• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Album of the Year 2016 RESULTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
Here are the albums which received a #1 vote, but didn't get any other votes:

Amon Amarth | Jomsviking
Answer Code Request | Neume
Ariana Grande | Dangerous Woman
Atticus Ross, Leopold Ross & Bobby Krlic | Almost Holy
Black Mountain | IV
Crescendo | Unless
Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked For Death
H. Takahashi | Body Trip
Harakiri For The Sky | III - Trauma
Identity Unknown | Identity Unknown
Jasper Bryne | Ghost Drives
LeBrock | Action & Romance
LONG DISTANCE CALLING | TRIPS
scntfc | Oxenfree OST
Sully Erna | Hometown Life
the HIATUS | Hands of Gravity
The Lumineers | Ophelia
The Northern Lights | Alchemy
The Range | Potential
These Hidden Hands | Vicarious Memories
Tinashe | Nightride
UADA | Devoid of Light
Watsky | x Infinity
Will Long / DJ Sprinkles | Long Trax
William Tyler | Modern Country
Wilson Tanner | 69
Yes We Mystic | Forgiver

H. Takahashi was mine!

Ekai

Amon Amarth | Jomsviking
Black Mountain | IV
Crescendo | Unless
H. Takahashi | Body Trip
scntfc | Oxenfree OST
The Lumineers | Ophelia
The Range | Potential
Tinashe | Nightride
UADA | Devoid of Light
Watsky | x Infinity
Wilson Tanner | 69
Yes We Mystic | Forgiver

H. Takahashi was mine!

Heh, scntfc was mine!

Probs will check out some of the albums listed here and elsewhere.

Xion385

This what Frank gets, GAF? So many people holding L's in that one thread. I mean look at all those L's. Now you get him back and just put him at #3? Salty...
/s

I thought Blonde was a lock for #1. Great album. Self Control is my most listened to track of 2016. I still need to listen to the Bon Iver album. Surprised Starboy ain't there and Awaken My Love isn't higher.

EVOL 100%

Well, 2 of my picks got in the top 5 (Radiohead, Bowie) 1 in the top 100 (Warpaint) and 2 in the top 130 (Xiu Xiu, Autolux)

I guess I gotta go check out some of the albums on the full list

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Happy to see Cult Of Luna and Death Grips representing. Amazing albums. Bummed only a few gaf bros were into my personal fav album of the year Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked for Death but hey I understand how subjective this music thing is. I need to listen to that Tribe album

Davide

too much fat for me, I liked nearly every song on the album but by the midway point it all started to sound the same.

Yeah, it's my no.1 album of the year but I've listened to a few of the songs like "Ordinary Life" maybe twice.

A Weeknd and Daft Punk was actually something I wanted but never expected it to happen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Happy nicolas jaar is top 25. Holla at the 4 other people that repped Jessy Lanza's album!
Word to both. I gave Lanza my top vote, just edging out Bowie. Lanza's fantastic.

Amon Amarth | Jomsviking
Black Mountain | IV
Crescendo | Unless
H. Takahashi | Body Trip
scntfc | Oxenfree OST
The Lumineers | Ophelia
The Range | Potential
Tinashe | Nightride
UADA | Devoid of Light
Watsky | x Infinity
Wilson Tanner | 69
Yes We Mystic | Forgiver

H. Takahashi was mine!
Almost Holy is pretty great, nice for someone to give it attention.

Auctopus

lol at Kanye and Bob Iver scoring anywhere near that high.

Shoutout to the Gaffers who got Japanese Breakfast and Hotelier up there!

RangerX

Banned
I'm surprised at the lack of metal, especially death metal and grindcore, on the list. It was a great year for the genre. Only albums I liked from this list were radiohead and bowie.

NotSelf

No wonder Prefuse 73 got drop by warp records. The kids don't really like his music I guess.

EDIT: Oh my my fault his last works we're released 2015.

Surprised and happy that A Tribe Called Quest was #1. Death Grips, Danny Brown, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, Car Seat Headrest getting represented feels good :D

Steamlord seems like the best GAFer at this with all those comments.

Help me open my ears to new sounds. Haven't listened to any of the top 10 albums but I'm big Radiohead, Kanye and Bowie fan. Where do I start?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Pretty odd list. Then again this forum is mostly plagued by dudes so it's no wonder they have a few weird ones in the top ten. Also apparently if we want music opinions we should talk to Steamlord and Ya Bish.

03 | Japanese Breakfast | Psychopomp
A breathtaking solo release from Michelle Zauner, frontwoman of Little Big League. The production is wonderfully lush and dreamy throughout, and Zauner's knack for writing perfect pop songs will guarantee that pretty much every track will be stuck in your head for days. The album also features an impressive fusion of upbeat danceable pop and more solemn, introspective themes. There's the ridiculously catchy and saccharine "Everybody Wants to Love You," but also the slow and beautiful "Jane Cum," plus tracks that hit somewhere between the two extremes like the gorgeous opener, "In Heaven." The album's heavier themes are infused with a great sense of humor, with "Everybody Wants to Love You" probably being the most obvious example with its playfully crude lyrics. All of these factors come together to create what is pretty much a pop masterpiece.

I was making my way through some of the albums on this list that I hadn't got round to listening to. However, I had absolutely no idea that this had been released. I adored Little Big League. Looks like the rest of the list will have to wait as this will probably be on heavy repeat for a while now.

yagal

slow-clap-gif.gif

God job well done

The last year result are MIA

Pretty odd list. Then again this forum is mostly plagued by dudes so it's no wonder they have a few weird ones in the top ten. Also apparently if we want music opinions we should talk to Steamlord and Ya Bish.

Lol what on earth does this even mean? Ok I'll bite, tell us what the hell this list would look like if this forum was "plagued by" women.

Alpende

ATCQ on number one is great to see. RTJ3 being pretty high is remarkable as well, I'm counting that as a 2017 release. Danny Brown getting high is cool too, really dig that album.

Thanks OP for compiling this list!

I feel like RTJ3 could have ranked higher if it didnt have a stealth digital only release one week before the end of the year. In a weird situation like this where I waited for my physical copy to arrive, is it eligible this year too?

I thought it would be interesting to see what the average score for each album was since these types of lists typically have the most popular stuff rise to the top through the sheer volume of votes they get. I just did a simple mean score for each album and made lists with a minimum number of votes required in order to keep albums with 1 or 2 people raking an album very highly from eclipsing albums with a greater consensus.

I thought 3 was too few votes, but it was interesting to see how many albums had 3 people place them in their top 5, so I left it in. There are different tabs for cutoffs from 3 through 6. I stopped at 6 since it only leaves 49 albums left and already misses out on some highly rated but more niche albums.

Here's the link. Hope you don't mind, OP.

once again disappointing. Dear Hunter got robbed, but I guess I should just accept that the type of music I listen to isn't popular, and never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom