• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Unmasked |OT| WBIE regards Europe as "tier 1"

Shiggy

scribblenautsunmaskednmdqq.png

Publisher: Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment
Developer: 5th Cell Media
Releasedate: September 24th (Europe/NA)*
Platforms: Wii U($59.99), 2DS ($39.99), PC ($35.99)
Languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese
*European Wii U and 2DS versions will arrive in 2014 as Nintendo will release Scribblenauts Unlimited on December 5, 2013 first.

In Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure, Maxwell unites with Batman™, Superman™ and the rest of The Justice League™ to restore order to the DC Comics Universe.

Challenge your imagination as you battle the mightiest villains in an exciting, action-filled adventure through GOTHAM CITY™, METROPOLIS™, ATLANTIS™ and other iconic locales from the DC Comics Universe. Bring out your inner super hero (or villain!) with the all-new Hero Creator by crafting completely original objects out of parts of existing DC Comics characters. Then assign unique properties to your creations and use them to solve puzzles, or share them online with friends – which they can use in game or further modify as they like.

Key Features
- The DC Comics Universe: Summon thousands of your favorite DC Comics characters and objects - all drawn in the unique Scribblenauts art style!
- Heroic Feats: Enjoy addictive replayability with new, dynamic puzzles that continuously generate different missions every time you play it.
- The Hero Creator: Create, edit and share your own personalized super hero or villain by using parts of existing objects from the expansive DC Comics universe. How will your Wonder Joker stack up against your friend’s Bat Bain?
- Introducing the Batcomputer: Need help looking for that perfect object to summon? Reference the in-game encyclopedia that lists the names and description of every object from the DC Comics universe.

Platform specific remarks:
2DS/3DS: While it lacks the Hero Creator, has offers 3DS’ Street Pass functionality to see all of the creative solutions to puzzles used by other players.
Wii U: Adds Sidekick Mode - Play with a friend! Drop in using a Wii Remote and take control of any object in game.

Screenshots: More

Trailers:
Scribblenauts Harlem Shake
Announcement Trailer
Hero Creator Trailer

Steam offers 25% discount for users who own Scribblenauts Unlimited. Does this game also offer full Steam Workshop functionality again?

And why is nobody talking about this game? Couldn't even find any reviews.

FYC

Banned
I'm excited, though I can't pick it up for a while because money. But it looks good! I still haven't played Unlimited though.

bryanee

I cannot fucking believe I'm being made to wait until next year because they ballsed up the release of the last game here in the EU.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
*European Wii U and 2DS versions will arrive in 2014 as Nintendo will release Scribblenauts Unlimited on December 5, 2013 first.

Wow, this is amazing. Instead of releasing a pack with both Unmasked and Unlimited they postpone the Unmasked to 2014 and sell both at full price months later? What kind of sorcery is this?

They will be fine without my money, I will be fine without their games, everyone will be happy.

Just a reminder for Europeans wanting the Nintendo system versions that this, like Unlimited, is releasing on time in Australia and so can be imported from here if you don't want to wait.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Shame Unmasked doesn't have Nintendo characters. Would have been the perfect opportunity to include Wonder Red and the TW101 cast.

Shiggy

Never been so confused by the information in an OT in all my time on GAF.

Nintendo of Europe has delayed last year's Scribblenauts Unlimited until December. That's why Scribblenauts Unmasked will release only on PC in Europe in 2013 - probably due to contractual obligations with Nintendo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'll buy unlimited for wiiu in december. at this point I hope they'll wait some months to release this over here

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam offers 25% discount for users who own Scribblenauts Unlimited. Does this game also offer full Steam Workshop functionality again?

The 25% is added to the 10% pre-purchase discount, so the game is actually 35% off for such users. Also, yes, Steam Workshop is listed among the supported Steamworks features.

Shiggy

The 25% is added to the 10% pre-purchase discount, so the game is actually 35% off for such users. Also, yes, Steam Workshop is listed among the supported Steamworks features.

I already wondered why it showed a 35% discount for me ;)
Interestingly, you even get the discount if you didn't buy Unlimited on Steam.

Why don't they just bundle Unmasked and Unlimited for the European market? Might as well..

Money. Also, Unmasked for Wii U and 3DS won't be published by NoE I think.

shaowebb

I will find The Ray from the 90's and I will use him for EVERYTHING. Point values be damned I have waited 20 years for that character to be in a game in any form. Raymond Terrell is my bro.

Santiako

Can't wait for this, even if i was dissapointed with the last game.

btw, you don't need to write 2DS/3DS every time, just write 3DS.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Did anyone ever find out why Europe had to wait so long for the Wii U version of Scribblenauts Unlimited?

The long wait kinda killed my interest in the game.

