• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae |OT| It's not nice to stare.

Faustek

530zkIG.png

Premise:
You play as the girl named Misa chasing after your High school friend Suzuka who wields a demonic blade which she uses to summon hordes after hordes of demons to fight you off in your chase. Can you catch her before the bewitched blade is restored to it's full power?

Fight your way through your enemies with hand-to-hand attacks or draw your blade and unleash ancient Technics to decimate your foes.

Basic Info:

• Genre:Brawler

• Developer:ZENITH BLUE

• Platform: Windows

• Release Date: Already out

• Localizer: Playism

• Stages:5 Levels

• Combos:The higher the value the more you gain, broken by damage received.

• Modes: Easy, Normal, Hard, Ultra hard(Must beat Hard mode to unlock)
Requirements:

• CPU:Intel CORE2 2GHz or better (recommended)
  • Memory: 2GB or more 
  • HDD: 200MB or more Graphics: Directx 9.0c (Shader Model3.0 or better)
  • Geforce 9600GT or better (recommended)
  • Sound:Directx 9.0c Compatible Sound Card
  • Controller: Keyboard or gamepad *Gamepad recommended
Sidenote Supported Gamepads:
  • Elecom, Xbox 360, PS3 MJ/Sixaxis

Characters:
jpzZZZB.png

Misa, your go to heroine of the Saga.

y78MLCu.png

Suzuka, your main villain.

Quote from the creator:
Japanese high school girls and Japanese swords.

This combination has been done so many times in manga and anime but it’s not something you see much in games.

This game was created from a desire to enjoy an action game with that classic schoolgirl sword combination as its core.
Official blog

2 minutes of gameplay

Review

For the *ahem* curious, there's a demo available at the Playism page.

Hey all,

We put Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae up on Steam Greenlight today: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195028506

Tizoc

I'm pretty sure there's at least a dozen games that feature sword-weilding highschool girls, fangames or otherwise.
Namely Senran Kagura and Crime Girls

Faustek

I'm pretty sure there's at least a dozen games that feature sword-weilding highschool girls, fangames or otherwise.
Namely Senran Kagura and Crime Girls

I'm pretty sure there exists tons more of this in manga/anime than game adaption.

Wow. Would be nice on the vita. I love them Hack and Slash games.

Thinking the same thing. 5-15m per stage, perfect for otg.

synce

I've been meaning to play this, thanks for reminding me. And perfect timing as I just finished Kagura Z

Tizoc

I'm pretty sure there exists tons more of this in manga/anime than game adaption.
Don't mean we gotta balance it out with video games having them.

Thinking the same thing. 5-15m per stage, perfect for otg.

I like games like that, reminds me of Super Mario 3D Land, let's get Shahid on this ish!

Thanks for the reminder! Meant to get this earlier in the week but forgot. Looks like something you would find on the Simple 2000 series and that makes it a must play for me.

Category G

Neo Member

not bad for shovelware, will buy on Steam.

I wouldn't count on a Steam release if you're interested in it. There's been no word from Playism in regards to them releasing it on Steam, and Valve can be fairly random with actually releasing a game, or getting the developers to go through Greenlight again.

killatopak

Gold Member

I wouldn't count on a Steam release if you're interested in it. There's been no word from Playism in regards to them releasing it on Steam, and Valve can be fairly random with actually releasing a game, or getting the developers to go through Greenlight again.

Thanks. I will try.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, awesome that there's a thread. Definitely check out the game, guys. We worked closely with Zenith Blue to localize the game.

not bad for shovelware, will buy on Steam.

Wow, that's kind of harsh. It's by a really small Japanese indie team. This isn't some shovelware studio. These guys only released the game via Comiket before we helped them localize it.

Faustek

Wow, awesome that there's a thread. Definitely check out the game, guys. We worked closely with Zenith Blue to localize the game.

Was definitely worth the money. Serious question, everyone says its Japanese but isn't Chinese character's on the start screen? Or I worded what fail? :|

Wow, that's kind of harsh. It's by a really small Japanese indie team. This isn't some shovelware studio. These guys only released the game via Comiket before we helped them localize it.

The quality is really something for being a indie game. Really impressed actually. Definitely a studio I'm going to keep tabs on. We need more indies out there and especially serious Asian ones that doesn't suit /d/'s taste.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Was definitely worth the money. Serious question, everyone says its Japanese but isn't Chinese character's on the start screen? Or I worded what fail? :|

The quality is really something for being a indie game. Really impressed actually. Definitely a studio I'm going to keep tabs on. We need more indies out there and especially serious Asian ones that doesn't suit /d/'s taste.

Do you mean the title? Zenith Blue picked really difficult Japanese kanji to resemble a traditional samurai film title.

Shinta

Banned
If this represent the state of japanese indie game.. I just.. bring them more plz

Yeah, looks like it puts almost all indie games I've seen to shame. The combat looks solid.

It's weird how if you're a 2D retro game, you are seen as sophisticated. But if you try to actually make an in depth 3D game, it's "shovelware" despite being far more complex.

Vita version would be great.

Faustek

Yeah, looks like it puts almost all indie games I've seen to shame. The combat looks solid.

It's weird how if you're a 2D retro game, you are seen as sophisticated. But if you try to actually make an in depth 3D game, it's "shovelware" despite being far more complex.

Vita version would be great.

Hah yeah its funny, this is a 3D brawler, a well made one. I think this one is really well made, its just on a few occasions the camera becomes annoying and that's only when you're swamped by enemies and haven't positioned yourself well. But even then its strangely easy to keep tabs on the enemies and escape the danger.

Offtopic: FF:LR I'm stalking you now Shinta.

any more impressions? bad camera kinda is holding me back.

There is a demo. But camera control and positioning is fairly easy, give it 5-10m and one should be used to it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I was sure this was a hentai game before I read the description. Brawler works for me, you have my vote

Faustek

All I need is manual control via stick and a re-center button. Does the game have those?

Yepp, the Camera AI, if you're against a single enemy(boss), starts of focused but once combat is engaged you can freely move it and the repositioning is POV for your character.

I was sure this was a hentai game before I read the description. Brawler works for me, you have my vote

My friends was staring way to hard when I tried this first time...so I asked him if he wanted to try I got in response

WoW she is wearing black panties, I thought only ecchi chicks did that

OTL.....not saying it's a Fan service game, I honestly didn't notice/think about it until he pointed it out but after watching him playing it...yeah if you are into that you can position her to flash you a lot of the time :|

played the demo a bit. got to the boss and got steam rolled. game seems pretty well done. it is quite nicely animated. protag is one sexy thang. them thighs.

ahm. so what does the full game consist of? Is there more than 3 enemy types? is there any more to the combat besides alternating hand to hand with sword attacks? (xxxyyyxxxyyy + RB Y when enemy guards).

thetrin

Any chance getting it on the PS4 as well?

This would be nice. Or the Vita. @thesakediary is "looking" into it atm.

Well, we did announce at Indie Stream that we're working with Sony to bring indie games to PS4, so who knows?

played the demo a bit. got to the boss and got steam rolled. game seems pretty well done. it is quite nicely animated. protag is one sexy thang. them thighs.

ahm. so what does the full game consist of? Is there more than 3 enemy types? is there any more to the combat besides alternating hand to hand with sword attacks? (xxxyyyxxxyyy + RB Y when enemy guards).

The demo gives you a bunch of moves right off the bat so you get a good handle of what the main character is capable of. The main game basically has waves per level, and as you collect points, you can spend said points on new moves, or upgrades to new moves. Some upgrades make a move stronger, while others will add an extra slash to the move.

The game is such that it's in your best interest to get a lot of points early on by eliminating a number of enemies at once, thereby multiplying the number of points you get.

There are more enemies types that appear later in the game, and each of those enemy types has unique attacks and patterns.

use the sword sheathe move when you can. Any enemies that are bleeding (glowing red) will suffer more damage when you sheathe your sword. If you manage to get quite a few enemies into a bleeding state and then sheathe your sword, you can get a massive amount of points for killing them all at the same time.

All I need is manual control via stick and a re-center button. Does the game have those?

It has both!

Faustek

There more enemy types. Some just use a different skin but different behaviour patterns(attacks)
But the amount of Unique enemies? I seriously can't say, 10ish+? I can't remember but they all have different patterns if they don't have the same skin.

The whole game consist of 5 stages.

The combat is set up to actually use the different combos. There are a total of 13 different attacks(including the combos and counters) If you get really really good you can plough through the game using just counters. But that is waaay booring :D

thetrin

Great to hear. Once you get Greenlit, and I'm sure you will, be sure to add cards and achievements!

We worked closely with Nigoro and Petit Depotto to get cards and achievements into both La-Mulana and Unholy Heights, so you can count on that. :)

This looks pretty solid. A step above Proxy Blade, aesthetically. I'll give the demo a shot.

I am really looking forward to trying out Proxy Blade, but I think the strength of Mitsurugi is that they set very realistic goals for themselves and delivered on them.
Going with simple no nonsense stages so that they could focus on the combat system and animations was a smart decision in my opinion.

Proxy Blade seems like it will definitely have more in-depth level design.
Mitsurugi could have went in the same direction, but I am actually glad they did not.

thetrin

I was just checking the Greenlight stats for Mitsurugi, and it looks like we're at 27% to the Top 100 in just 24 hours. This is really fantastic news, but the fight is obviously just beginning.

I'm really happy with the support right now, though. :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I was just checking the Greenlight stats for Mitsurugi, and it looks like we're at 27% to the Top 100 in just 24 hours. This is really fantastic news, but the fight is obviously just beginning.

I'm really happy with the support right now, though. :D

Great to hear. Seems like a shoe-in to me.

It's a shame reading a few of the comments. There needs to be more stuff like this released, and fewer shooters/zombie games.

Oneechanbara w/o the zombies and less costumes, or is there a deeper system I'm not seeing?

Watch the videos. As someone who's actually played Oneechanbara, it's like night and day. Oneechanbara is a mediocre musou game. This looks like a character action game.

Top Bottom