• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: XB1/PS4 launches good for Nintendo too

From the investor presentation:
"Other companies will launch new consoles (in the overseas markets at the end of this year), but I think they focus on targeting highly skilled users. Therefore, in that sense, though the competition will heat up because new game consoles will come out and there will be a 'war of the game consoles' played out in media articles, we wonder if the target user will actually be the same.
"The games available at the end of this calendar year, 'Super Mario 3D World,' 'Wii Party U,' 'Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games,' 'Wii Sports Club' and 'Wii Fit U,' all lean more toward family use, and we are targeting those who bought Wii and would be interested in the Wii U offerings. That is slightly different than what other companies are aiming for.

"Thus, in the sense that we attract consumers interested in this category of video games, I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us because they energize the video game industry as a whole."

Despite lacking a core appeal this Christmas, though, Iwata claims that Nintendo has "a number of Wii U games for next year that greatly appeal to highly skilled users".
Via Videogamer

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
*puts arm around Iwata*

'There's something you might want to know about the Wii audience, and where it's gone...'

MYE

LMAO at shooting its own fanbase.

How is acknowledging that 3DWorld, Party U and Mario&Sonic are family friendly games therefore their gamble this christmas, shooting anyone or anything down?
Its the most obvious observation ever made.

BlackJace

I find nothing wrong with what he said as a whole, especially the part about a possible reinvigoration of the industry.
Though that doesn't mean that they should expect the road to get easier from here.

SmokyDave

"Other companies will launch new consoles (in the overseas markets at the end of this year), but I think they focus on targeting highly skilled users... ...we wonder if the target user will actually be the same.
Insert a gif of a cheeky child laughing just here. I can't be arsed to find one.

daxgame

Because he said that 'Super Mario 3D World,' 'Wii Party U,' 'Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games,' 'Wii Sports Club' and 'Wii Fit U,' all lean more toward family use ?
But it's true ?

Btw, doesn't seem the strategy is working too well, heh

I don't see that logic. Also, insulting your own fanbase lol.

It's not like families are buying their stuff now... why would they buy their stuff after they launch? Because of Mario Kart?

Imtey

Banned
Surely these investors don't actually believe this bullshit? Haha this is embarrasing, what happened ninty

Ie: when the demographic you lost to mobile sees that the new consoles don't have any casual stuff, they will suddenly go and buy a wiiu and it suddenly exists to them?

No.

daripad

Other companies will launch new consoles (in the overseas markets at the end of this year), but I think they focus on targeting highly skilled users.

lol Nintendo. So you don't care about highly skilled users. Fine.

emb

Haha, some amusing spin.

Hope the bit about games for 'skilled' users refers to more than just what we know about though. I like the idea of it. Guessing it just means Smash, DK, Bayo, and X. Which actually isn't that bad.

faridmon

What world does this guy live in?

He's the next Krazy Ken and his future will likely end up the same.

You seem bitter.

What he said doesn't seem that offensive. They are targeting a different market, they may have missed the market, but there is no way Those two Next-Gen consoles will have a huge effect on it in the longer run.

Copenap

I'm just glad he didn't say that back in the days when I was a fierce Nintendo soldier in the great N64-PSone warz, would have killed me...

dcx4610

Confirmation that Nintendo only cares about kids, families and casuals unless you needed more proof.

Get Iwata out of there.

mantidor

Do people really believe all families are at the whim of their teenage kid that will force them into a PS4/X1 decision?

who are they shooting? people insecure about consoles being family entertainment?

Gaz_RB

I think while some of his statements are silly, he does make a good point. With the buzz about the PS4 and XB1, people who didn't really know about the Wii U are going to be thinking "Hmm, I guess a new generation is starting, I'll pick up Nintendo's next gen console." Parents are going to want to buy a "next gen" console for their kids, and the Wii U would be right up there alley. I can see this next gen holiday hooplah working out favorably for Nintendo.

Gonff

Banned
It's like people here have selective reading. Iwata is saying that this holiday, MS and Sony are targeting the core audience (more skilled users) while Nintendo is launching casual fare, or easier games.

In no way did they just say all of the Nintendo audience is unskilled. At all.

Mariolee

Even if XB1/PS4 does cater to more "skilled" gamers, that's a lot of people Iwata.

