• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyscourse - Kickstarter - survival game w/ focus on story decisions - incl Steam key

kuppy

f05714ea73d04011ddf74gxstz.png

A PC survival game like you’ve never seen. Emergent story, group psychology, and the struggle to endure, in the absurd Owlchemy style.

Kickstarter
by Owlchemy Labs

$40,000 goal - PC, Mac, Linux
funding possible until Friday Dec 6, 5:13pm CET

$15 for a DRM-free copy and one Steam key

What is Dyscourse?
At Owlchemy Labs, we’d played enough resource management-centric survival games to know that we wanted to make something different and focus on the human element. We want to explore people at their best, their worst, and everything in between. Dyscourse focuses on the interactions, tough decisions, bonds, and betrayals of a small group of survivors. What's a greater threat to the survivors: the dangers of the unforgiving island they’ve been cast upon, or the threat of their fellow man?

Story
Playthroughs on a single scenario in Dyscourse yield vastly different player-stories depending on how you play. If you and 10 friends play one scenario, it’s likely that you’ll each end up a vastly different course of events. Your buddy might be telling you how his group crashed and burned by Day 5, while you managed to get 3 survivors safely to rescue by day 10. Your choices directly determine who does or does not make it out alive in the end.

We not only make the claim to have expansive and dynamic story branching, but are subscribing to that as a core part of our design philosophy. With other narrative driven games, choices can certainly be presented to the player, but the stark realities of game development significantly limit the amount to which a choice can affect the playthrough. In many games, you have expensive voice acting, as well as large 3d environments created by huge teams of artists and level designers. It's simply not feasible to build 10 or 20 different fully-featured environments, only to have a playthrough only reveal a fraction of the content, so every choice ends up looping back to the same core story beats, with slight amounts of customization to make players feel like their choices make some kind of difference. It's the reality of content constraints.

Dyscourse, however, turns that whole problem on its head. We can provide a dynamic story space that branches wildly because we aren't constrained to needing specific voice acting content, or the manual creation of separate new environments for each scene that we want to play out in the game. We use the whole island as our narrative playground, and with new content being driven by text (which is inexpensive and quick), we can allow for tons of different playthroughs with different storylines at a fraction of the time and cost. We think that’s pretty novel and really freaking awesome.

Gameplay
When it comes to the actual gameplay, Dyscourse is not merely a glorified Choose Your Own Adventure story. We’re focusing in on compelling narrative that drives interesting gameplay through multiple innovative mechanics.

We’ve built out an AI interaction system, complete with sneaking, hunting, projectile weaponry, and fight-or-flight mechanisms.

Additionally, the island you crash land on is extremely large and, unfortunately, you didn’t think to bring your map to said random island. How unprepared! Thankfully, you have an excellent memory. The ability to recall events and locations stored within the murky depths of your brain is one of the key ways we allow you to navigate our world efficiently.

If you’ve been to a place, you toss down what we call a ‘memory marker.’ Once you’ve placed one or more of these markers, you can pull up your Mind Map and recall that location, which lays down a convenient set of mental footsteps, allowing you to retrace your steps to that prior location. If one of the other characters has been to or has seen a specific location, they too can suggest an outing to that location, and lead you along their own mental path via placed footsteps. Excellent!

$40.000?
A game like this definitely costs more than $40,000 to make, you’re right. We’ve been able to utilize money from sales of prior game sales but we need some extra help to reach the required amount of money to make this game possible. Also Space Marines.
Looks fantastic!
Sort of goes into the direction of (The) Flight of the Phoenix for me which I would be perfectly fine with. Their premise through out the description sounds very promising, still doable and thought-out, the team seems pretty charming to me so all in all I trust them with their idea. And yeah, the art style is just beautiful.

Ledsen

Sounds very much like that game from a recent indie jam where you "managed" a small band of survivors sitting around a campfire. In fact that first screenshot looks like a remake of it in a different art style.

kuppy

indieplanecrash.png

Tim Schafer, Edmund McMillen, and more indies crash land in Dyscourse!
So what the heck is this? “Indie Plane Crash” is a new bonus scenario featuring the story of a group of indie game developers who crash landed on their way to a conference. This group of amazingly talented creatives realizes that while technically talented, they’re utterly useless in survival situations.

The cast of characters so far confirmed to be marooned include:
  • Tim Schafer (Psychonauts, Broken Age / Double Fine)
  • Edmund McMillen (Super Meat Boy / Team Meat)
  • Phil Tibitoski (Octodad / Young Horses)
  • Alexander Bruce (Antichamber / Independent)
  • Ron Carmel (World of Goo / 2D Boy)
  • Robin Hunicke (Journey, thatgamecompany / Funomena)
  • Ichiro Lambe (Aaaaa! / Dejobaan Games)
  • Adam Saltsman (Canabalt, Hundreds / Semi Secret Software)
  • Will Stallwood (Auditorium / Cipher Prime)
  • Rami Ismail (Super Crate Box, Ridiculous Fishing / Vlambeer)

[...] We’re very excited to be building Dyscourse, including this amazing new bonus scenario, which we’ll be bundling with the final game at no extra cost -- but this is where we need you.

Help fund Dyscourse and spread the word so we can make all of this a reality!

That' freaking amazing, loving the idea.

17 days left
~33% funded

come on, this is way to low right now and the goal isn't overpriced either

kuppy

Update: Gameplay Video

Looking damn awesome.

They still haven't reached 50% although they are in the middle of their campaign, so help is needed! I think I will higher my pledge soon if things keep on stagnating.

Radogol

Guys, don't let this fail! It's like Telltale evolved, the future of interactive drama. Don't make the 884 backers so far sad pandas, I beg of you!

sflufan

Banned
I backed it, but it's more than likely going to be futile effort.

Once again, I state that anyone considering a KS campaign should have avoided this next-gen launch period like it was infected with bubonic plague.

OwlchemyLabs

Neo Member
Hey all! (And Kuppy)

Alex here from Owlchemy -- thanks for posting all of these updates, Kuppy! Wow, that's so nice of you.

We're all super excited to have passed our goal -- WOOOOO! Thanks for believing in us, and I've passed along some of the great comments above to the artist and the rest of the team. Rock on. If you have any questions, lemme know.

kuppy

Nice to see you here, Alex.
I just think your game is so inspiring and full of creativity, so it was clear for me to push it some more on GAF.

Hope you all have a big party tomorrow.

kuppy

They are in closed beta now, giving out a 3 day snippet to backers, with NDA.
Played through it once and liked it a lot, not so sure about the choices I made however. Great seeing it all come along, seemed really polished to me, looking even more forward to the final game now.

New target launch date is early 2015 (February).

Top Bottom