• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 999 | VLR

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
999-banner.jpg

I loved the Ace Attorney trilogy on my DS but for some reason I never got around to playing 999. People haven't stopped clamoring about it, so I figured I'd wait for that iOS port that was supposed to come out. Well VLR Vita went free on PS+ and I have been itching for some solid adventuring so it was time to see what the fuss was about somehow. I have sadly long since sold my DS, so I figured I'd read one of those "Let's Play" things.

I managed to find this incredible Let's Play that is catching me up on the 999 story and I'm really digging it. The great sprite art and music have drawn me in and the plot, while still very early on, is super compelling. I feel like I owe the LP dude money - that's how good the site is. I never "got" the whole LP thing until now.

I'll update this thread as I make my way through the series!

PLEASE AVOID ALL SPOILERS, THANKS!

Keropon

Have a nice TRICK.

Man, this is one of my favorite adventure series, it's solid, has a really good OST, likeable characters and setting...

I hope to read your reactions as the story goes on... specially when playing VLR.

Two of the best games I've ever played. Savor them.

I really would recommend buying 999, it isn't all that expensive and it absolutely demands to be played directly. Seriously.

Korigama

If you actually play this for yourself, you should really just get it for DS since you already have one, not bother with the iOS port (which really doesn't count as playing it).

Necrovex

Even if you were using a Let's Play for VLR, I wouldn't tell you to stop it, but for 999, I feel compell to say stop it. This is mostly due to the atmosphere and the horror-esque atmosphere that VLR lacks.

But it's better to experience 999 in some form (let's play for the DS version, or playing it on the DS. Fuck the iOS for multidue of reasons) before playing VLR.

Kind of surreal to have a LTTP thread that's about a Let's Play versus actually playing, but any way you can experience 999 the better.

VLR is a much smoother "playing" experience, regardless.

Depending on how the guy structures the "Let's Play" and how soon the iOS port is released, you miiiiiiiiiight be able to start playing the game and aiming for the endings he hasn't gotten yet.

These games have to get at least one LTTP a week. It's great that so many people are experiencing these games for the first time. Wish I could experience them for the first time again.

Dachande

I have a Vita and am very interested in VLR, but I don't have my DS anymore and don't know if I need to play 999 first?

How linked are they? Can I enjoy VLR as a standalone thing? I was really annoyed when I read that the iOS one basically removed the fucking game so I don't know if I want to 'play' that...

I have a Vita and am very interested in VLR, but I don't have my DS anymore and don't know if I need to play 999 first?
You MUST play 999 first, to get the full enjoyment out of VLR.

Even if you have to go iOS, it's absolutely worth playing 999 first. With one super crazyballs important exception, the "game" part consists of absolutely worthless puzzles that nobody will miss.

jon bones

If you actually play this for yourself, you should really just get it for DS since you already have one, not bother with the iOS port (which really doesn't count as playing it).

I edited the OP - I sold my DS ages ago.

How linked are they? Can I enjoy VLR as a standalone thing? I was really annoyed when I read that the iOS one basically removed the fucking game so I don't know if I want to 'play' that...

I hear 999 makes VLR a million times crazier. The LP in my OP is really good. It has the text of the game, plus the cutscenes & links to the OST and when to play certain songs. It's very well done.

You can enjoy VLR standalone (not as much as you would otherwise, mind you), but it would completely ruin 999.

999 is mandatory as far as I'm concerned.

Korigama

It's very ill-advised to play VLR before 999. Theoretically, you could play VLR stand-alone, but the experience would mean far more if you played 999 first.

And yes, it has to be the DS version, and all of the endings (you don't necessarily have to do the coffin ending, which is just a cut-off version of
the true ending
, but I wound up getting it first and enjoyed how trippy the preview trailer for a different ending was afterward).

I would advise this order, if indeed choosing to forgo the coffin ending:
Knife --> Axe --> Sub (go through door 3 for additional story to reach it, rather than picking door 2 manually, which always automatically leads to it) --> Safe (save this for second to last, no matter what) --> True
; just go for the coffin ending before
safe
if wishing to do it anyway.

-Horizon-

You definitely need to play 999 if you can rather than just watch it being played.

I would tell you "hey, get a 3DS, then you can play 999 and VLR" but then we still have the save corruption bug in the 3DS version of VLR... I mean I haven't met the bug during my playtime but whatever, don't take the risk.

You definitely need to play 999 if you can rather than just watch it being played.

I would tell you "hey, get a 3DS, then you can play 999 and VLR" but then we still have the save corruption bug in the 3DS version of VLR... I mean I haven't met the bug during my playtime but whatever, don't take the risk.

The eShop version doesn't have the bug.

Jintor

I tried my best to get into VLR but I just couldn't do it. It was too boring for me and I hated the characters and voice acting.

999 and VLR are really end-heavy, but ultimately I don't think you should play through it if you can't deal with it moment-to-moment at the beginning since you won't have the necessary attachment to really care about the story.

Stop what you're doing right now! A Let's Play is NOT the way to experience 999, nor is the iOS version. Both completely kill the main twist.

If you live in the US, you can easily find a DS and the game for $40.

jon bones

after a lifetime of owning every single generation of Nintendo handheld since the fatboy I got when I was 6... i finally jumped ship #VitaBro

Korigama

I tried my best to get into VLR but I just couldn't do it. It was too boring for me and I hated the characters and voice acting.
In all fairness, the cast in 999 was considerably better than the one in VLR. Can't comment on voice acting without knowing whether you tried the English or Japanese voices, though (Zero III alone justifying the former). The scenario was also much better in 999 (the horror and tension associated with it were heavily toned down in VLR as well).

-Horizon-

The eShop version doesn't have the bug.
That's because they make it so you can't save in the problem areas of the game. So its more a work around than a fix.
I mean I'm not complaining. Just that the 3rd game (whenever it comes out) better not have anything like that happening in the first place again for whatever system its on.

after a lifetime of owning every single generation of Nintendo handheld since the fatboy I got when I was 6... i finally jumped ship #VitaBro
Well since you don't have a DS or intend to get a 3DS...you should go find a cheap DS. Seriously, play the game as it was made. No lets plays.

jon bones

guys, i'm not buying another DS. gonna power through with the LP.

Probably a bad idea because of Ace Attorney 5 and all. It's pretty amazing so far and I'm only halfway done.

yeah, a real shame i won't get to play Apollo Justice or AA5, but i can't justify owning two handhelds.

Korigama

yeah, a real shame i won't get to play Apollo Justice or AA5, but i can't justify owning two handhelds.
Would still recommend reconsidering the decision not to get a 3DS for Zero Escape and Ace Attorney. And just mentioning this, but the impact of why DS was chosen for 999 will be something you'll miss out on if you don't play it for yourself.

You're making a huge mistake by not playing 999 on a DS or a 3DS.

But oh well, I hope you enjoy it anyway. Just a huge shame is all. It's one of those things that absolutely can't be communicated through a Let's Play, though.

Nibel

Play 999
Play VLR

Welcome to Mind-Fucking-Blown-City! You'll love it, I had a similar background as you and enjoyed those two

wheapon

Definitely play 999. Very tense and exciting with a sci-fi flair. I don't know about VLR, though. The setting just felt really bland and it lacked the urgency of the first game--that said I still enjoyed it and it's worth going through to see for yourself.

Well if that's what you want to do, but know there are some very heavy story implications completely based around the idea of two screens, something that a let's play can't convey.

You don't have a single friend or family member you can borrow a DS off of?

There's stuff in VLR that assumes you played 999 and this game will NOT explain it at all, you'll just be lost with several plot stuff.

Some of the best plot twists are related to 999.

You could get most of it, but let's say this is if you played AA3 before 1-2.

jon bones

Well if that's what you want to do, but know there are some very heavy story implications completely based around the idea of two screens, something that a let's play can't convey.

You don't have a single friend or family member you can borrow a DS off of?

i mean, i know a cool guy at the office with a 3DS but i don't think our relationship is there yet...

i've heard the "twist" loses a lot of it's meaning this way and i understand this - this is more of a prelude to VLR for me

KLonso

Can someone actually explain why watching a Let's Play of 999 isn't satisfactory? I really don't want to go out and get a copy of 999 if I don't have to, but I still want to experience the story before playing VLR on my Vita.

Can someone actually explain why watching a Let's Play of 999 isn't satisfactory? I really don't want to go out and get a copy of 999 if I don't have to, but I still want to experience the story before playing VLR on my Vita.

The only thing we can say is having two screens ties into the story, something that wouldn't be apparent in an LP unless the person was actually filming him/her playing it and not capturing it (and who wants to watch that?)

KLonso

The only thing we can say is having two screens ties into the story, something that wouldn't be apparent in an LP unless the person was actually filming him/her playing it and not capturing it (and who wants to watch that?)

Oh, I hadn't clicked on the link the OP, and assumed it was a youtube link. So if I have no problem watching a youtube Let's Play with both screens, then I don't lose too much by not actually playing the game?

Wensih

Why wouldn't you be able to see a second screen using screen capturing hardware?

jon bones

The LP in the OP is really good. The guy writes out all the dialogue with sprites of the speaker next to the quotes, takes screen shots, includes links to tracks of the soundtrack and tells you when to start / stop them and has youtube videos of the cut-scenes. It's not quite playing the game, but it's a damned good alternative.

Oh, I hadn't clicked on the link the OP, and assumed it was a youtube link. So if I have no problem watching a youtube Let's Play with both screens, then I don't lose too much by not actually playing the game?

What's in the OP is a written LP, which is even worse. I'm not sure if filmed LPs of it even exist, and if they do, they're probably poor quality.

Why wouldn't you be able to see a second screen using screen capturing hardware?

You need to see the physical hardware, something a screen capture wouldn't do.

That's all I'll say.

i keep hearing how good this game is. i have it from PSplus on my vita. is 999 needed? or is it like persona 3 and persona 4, tiny references between the games but no real connection?

This tends to come up in some all 999/VLR threads so...

iFjk8Dlsx5rZd.gif

Seriously. If you don't want to, fine. Just know that's always the advice GAF gives. Always. Ya dillweeds.

i keep hearing how good this game is. i have it from PSplus on my vita. is 999 needed? or is it like persona 3 and persona 4, tiny references between the games but no real connection?

The references are definitely more than "tiny". 999 is pretty much required for full enjoyment, even if it isn't completely required to understand everything.

aravuus

Guess they should have named 999 Zero Escape: 999 or something to make it more clear. VLR is a direct sequel to 999.

These LTTP threads are making me want to replay the games. Maybe I will, after I've finished with the games and VNs and such I'm currently occupied with.

Top Bottom