• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Rumble Kickstarter! Throwback to SNK's NGP fighting games! 3DS stretch goal!

Metallix87

Pocket Rumble Kickstarter

Found this, and with four days left and still quite a ways to go, I figured I'd make a thread for it. The game looks very neat, and definitely captures the look of those fighting games on the Neo Geo Pocket. A 3DS stretch goal was recently added, likely hoping to provide a bigger incentive for backing it.

Lhadatt

Hey GAF, let's get this one moving. Three days to go!

1990b6838bd881e3c16903601e6a60cb_large.png

c29d0afd722733d33ccc16114ced1e7e_large.gif

This fighter has some cool play mechanics. All text below is from the Kickstarter:

e0d0c10470b46a4953d7b7cf3cbc39b5_large.png

The input buffering system allow players to easily perform moves on the first possible frame by holding in the appropriate buttons during recovery frames, blockstun, etc. Useful for combos and counterattacks!

80c23ab2af591a71280442fc1c837820_large.png

The frame data bar underneath each player’s health is a visual represenation of the last 30 frames of any character state that removes control from the player (such as attacks, hitstun, and blockstun). Use this tool to punish dangerous moves!

d8a2e8717ae17c301a67d35076759e30_large.png

Each character earns meter in a different way and spends it to perform a different function, each designed to work specifically with their playstyle, as explained below.

a93564474638ad1a8034f0d6260fb7a3_large.png

Players have the option to turn on invisible cursors on the character select screen for double-blind character picking, even in local multiplayer!

Characters:

801fcf4c62fe2266b1999f4e14c637d0_large.png

Tenchi is a well rounded fighter with a powerful projectile and anti-air move. He gains meter like most Capcom games and he uses it to perform a super version of his fireball.

cb6eeeb5cda6d501325b1bc4af83ee13_large.png

Naomi is the primary rushdown character, with specials designed to overwhelm her opponents. She gains meter by charging up (similar to older KoF games) which she can use to perform armored versions of her specials.

6fc5f022ad48b71d795e7d4e2037d1ec_large.png

Quinn is very acrobatic character; he can jump off walls and use his other high mobility moves to get in on enemies. He gains meter for any move that connects, and his meter is used to enter a werewolf form that greatly increases his speed.

18f6656719b92ea8d7309464c91be792_large.png

Parker is a defensive character built around dodges and counters. He steals meter from other characters on grab, which he can use to call in assists.

8d33cdac7955266bfe2b25c03e2f1e06_large.png

June is the pure zoner of the game. She gains meter by knocking gems out of her opponent (similar to Pocket Fighter minus the random elements) and collecting them. Using her meter, she is able to enter a high mobility mode which allows her to float freely around the stage and set traps for the opponent.

f2341b220e50cc13b581948fdf6de75a_large.png

Keiko's special moves issue commands to her demon cat Snowball. She gains meter steadily over time and uses it to perform a Burst for getting out of tight situations, styled after Arc System Works games.

49968f0f827f0df4f62f29b9cf91505c_large.png

Hector is based on characters from The Last Blade and Samurai Shodown, with sword attacks that have long reach. He gains meter when his attacks are blocked, and with full meter his next blocked attack is a guard crush that stuns the opponent.

53f30a17a574ce1c567b58fa47c0f0b6_large.png

Subject 11 is a grappler; she has multiple command throws and the ability to draw the opponent in using her psychokinesis. She gains meter any time she blocks an attack, but it returns to zero on knockdown. Her meter proportionally adds damage to her command grab.

And some community favorites:

418998ab73eda1f0557d3d3b8596d655_large.png

Geiger from Sirlin Games' Fantasy Strike has joined the Pocket Rumble roster! Geiger uses his meter to manipulate time in his favor, and will be fully playable in all modes!

cc2fc4cdc02eac64183e18431f26a8f2_large.png

Kick from One True Game Studios' Divekick will appear as a special boss!

Lhadatt

3 days left and it's not even close. Needs more publicity or something
That's the point about now. Let's see if we can push, yeah? Cross-post to your favorite haunts, send in tips to the enthusiast press, Facebook it, tweet it, whatevs. If you like it, push. Maybe these guys can at least get a semester off to finish the game.

DMG-01

I'm conflicted here. I'm not a fighting game fan other than DK and SSB, I've been having trouble recently finding justification enough to plop down money for video games on a whim, the developers mispronounce two of their characters' names (Naomi and Keiko), I didn't even know what the NGPC looks like before today, and this probably won't get funded.

That said, I'm pretty nostalgic over all things 8 bit (or close enough), I enjoyed the quote on the KS page from Keits, the simplicity angle has me interested, Kick is in the game, they said in an interview here that there's a character with something like a Stand (and I love me some JoJo), and I think I want this game to exist. Although I must admit that I'd be scared to play it since it could feasibly serve as a bridge between DK and full-on, combos and millions of moves fighting games.

So despite my reservations, I'll probably drop $50 on it sometime tomorrow. #420hashtagyoloswag #badwithmoney

Any chance that this game'll get made even if it fails to get KS'd?

I hadn't heard of this before, but alright... backed. Who knows if it'll be good, but it looks interesting. (Those sprites have more colors than real NGPC sprites though... the NGPC can only do three colors per sprite (usually black, white, and one other), but those have 4-6 each. They're close, but the NGPC was extremely restrictive on how many colors can be in a sprite... it was one of its few flaws, I think.) I know that this isn't trying to actually run on NGPC hardware though, just look like something from the system, so that's okay.

Top Bottom