• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: On PC, we should have been building something like Steam

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From VentureBeat:

VentureBeat said:
“Valve is right down the street from us,” Spencer noted. “They’ve done a great job of keeping the PC ecosystem strong at a time where I don’t mind saying that we could have been more focused on what was going on in PC gaming.”
VentureBeat said:
Windows gaming is the other major digital games platform with the Windows App Store, which first appeared with the rollout of Windows 8 in August 2012. But Spencer admits that Microsoft has neglected PC gaming, even going so far as to say that it should’ve been creating their platform in Steam’s likeness.

“We were probably too focused purely on console,” Spencer admitted. “With Steam, [Valve has] done an amazing job of building this thing that, in a lot of ways, we should have been building as well at Microsoft.”
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/06/m...indows-gaming-should-be-like-steam-interview/

Darklord

Banned
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Microsoft had their chance and every time they promised PC support they'd end up screwing it over.

Lime

You also shouldn't have picked up all the PC developers back in the early 2000's, force them to make Xbox games, and then proceed to gut them.

Deadbeat

Banned
Dont worry guys. They are gonna make an attempt to catch up to valve and fuck over treat PC gamers even worse better than GFWL.

Nokterian

Yeah a little bit late microsoft. GFWL is a carve on your grave what it doesn't mean for PC gamers. Thank god there removing it from a lot of games.

Dukey

Banned
Mobile phones. Tablets. Browsers. Music hardware. PC gaming. I'm sensing a pattern. Maybe if you'd made someone that had vision the CEO, you wouldn't be constantly caught flat-footed.

Syf

Banned
Microsoft is always slow to catch on it seems. It doesn't anticipate trends very well at all.

Derrick01

Banned
On behalf of PC gamers everywhere let me say please keep staying focused on consoles. PC gaming is doing amazing without Microsoft's meddling.

Captain Hindsight strikes again. Microsoft might also want to be aware that they should have invented smartphones, tablets, internet search databases, video game consoles, flat-screen televisions, and the Walkman.

Anyway, they already poked a bit with Games for Windows Live and the Windows Store to try and establish a beachhead in the "Steam Arena", and failed so miserably that even Origin is having a nice, deep belly-laugh at them. The only thing they managed to accomplish was convincing Valve they need a "Plan B" in case the time comes to abandon ship on Windows and ferment an extreme consumer discontent with their services among PC gamers.

They don't have any feet left to shoot if they try again.

solarus

They better fucking support steam then instead of trying to segment pc gaming further, I don't need some new hideous offspring of gfwl and I don't want to buy games through the windows app store.

Atolm

Microsoft, always late to the party.

They see someone earning nice dollars with the console bussiness. "Cool, let's make one ourselves!!!"
They see someone earning nice dollars with the iPod. "Cool, let's make the Zune!!"
They see someone earning nice dollars with smartphones and tablets. "Cool, here it goes with Windows Phone!"
They see someone earning nice dollars with DD services. "Cool, let's make our own DD store!!"

Repeat ad nauseam.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So let me get this straight. After gutting their PC studios and running their PC games platform into the ground, they're now saying they need to refocus on PC and create a viable ecosystem.

Cool.

okayfrog

Banned
Seeing as how they eventually came ahead and made profit with the Xbox 360, I wouldn't say they focused too much on consoles. They focused just enough to make it profitable. That being said, even now isn't such a great time to look at PC gaming with the Xbone about to come out.

Man, a few slices of humble pie and the apologies come out for all sorts of things I guess. I appreciate the words and all, but I'll still be ignoring your games business ventures.

Also slightly funny that there isn't a single named reference to GFWL anywhere in the article, and instead focuses on the Windows 8 store.

Ok ok I have lost count of how many times I have seen Microsoft go "we neglected the PC, but we are going to get back into it, honest guys really we are totally this time".

At this point Microsoft could announce it is scrapping their console and concentrating 100% on the PC platform and no one would believe them or even care,

Binabik15

Why would I want something like Steam when I could enjoy the benefits and features of Games For Windows LI-ah shit I can't type this.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Microsoft, always late to the party.

They see someone earning nice dollars with the console bussiness. "Cool, let's make one ourselves!!!"
They see someone earning nice dollars with the iPod. "Cool, let's make the Zune!!"
They see someone earning nice dollars with smartphones and tablets. "Cool, here it goes with Windows Phone!"
They see someone earning nice dollars with DD services. "Cool, let's make our own DD store!!"

Repeat ad nauseam.
Being late wouldn't be as big an issue if they actually knew how to take the features people like from those things and make something better.

MS would charge for it and it wouldn't work.

Or it *would* work and destroy PC gaming with the creation of more walled gardens and scant-consumer-choice-bullshit "ecosystems".

Microsoft already tried that. And failed.

Hell, they fucked up so hard, they only had ONE MAN, ONE SINGLE PROGRAMMER, on the project to get Games for Windows Live working on the PC.

I'm not joking. You know why it failed? Because they didn't give enough of a shit about it. They figured people would buy it no matter what.

Hell, here's a fun fact: Your Games for Windows Live game serial number? Try it in ANY OTHER GFWL game. It will work. Fallout 3 activating Kane & Lync? Sure! Batman Arkham Asylum activating The Club? Go ahead!

It was tested so little because Microsoft could not have been any more snooty about assuming PC gamers would love getting Xbox achievements.

But instead you tried to turn it into a closed platform with your sad excuse you call G4WL and asked for a monthly fee for online play, and you failed miserably in doing so.

Windows gaming is the other major digital games platform with the Windows App Store

XOCUblS.jpg

Nothing more than a joke.

Top Bottom