We'll see after this holiday though.

You seem bitter.

What he said doesn't seem that offensive. They are targeting a different market, they may have missed the market, but there is no way Those two Next-Gen consoles will have a huge effect on it in the longer run.

There's nothing offensive or wrong about what he said. He's specifically targeting a different market this holiday, which is pretty obvious and understandable.

But he could say "water is wet" and people would call him out for being wrong, a complete moron, and that he should be fired."

MYE

"Iwata suggests investors to give up hope forever"

What world does this guy live in?

He's the next Krazy Ken and his future will likely end up the same.

Insert a gif of a cheeky child laughing just here. I can't be arsed to find one.

Surely these investors don't actually believe this bullshit? Haha this is embarrasing, what happened ninty

Anyone care to elaborate, or is this thread a string of people trying to outwit each other with one sentence jokes and pot shots?

He is saying "we are betting on the fact that we have the most family friendly offerings this Christmas to hopefully differentiate ourselves from our new competitors" .
Uh, Its true. If this is a retarded business decision or a smart one remains to be seen, but this is a painfully obvious description of their plans this holiday.

mclem

lol Nintendo. So you don't care about highly skilled users. Fine.

It's quite possible to *care* about a demographic you're not *focussing* on. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft *care* about the family market, too, even though they're not focussing on it at launch (Sony has Knack, does MS have anything family-oriented?)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
He's right. I believe this big "next gen is now" message will help, more than hurt. It will create a momentum for the medium, a need to upgrade. And Nintendo now has familiar franchises at an affordable price. I also believe in the family chord around Christmas, and in Mario Cat 3D World outstanding appeal among kids.

kmax

..all lean more toward family use, and we are targeting those who bought Wii and would be interested in the Wii U offerings. That is slightly different than what other companies are aiming for.

The majority that bought the Wii have moved on to mobile, aren't aware what the Wii U is, a combination of the two, or are simply waiting out for better games to come along.

If Nintendo wants to have a hell's chance with the Wii U now that next gen is around the corner, they're going to have to fight hard. Marketing, games and price drops. It's war out there, so they need to do what they need to do to at least get competitive.

leadbelly

Banned
You seem bitter.

The audience they are targeting have moved on to other things. If they want any hope of reaching that audience they need to drop the price to $249.99.

hamchan

I think while some of his statements are silly, he does make a good point. With the buzz about the PS4 and XB1, people who didn't really know about the Wii U are going to be thinking "Hmm, I guess a new generation is starting, I'll pick up Nintendo's next gen console." Parents are going to want to buy a "next gen" console for their kids, and the Wii U would be right up there alley. I can see this next gen holiday hooplah working out favorably for Nintendo.

Though step 1 for Nintendo is making sure the parents know Nintendo's next gen console even exists.

Anth0ny

Iwata doesn't care about hardcores.

Wii U is going to get killed this holiday. Casuals don't care about Wii Fit.

Ishida

Banned
I seriously can't believe Nintendo thinks the Wii audience will be interested in the Wii U's offerings (At least the current ones).

I'm not sure you can still play the simplicity card Mr. Iwata. Though Wii remotes can be used on the Wii U, the Gamepad is the main input method and one of those complicated gizmos that families have a hard time wrapping their heads around. Of course I'm being facetious, but that was the knock Nintendo had against standard controllers last gen, wasn't it?

SmokyDave

Anyone care to elaborate, or is this thread a string of people trying to outwit each other with one sentence jokes and pot shots?

He is saying "we are betting on the fact that we have the most family friendly offerings this Christmas to hopefully differentiate ourselves from our new competitors" .
Uh, Its true. If this is a retarded business decision or a smart one remains to be seen, but this is a painfully obvious description of their plans this holiday.
Ah, dude. It shouldn't take a 12 hour tutorial to figure out why his comment came off as funny.

We all know Nintendo pitches for the kids and families first & foremost, but his unfortunate wording is an obvious source of mirth.

Gaz_RB

Though step 1 for Nintendo is making sure the parents know Nintendo's next gen console even exists.

That's why I think it'll help that next gen is more officially starting. Parents will be more likely to "search" for Nintendo's next gen offering, knowing that the other consoles are out. Hopefully it will help make up for Nintendo's depressing marketing.

Top Bottom