• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGS: Sony Aiming to Sell 5 Million PS4s by March 2014

Loudninja

Sony Computer Entertainment President Andrew House has announced Sony aims to sell five million PlayStation 4 consoles in 2013 during his speech at Sony's Tokyo Game Show 2013 keynote conference.

President of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment Shuhei Yoshida clarified on Twitter that House meant during fiscal 2013, meaning by March 2014.

Last week Sony Computer Entertainment America boss Jack Tretton revealed the company would be holding back some PS4 stock to make sure consoles would be available throughout the holiday season.

"We can pre-sell every unit we can manufacture, and the good news is that production yields have been phenomenal," said Tretton. "We're going to work very hard to make sure that every consumer that wants one gets one."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/19/tgs-sony-aiming-to-sell-5-million-ps4s-by-march-2014

Dukey

Banned
Half a million more than the projection Nintendo set for the Wii U for the exact same time period last/this year.

tipoo

Banned
Optimistic. But, the PS4 has so much positive attention around it, plus its lower starting price than the PS3. It may happen.

guek

Banned
I dunno if they'll hit that by March but we'll see. Personally I'm expecting about 8 mil in its first year

Half a million more than the projection Nintendo set for the Wii U for the exact same time period last/this year.
Yep. I think that's pretty optimistic but I guess it's not a target if it's an easy number to hit. It's going to be nuts if surpass Wii U's LTD in just a few months.

Minions

I could see at least 3 million. Each launch is going to sell around 1 million, North America / Asia / Japan = 3 million. North America may continue buying consoles so 5 million is not completely out of the realm of possibility. It is a high goal I'd say, 3~ million+ would be realistic.

Mandoric

Banned
PS3 was around 3.5m in the same window, at $100-$200 more, in NA/JP rather than NA/EU, and with the X360 and Wii in full swing.

The switch to EU alone should nearly make up the difference, never mind the JP launch in late Feb adding 500k-1m on. This is the kind of target made to be beaten and then crowed about.

Oh this is for the fiscal year? That's slightly more likely. They actually might do it, considering it'll also include the Japanese launch.

Some Nobody

Yep. I think that's pretty optimistic but I guess it's not a target if it's an easy number to hit. It's going to be nuts if surpass Wii U's LTD in just a few months.

Gotta happen. It's the PS4, and the Wii U still has so few games that grab people's attention.

I could see at least 3 million. Each launch is going to sell around 1 million, North America / Asia / Japan = 3 million. North America may continue buying consoles so 5 million is not completely out of the realm of possibility. It is a high goal I'd say, 3~ million+ would be realistic.

1M in Japan? i don't think so

kswiston

These are of course shipment targets.

That said, Wii shipped 5.84M units during its first two quarters, so 5M wouldn't be a record breaking pace or anything. Especially if Sony has a larger holiday shipment. Nintendo was only able to get 3.2M consoles out by the end of 2006. They would have been way over 6M by Mar 31, 2007 if they had the stock.

That said, Wii shipped 5.84M units during its first two quarters, so 5M wouldn't be a record breaking pace or anything. Especially if Sony has a larger holiday shipment. Nintendo was only able to get 3.2M consoles out by the end of 2006.

The difference is that that thw Wii was an upclocked gamecube and the PS4 is brand nee hardware and much more difficult to manufacture.

Sakura

That's quite a bit. The 360 only did 900k total in the US after first two months, and that is launch month plus December. I have a hard time seeing PS4 do a million a month WW, especially when it isn't even out in Japan until February.

Edit:I guess if it is only shipment then that is more feasible. Still seems difficult though with no Japan till February.

They will likely hit it, the point of projections is to make it more than realistic to make themselves look better when they actually do predictably achieve it

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
i think that is a realistic projection tbh. They will have 2 million preorders, and they just need to sell a million a month on average after launch to make that target. They are also launching worldwide before the end of the year sans Japan.

Road

That said, Wii shipped 5.84M units during its first two quarters, so 5M wouldn't be a record breaking pace or anything. Especially if Sony has a larger holiday shipment. Nintendo was only able to get 3.2M consoles out by the end of 2006. They would have been way over 6M by Mar 31, 2007 if they had the stock.

Nintendo shipped 2 million Wii to Japan in that time-frame, however, while I'll be surprised if PS4 shipments to that country are over 500k by the end of March.

That said, the only reason I think Sony still has more than 0% chance of hitting 5 million shipped is that they are releasing in other regions as well, such as Latin America, which means more retailer shelves and storehouses to have PS4 collecting dust.

hatchx

Banned
I feel like PS4 can do it with its insane amount of hype.

I see it on the Internet and that's it. It's not nearly as hyped as ps2 or ps3 were. With GTAV and all the other current gen games coming, I actually don't have a single real life friend getting a ps4.

I'm not trying to spread doom, I just think 5 million is a little bit reaching when it's coming out next to stiff competition in a shrinking market and it's not even launching in Asia until feb.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm not trying to spread doom, I just think 5 million is a little bit reaching when it's coming out next to stiff competition in a shrinking market and it's not even launching in Asia until feb.

Granted the console market in Asia ( Singapore, Malaysia, Korea, Taiwan etc ) are relatively much smaller, PS4 is still coming on December 2013. Think you miss the news.

I see it on the Internet and that's it. It's not nearly as hyped as ps2 or ps3 were. With GTAV and all the other current gen games coming, I actually don't have a single real life friend getting a ps4.

Asia is getting it in December. Japan gets it in February.

Top Bottom