• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Need For Speed: Rivals framerate on PC in unrestricted (60 fps is possible)

UPDATE:

It's 30 fps after all... http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Need-...ivals-30-Fps-Lock-PC-erste-PC-Bilder-1097820/

Machine translation:

As we now know from first hand, Electronic Arts also provides the PC version of Need for Speed​​: Rivals for a 30-FPS limiter. A real sense of speed is not so - even if the frame rate remains constant. As it is with the appearance of the PC version, we show in two downsampling screenshots.

Also the graphics are kinda disappointing:

But next-gen looks different. The graphics remains comparatively muddy despite maximum details and downsampling to 3,840 times 2,400 image Punken .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Original post:

New thread for new news: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87273400&postcount=261

VVV has posted almost 30 minutes of direct feed PC footage. Part 1 here: http://youtu.be/4PmzsfMOHVk

Wait a second. At 1:20 he says the framerate is unrestricted and you'll get 60 frames with a good PC. That's news to me. My guess is he doesn't know what he's talking about but maybe someone at EA woke up?

http://youtu.be/4PmzsfMOHVk?t=7m31s

Is it just me or is that road sign dripping from the rain that has let up? That is crazy!

Also, he mentioned the PC version framerate being unlocked, not sure if that is known.

edit: Transcript

This is the PC version which is unrestricted on framerate so no doubt if you have a powerful rig you get 60 frames, on the consoles it's going to be running at 30 frames per second.

The definitive version.

Ein Bear

It sucks that this is even in doubt, I don't know what EA are doing with this game. A PS360 racing game sure as shit should run at 60fps on PC/next-gen consoles. A 30fps cap is mental.

pixelpushr

Neo Member
It's hard to tell anything from these next gen videos since the compression ruins the image quality. I'd love to see at least the bigger game sites like IGN, Gamespot, Polygon etc. offer high quality videos that actually come close to matching the quality of the next -gen graphics. Looking forward to the game though.

If it hadn't been locked at 30fps on PC as well then I'm sure the studio would have stepped forward and clarified that it was in fact 60fps before now.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Underground 3 could include daytime as well, silly man! It would print them so much money, that game had a following not too far behind San Andreas amongst people I know.

Restricted frame rates and PC should not even be in the same damn sentence.

Yup. When they provide a fps cap as an option it's cool, but when they enforce it.. oh boy, do those developers have no idea about what PC gaming is about.

Having the ability to upgrade to faster hardware, maybe even years down the line, and get better framerates is a major advantage of PC over consoles. Taking that away reeks of incompetence and ignorance.

Skeff

Maybe because all rumors about capped 30fps came out from one Eurogamer interview that didnt even specified that PC version is capped?

I'm sure it's been clarified since then a few times due to "AllDrive" Don't get me wrong I hope the PC can go higher than 30fps, but it most certainly was locked at 30

I'm sure it's been clarified since then a few times due to "AllDrive" Don't get me wrong I hope the PC can go higher than 30fps, but it most certainly was locked at 30

Not that I know of. All articles about the cap point to the eurogamer article as the source. There hasn't been any further clarification.

Additionally there's this: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/need_..._speed_rivals_will_look_subtly_different.html

VideoGamer.com went hands-on with both the PC and PlayStation 4 versions earlier this week, with the latter running at a smooth 30FPS.

The Xbox One version is not yet thought to have been shown.

^ This implies the 30FPS cap applies only to the PS4 version.

Tankshell

I don't understand why people keep saying this game looks gorgeous. It looks pretty much the same (to my eye) as the previous NFS games. If you put this video next to a video taken from NFS:MW or NFS:HP and said they were all from the same game, I honestly would not question it.

R1CHO

I don't understand why people keep saying this game looks gorgeous. It looks pretty much the same (to my eye) as the previous NFS games. If you put this video next to a video taken from NFS:MW or NFS:HP and said they were all from the same game, I honestly would not question it.

Yup, i don't get the it either. MW looked great, and with a more interesting environment imo.

ViciousDS

Banned
Underground 3 could include daytime as well, silly man! It would print them so much money, that game had a following not too far behind San Andreas amongst people I know.

Underground 2 = the best NFS of last generation for me and all of my friends because of the open world and the insane amount of customization going into the cars.

Plus there was no Lambo's, McLarens or any Supercars in the underground series, it was all about taking stock street cars and turning them into speed machines.

nubbe

Some games are capped @ 30FPS on PC...

QcJmcDx.jpg

VVV Mars VG

Can anyone ask TeamVVV if it's confirmed?

Nothing is ever confirmed till it hits the shops, I remember playing an early version of Shift and saying it was great, then when the final version hit the shops it had completely different dumbed down handling.

To clarify I spoke to a developer and asked about PC frame-rate, triple screen and wheel compatibility. I was informed PC frame-rate should not be restricted but the console versions would be at 30fps with the 1080p PS4 version on display. Nobody could confirm the other questions but it was all expected to be in there.

The tablet was an interesting surprise, in the way it interacted live with the gameplay rather than just being a gimmick but until we have a final version its impossible to know how worthwhile all of that is to the experience.

Can anyone ask TeamVVV if it's confirmed?

Someone did. From the youtube comments:

just need a second confirmation, PC Version of NFS Rivals has no frame rate (aka fps) cap? so i can run the game at 120 or more fps if my computer can handle it? please reply

Team VVV: I spoke to the developer, the PC version should be uncapped unlike the consoles. Of course that can all change but I will be testing the PC version at launch.

edit whoa I see "VVV Mars VG" has posted in the thread and he likely IS "Team VVV" so consider my post moot and read his post instead: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87299707&postcount=36

It's 30 fps after all... http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Need-...ivals-30-Fps-Lock-PC-erste-PC-Bilder-1097820/

Machine translation:

As we now know from first hand, Electronic Arts also provides the PC version of Need for Speed​​: Rivals for a 30-FPS limiter. A real sense of speed is not so - even if the frame rate remains constant. As it is with the appearance of the PC version, we show in two downsampling screenshots.

Also the graphics are kinda disappointing:

But next-gen looks different. The graphics remains comparatively muddy despite maximum details and downsampling to 3,840 times 2,400 image Punken .

"Rumor"?

Why the hell is this even a rumour?

Why the hell is not locking down effects/visuals of PC versions of games to suit console capabilities a "rumor"?

This gen JUST got started.....

edit: So it's not even a rumor?

Top Bottom