference of post rock and post punk

Post-Rock? Talk about a vague definition: "Post-rock is a subgenre of rock music characterized by the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock, but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock. "

yah, but no one is going to admit to liking prog

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

But post-rock isn't progressive! it's kind of repetitive actually.

I wouldn't consider that a good definition of prog- rock either

Anyways, this describes post-rock better ( also from wikipedia):
Post-rock compositions often make use of repetition of musical motifs and subtle changes with an extremely wide range of dynamics. In some respects, this is similar to the music of Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Brian Eno, pioneers of minimalism.[24] Typically, post-rock pieces are lengthy and instrumental, containing repetitive build-ups of timbre, dynamics and texture.[2]

Vocals are often omitted from post-rock; however, this does not necessarily mean they are absent entirely. When vocals are included, the use is typically non-traditional: some post-rock bands employ vocals as purely instrumental efforts and incidental to the sound, rather than a more traditional use where "clean", easily-interpretable vocals are important for poetic and lyrical meaning.[4] When present, post-rock vocals are often soft or droning and are typically infrequent or present in irregular intervals. Sigur Rós, a band known for their distinctive vocals, fabricated a language that critics call "Hopelandic" ("Vonlenska" in Icelandic, a term even used by the band), which has been described by the band as "a form of gibberish vocals that fits to the music and acts as another instrument.

Servbot24

Banned
The one that starts with quiet guitars and ends with loud guitars.

But seriously I like Olsen Olsen and Untitled 8 quite a bit.

Cuyejo

I wouldn't consider that a good definition of prog- rock either

Anyways, this describes post-rock better ( also from wikipedia):
Post-rock compositions often make use of repetition of musical motifs and subtle changes with an extremely wide range of dynamics. In some respects, this is similar to the music of Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Brian Eno, pioneers of minimalism.[24] Typically, post-rock pieces are lengthy and instrumental, containing repetitive build-ups of timbre, dynamics and texture.[2]

Vocals are often omitted from post-rock; however, this does not necessarily mean they are absent entirely. When vocals are included, the use is typically non-traditional: some post-rock bands employ vocals as purely instrumental efforts and incidental to the sound, rather than a more traditional use where "clean", easily-interpretable vocals are important for poetic and lyrical meaning.[4] When present, post-rock vocals are often soft or droning and are typically infrequent or present in irregular intervals. Sigur Rós, a band known for their distinctive vocals, fabricated a language that critics call "Hopelandic" ("Vonlenska" in Icelandic, a term even used by the band), which has been described by the band as "a form of gibberish vocals that fits to the music and acts as another instrument.

I know, defining progressive rock is an impossible task, I'm just saying bands in the 70s were already doing it, same with math rock, it's just that back then those styles didn't have a specific name.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This thread is right up my alley, I heard some Explosions in the sky and it was the first i've ever heard of that sound, time to expand my horizons.

AutumnRay

Banned
It couldnt've been 'prog rock' because he used the adjective 'breath taking.'

That is completely ridiculous and borderline imbecilic. King Crimson produced some of the greatest music of the 20th century. Not even up for debate.

Tortoise and Godspeed are up there. I don't even know half the new shit coming out.

Unicorn

akira28

It couldnt've been 'prog rock' because he used the adjective 'breath taking.'

60-70s era prog-rock rules your face.

Never again will you see songs about alien space visitors transition into songs about out of body experiences or wizardry and magical journeys again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom