• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins, Watch_Dogs, and AC4: Black Flag game and tech details

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Took some notes from the presentation. Not much, but whatever. Unfortunately Ubisoft insisted cameras be turned off during Watch_Dogs, and for a small part of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, so I was relying off the presenter.

Batman: Arkham Origins

GAME
- City around twice the size of Arkham City. Two major parts connected by the bridge.
- Call in Batwing to automatically take you to the Batcave, as well as fast travel across the map.
- Interact with the Batcave: speak to Alfred, use workbench to collect gadgets, find Easter Eggs.
- Batcave has a "training gym". Aimed at showcasing the combat system to players who didn't fully appreciate it in previous Batman games. Lets you compete in challenges, rewarding with XP to upgrade Batman.
- Cops an enemy along with thugs.
- Encounter grading (eg: A = Legendary Vigilante).
- "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" analogy used to describe Batman's aggression in Origins.
- Barbara Gordon plays an important role in the plot.

NVIDIA TECH
- Deformable snow, as you move through it (eg: footprints, rolls). Depth of imprints different based on where snow has fallen.
- Particle physics for falling snow.
- Lots of tech put into physics, tessellation, and lighting on the cape.
- Turbulence from punches, and motion of the cape, shapes the motion of particle physics (eg: snow and smoke).

Watch_Dogs

GAME
- Visit weapon shop to collect equipment. Assortment of weapons: silenced pistols, sub machine guns, AK47, grenade launchers, etc.
- Can use in-game phone to integrate songs you've collected into your car playlist.
- Hack steam pipes to cause explosions. Hack bridge to raise/lower them.
- Swimming.
- City mapped with many shortcuts for you to hack and use in escapes.
- Can "mark" enemies to better see them.

NVIDIA TECH
- Bzzt. Not discussed.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

GAME
- Biggest game map for the series so far.
- Seamless transition between land and sea. No loading for most island. Larger cities will require loading.
- Production has gone smoothly.
- Showed tech demo that was originally used internally to demonstrate to executives what Black Flag can accomplish on next generation hardware.

NEXT GEN TECH (PC + Xbox One + PlayStation 4)
- All tech built on PC first. Side-by-side slides of next gen vs current gen.
- Dynamic foliage: far denser foliage rendered a longer distance.
- Rain/Wet Surfaces: 3D rain, particles independently lit. Puddles created as it rains. Rain moves with wind.
- Parallax Occlusion: Smooths objects.
- Screen Space Reflections: Full reflections on surfaces, like the ocean.
- Volumetric Fog: Fog rendered through locations, impacted by lighting.
- Lighted particles: Smoke from cannon fire lit up over distance, such as ships battling at night.
- High Resolution textures.
- HBAO.
- Improved shadows, motion blur, DOF, lens flairs, god rays, etc.

PC ONLY TECH
- HBAO+
- Improved soft shadows.
- MSAA, TXAA.
- Improved God Rays.
- 4K Resolution.

What I really want to know is if there will really be 4K textures and can they be forced on at lower resolutions if there is more texture detail in them.

As an AMD fan, these bull shit exclusive features piss me off. I tried playing Mirrors Edge on 5850 back in the day with physx and it ran at 15 fps :(

Phil4000

During the presentation the Ubisoft rep also confirmed that console versions this time around are ports of the PC version due to the similar hardware architecture this generation.

Squishy3

Pretty excited for Arkham Origins again after watching that demo. Combat looks as good as it did in any of the other games. It's really a shame everyone kind of writes off that feature because of the fact there are icons for when to counter. It feels so smooth. I hope the ability to turn them off isn't relegated to NG+ again though.

Phil4000

Pretty excited for Arkham Origins again after watching that demo. Combat looks as good as it did in any of the other games. It's really a shame everyone kind of writes off that feature because of the fact there are icons for when to counter. It feels so smooth. I hope the ability to turn them off isn't relegated to NG+ again though.

Ya, I was quite impressed with what they showed of Origins, looked as impressive visually as many of the next-gen launch titles.

Tyrael

I hope the PC version of Arkham Origins don't have the same horrible stuttering that plaged the PC version of Arkham City.

Nethaniah

I hope the PC version of Arkham Origins don't have the same horrible stuttering that plaged the PC version of Arkham City.

Exactly, all of these anouncements regarding the tech in this game are useless if the DX11 version is gonna be just as terrible.

Come to think of it, is it DX11 exclusive? If so we might be fucked either way.

Brizzo24

I'm not going to be purchasing Batman, but I do really want to play it. Guess I'll RedBox it when it's readily available.

November = Too many games!

Arulan

Were they labeled individually, or just current vs nextgen?

They showed off separate effects and features, each with a comparison screenshot labeled "current-gen", "next-gen", and "PC" (for certain ones). I assume that is what you meant by labeled individually.

Exile550

During the presentation the Ubisoft rep also confirmed that console versions this time around are ports of the PC version due to the similar hardware architecture this generation.

That is awesome. Looking forward in seeing this more this gen.

Squishy3

Ya, I was quite impressed with what they showed of Origins, looked as impressive visually as many of the next-gen launch titles.
Arkham City was really impressive too, even on consoles. This just looks to be taking it a little bit higher with a bigger world, and there might be even bigger encounters than stuff like the initial courthouse fight in AC.

I'm not going to be purchasing Batman, but I do really want to play it. Guess I'll RedBox it when it's readily available.

November = Too many games!

its like 20ish bucks on ebay because nvidia cards come with a code and people selling.

Thats as 'steam sale' price as it gets unless you wait a year.

OM9mYCO.png

Was the demo 1080p or 4k?

I really hope it's better also. That game seemed just about impossible to get at a rock solid 60FPS.

malfcn

They showed off separate effects and features, each with a comparison screenshot labeled "current-gen", "next-gen", and "PC" for certain ones. I assume that is what you meant by labeled individually.

Or PC vs. Xbox vx. PS.
But That probably won't happen until everything is on the shelves and gamers compare them.

Derrick01

Banned

People were writing the game off for that? The counter icon's been in the other two games too. If anything people assume it'll be bad because Rocksteady's not making it, because apparently it's too hard to copy the framework that they left behind. I would have put more stock into the maker of Hulk and Prototype for an open world game than I would have with Rocksteady before Batman AA came out.

Mogwai

I'm really hoping that Arkham Origins is less stuttery than Arkham City. I'll be sad if Origins is dragged down by that lame Unreal engine again :(

Phil4000

They also announced Nvidia exclusive effects for Star Citizen and Project Cars!!!
http://physxinfo.com/news/11822/sta...clude-gpu-accelerated-physx-and-apex-effects/

citizen.jpg

Star Citizen: (Nvidia Exclusive effects)
- Physx
- HBAO+
- TXAA

cars.jpg

Project Cars (Nvidia Exclusive effects)
- Physx

Also lets not forget about The Witcher 3 which has been confirmed to use Physx as well although little else is known
Just found this though on the geforce comments: "Witcher 3 has a ton of NVIDIA tech already, don't worry :)" Andrew Burnes Admin

Jesus, why the hell would I ever consider an AMD gpu with all these exclusives...

Nokterian

TXAA...ugh one of the worst possible 'visuals' next to FXAA seeing TXAA it looks like vaseline is everwhere on the screen.

Squishy3

People were writing the game off for that? The counter icon's been in the other two games too. If anything people assume it'll be bad because Rocksteady's not making it, because apparently it's too hard to copy the framework that they left behind. I would have put more stock into the maker of Hulk and Prototype for an open world game than I would have with Rocksteady before Batman AA came out.
There's some people I've talked to that believe the combat is "Press Y to win." Sure, you can play the game like that, but it's boring as fuck and will take forever to actually knock anybody out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Watch_Dogs presentation was a nothingness, even with the cameras turned off. It was mostly a demo that had apparently leaked onto the net from an prior presentation, with some changes. They didn't really talk about any new gameplay features, and from the sound of things didn't show any either. Didn't discuss the tech at all.

Batman: Arkham Origins looked really nice to me. Obviously very similar to Arkham City in gameplay and structure, but the graphics looked really impressive, especially all the snow and the soft shadows. Arkam City was a looker, but also had a ton of neon ligthing. This seemed to have a lot less.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was mostly just tech talk. The comparison slides were between current gen and next gen. They made a big point of that much of the tech used in the PC build will also be on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, because they want the game to be able to visually compete with other next gen games. It looks really nice and certainly a leap over the standard, current gen build. The PC improvements were smaller things like nicer shadows and the HBAO+, but they do look good, and they showed comparison slides between the "next gen" builds and the PC maxed out build. I'm not sure how much of the early, internal tech video will make it into the game, but the faces looked VERY impressive when in contact with rain.

- Turbulence from punches, and motion of the cape, shapes the motion of particle physics (eg: snow and smoke).

What an age we live in.

How do you even calculate (or whatever it is they are doing) something like the turbulence from punches?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
FYI, unless it's GPU PhysX or TXAA, the tech will work on all PCs. Being developed by NVIDIA for NVIDIA GPUs, it'll obviously work faster on GeForce GPUs. Tony showed a slide about this during his presentation, if someone wishes to fish it out of the stream archive.

Monooboe

Pretty happy that I just got the 780gtx.:D

By the way, what the hell does "4K Enhanced" actually mean? That resolution was possible before but now it's enhanced somehow in those games?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Pretty happy that I just got the 780gtx.:D

By the way, what the hell does "4K Enhanced" actually mean? That resolution was possible before but now it's enhanced somehow in those games?

Depends on the game, but can mean higher-res assets, 3840x2160 natively supported, or other stuff yet to be revealed.

I played both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City on my PS3. But I recently built a new Haswel PC with two 670s in SLI mode. How good were the PC ports of AA and AC? Should I consider getting Origins on PC?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I played both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City on my PS3. But I recently built a new Haswel PC with two 670s in SLI mode. How good were the PC ports of AA and AC? Should I consider getting Origins on PC?

I've been enjoying Origins greatly on my PC, and with that setup you should easily be able to max out all the settings. Could probably do some downsampling, too.

Yeah they were great ports, their only flaw was GFWL requirements that got patched out recently.

Nethaniah

City is unplayable in DX11, play in DX9 and you're fine.

I've been enjoying Origins greatly on my PC, and with that setup you should easily be able to max out all the settings. Could probably do some downsampling, too.

Yeah they were great ports, their only flaw was GFWL requirements that got patched out recently.

City is unplayable in DX11, play in DX9 and you're fine.

Thanks! I'll get the PC version if the reviews pan out well for the game.

Top Bottom