• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's "The Pitch" Wii U commercial.

Shinta

Banned
Pretty much exactly the kind of commercial they need.

Cheesy, sure. But it's not for us. It says exactly what needs to be said though.

Wii U is a new system, it's an upgrade. And it has a new Mario. And your kids would love it for Christmas.

I'm still not sure why they didn't continue with the "We would like to play with you" line of ads given the name of the console is WiiU

Timeaisis

Well, that was cheesy. But hey, advertising to the kids and their parents is what they should've been doing all along.

So there's that, I guess.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Okay I can see what they're trying to do. Targeting the family.
And as the second poster said, it's not for us. We do have that A Link Between Worlds commercial for "us".

Still, NoA needs a marketing overhaul.

TAS

Good. It's cheesy but it get the message across that this is a new system and not an accessory for Wii.

izzyizzyizzy

Neo Member
I was expecting worse. Think this could actually help. I like how they emphasized the "two games included" thing, it will help out families.

Bumhead

Banned
Awful.

Whoever it's for.

Nowhere in the advert does it say it's a new system, and once again the word "upgrade" seems overused for a console that already has an identity crisis with it's predecessor.

8a9EGsP.png

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Holy shit, they really just said "upgrade?"

This is like claiming the Wii U is a Wii accessory and is completely the exact opposite of what they should be going for. Lordy.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I kinda like it :p

It's clear that Nintendo is targeting another demographic, but this helps put the point across of what Wii U is. Cute.

Pastry

Banned
Awful.

Whoever it's for.

Nowhere in the advert does it say it's a new system, and once again the word "upgrade" seems overused for a console that already has an identity crisis with it's predecessor.

Exactly. I think this hits all the wrong notes. The Wii U shouldn't be advertised as an upgrade it's a whole new system. It almost makes it seem like the gamepad is the only thing that's different than the Wii.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Cheesy, sure. But it's not for us. It says exactly what needs to be said though.

Wii U is a new system, it's an upgrade. And it has a new Mario. And your kids would love it for Christmas.

I have to agree with this. That's the kind of message parents want to hear. "Not only will your kids love it, you can spend quality time with them playing games!" Whether that's true or not is obviously up for debate but it's the right pitch for Nintendo to make right now.

Bizazedo

Why are they all standing up in front of the TV when the Mom is focused on for the "simulation of togetherness"?

It also looks like a very poorly designed living room, the couch is dangerously close to the TV and also not pointed at it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
American ads are weird.

georly

Truth. This should have been a commercial last year, not this year. The fact that it took them a year to CLEARLY state this is an upgrade to the wii is a bit disheartening.

daman824

It's a good commercial. I can see a lot of kids wanting to buy the Wii U after seeing this played on nickelodeon, disney channel, or cartoon network.

Bumhead

Banned
Some over reactions here, the commercial is fine.

If one of the Wii U's problems is market confusion that it's a new console and not just an accessory for an old one, then this advert is absolutely not fine at all. Particularly the several mentions of the word "upgrade" and the complete absence of the words "brand new home console from Nintendo".

Top Bottom