Chairhome

Mildly interested: are the characters from the Teen Titans animated series in this?

They worked hard to put almost every conceivable DC character in this, so I'm pretty sure TT are a safe bet.

Just saw the cheap PC prices, might just do that since I was going to wait for a price drop on the Wii U version.

shaowebb

If you're on PC expect to see me uploading stuff. Check out my Scribblenauts Unlimited catalog of uploads for an idea of things I'll be improving upon for this game.

Not certain if Unmasked has a Steam Workshop up and running yet though or if it will share Unlimited's or what. Here's hoping its workshop capable though...I have plans for things I want to share with folks here.

codhand

Game Informer 7/10
I enjoyed Scribblenauts Unmasked's encyclopedic exploration of DC's universe. Many of the puzzle challenges are also quite clever in their design and solutions. I just wish the heroes and villains would put aside their differences. In most cases, when they come to blows, the experience turns into a bothersome mess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Joker description seems a bit of a tonal conflict there, lol

I'll probably end up buying this reflexively cause Scribblenauts and I <3 each other

shaowebb

To use object editor you see alfred now. Its called Hero creator but works the same. To unlock powers to attach to any avatar costumes you create you need to earn rep points to spend on powers. Also rep points are how you buy areas to play in this game and they come in 3 types.

Looks like I'll be grinding out some stuff, but expect me to have some cool things soon.

Biggest change?
If you reuse ANY words an icon will pop up showing you only get 50% rep if you cheese it so the challenge of staying fresh from the first games is back baby!

Also Mr. Myxzplyx is jealous of Maxwell and appears in levels to add challenges. You can either accept or ignore those challenges but if you accept them and manage to solve the puzzles under whatever restrictions he places on you he will award you DOUBLE rep!

Game is gooooooooooood.

I had SO MUCH fun working as an artist on this game. Made me a big DC fan and also discover some obscure really interesting characters.

So to people that have the game, how are the bios written for the more... let's says censorable characters? Like the Section 8 guys. Are they even in the game?

Promise kept.
EujOnEU.jpg

So happy to see people happy! :D I drew that character :)

Mildly interested: are the characters from the Teen Titans animated series in this?

Not the TV series versions mind you, but all of them (new 52 and original/famous alts) are in the game. Some of the original alts are very similar to the cartoon counterparts and I even saw in the official Scribblenauts facebook page referencing them and trying to create the animated version ones (giving Raven grey skin for example).

shaowebb

I had SO MUCH fun working as an artist on this game. Made me a big DC fan and also discover some obscure really interesting characters.

So to people that have the game, how are the bios written for the more... let's says censorable characters? Like the Section 8 guys. Are they even in the game?

Thank you for this. I waited 20 years to play as this version of The Ray. Also double thank you for leaving out Lucien Gates Ray. No one liked him. You guys are awesome.

Gimmie a moment and I'll check for section 8.

...nope. No Bueno Excellente, no Defenestrator...nothing. Sorry. :C

Also as for the bios they use words like "defeated" and such and dont talk about gruesome stuff.They tend to put things like "enemy of" over "decapitated the girlfriend of..." in the descriptions.

shaowebb

Good times. Every single time I re-enter a city new and random crimes and puzzles appear to thwart. Many involve rapdily running through words to try and stop attacking enemies. I got hit with 4 undead superheroes and one was Dr fate who would NOT go down easy. Took forever to do and you dont want to resort to reusing words to stay alive. Plus it didn't want me to use invincibility or no points at all would be rewarded. Great stuff.

Also there are some easter egg missions. Some dude asked me to help him beat a game and when I touched his ipad to interact this is what happened.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594764032200485322/74A8BC8B86944ED9758DD7CE3E9CECA5F5EE2C19/

...whole world went gameboy 4 bit on me and I had to locate coins. Fun stuff.

Also it was fun showing up and getting into a fight vs Kryptonian Lex Luthor while riding atop Shazam who was riding Shazam while using the Lasso of Truth. I summoned this to end things.

Dont mess with me lol.

Go buy this game folks its FAR more challenging rewarding than its past 2 iterations. Levels are large, fandom is through the roof, tons of challenges, the reputation system makes it worth your while to push yourself to be more creative without making things impossible and you still get all the joys of creation.

If you have any imagination and thrill at discovery in you go play this game.

JazzmanZ

Not the TV series versions mind you, but all of them (new 52 and original/famous alts) are in the game. Some of the original alts are very similar to the cartoon counterparts and I even saw in the official Scribblenauts facebook page referencing them and trying to create the animated version ones (giving Raven grey skin for example).
I remember you, how come you had a bunch of post deleted during the initial announcement of the game? I remember when you confirmed Mazing man and whatnot.

Top Bottom