• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Simpsons permanently damage Arby's brand image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Almost every time I go to Arby's or say I'm going to Arby's, someone puts on a strangled sounding voice and says "I'm so hungry I could eat at Arby's!" Thereafter, that person will then tell me how Arby's is disgusting and how no one should ever eat there. It's crazy because the original episode in which Terri/Sherri says this aired in 1998, but people still say this practically every time I eat there.

How much money has Arby's lost over the past 15 years as a result of this insidious negative sentiment about their franchise? I'm curious as to whether that single comment actually caused damage to Arby's business since so many people still remember that (negative) quote.

And seriously, its dumb. Arby's is awesome, particularly if you load up on horseradish. Why is it that Taco Bell, which is far worse, gets to be the winner of the Franchise Wars, but good 'ol Arby's gets dragged through the mud?

(trivia: Arby's = R.B.'s = Roast Beef.)

(double secret trivia: it doesn't really, that's just a joke based on a common myth. It stands for the initials of the founders.)

DarkKyo

5ChdSIQ.jpg

jadedm17

Doubtful, I think you're over-thinking this.

Homer Simpson: Now, what do you have to wash that awful taste out of my mouth?
Khlav Kalesh Guy: Mountain Dew or Crab Juice.
Homer Simpson: Blecch! Ew! Sheesh! I'll take a crab juice.
They're jokes.

geebee

Banned
The term "roast beef pussy" damaged Arby's reputation. I can't eat those sandwiches anymore after hearing that.

LQX

Had no idea there was Simpsons, Arby's connection until this thread. I bet most people share that sentiment.

Into

Perhaps but they did improve the brand image of khlav kalash

To answer your topic, we dont have Arby's here in Europe, ive never seen that place here. In any country ive been in.

Reallink

Only things I ever liked at Arby's were their Loaded Potato Bites and Strawberry Shakes...both of which they've gotten rid of.

Dishwalla

Banned
There was another jab at Arby's in an episode from the Al Jean era; Marge says "People do lots of crazy things on TV, like eat at Arby's".

Personally it hasn't affected me, since I enjoy the occasional Arby's trip, just not the roast beef.

akira28

Yes, let's hire only adults with degrees.
image.php

Hire people who are at least capable of feeling shame at not doing a good job. Hire people who can at least fully cook a batch of curly fries so they aren't greasy and soggy. High school kids don't give a fuck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OP's note: Before the nerd squad invades to point out truthfacts, please note that the R.B. thing is just a joke' it actually stands for R.B., but I think its coincidental that it's the same as Roast Beef. I think its some guy's name.

notworksafe

Arby's was founded in Boardman, Ohio, in 1964 by Forrest and Leroy Raffel, owners of a restaurant equipment business who believed there was a market opportunity for a fast food franchise based on a food other than hamburgers. The brothers wanted to call their restaurants "Big Tex", but that name was already used by an Akron business. Instead, they chose the name "Arby's", based on R. B., the initials of Raffel Brothers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arby's

Sorry :(

Koomaster

Had no idea there was Simpsons, Arby's connection until this thread. I bet most people share that sentiment.
Yeah I forgot about that quote till this thread. Good job ruining Arby's brand image OP; I'm never eating there again.

WedgeX

Banned
I do think "eewwwwwww, Arbys!" Every time I hear the name.

But, I've been. They've earned the rep. Fast food roast beef just hasn't worked.

"It's Good Mood Food!"

Fuck you Arby's, I'm never eating at your piece of shit establishment if that's what passes as a good idea in your marketing department.

JDSN

Banned
Any particular reason why The Daily Show has been going hard at Arby's, theres been to jokes about them in less than a month.

ampere

Cool, never knew about that.

I barely remember that Simpson's episode so I have no idea. Interesting possibility, but lots of shows have made fun of X restaurant. Like "Chipot-away" in South Park for your undergarmets after eating at Chipotle. I still go to Chipotle all the time, it's not unhealthy for "fast food" anyway

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yeah I don't understand the weird hate for Arby's other than it being way overpriced the last time I went there which was like 10 years ago. By fast food standards it's pretty good, certainly far superior to Taco Hell. If their prices have stayed constant relative to fast food price inflation, they must be at like 12 dollar value meals by now.

Can somebody who eats fast food give me the lowdown on Arby's prices?

Dead

well not really...yet
I always remember that quote from the Simpsons too.

I never got the hate for Arby's. I haven't had it in over a year tho

Dali

It's not just that one episode. Arby's has been a running joke on Simpsons. And funnily enough I actually do think of all the jabs they've taken every time I see Arby's or someone mentions it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom