• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Coming to Steam as a Retail Release on a New Valve Made Engine

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=17088

Happy Birthday Half-life!

HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY HALF-LIFE! We here at Black Mesa have some big news!

The Big News:
Last year, Black Mesa was one of the first Steam games to be Greenlit by you, our amazing fans. We've had quite a year since then, with a lot happening internally that we haven't been able to talk about... until now. Black Mesa has been given the opportunity to be sold as a retail product on Steam! This is an incredible honor - one we never expected - but also one we found hard to accept.

We never developed Black Mesa with money in mind. Our team is made up of average, hardworking people, and no one joined the team to make money. For us, Black Mesa is purely a labor of love. We believe this philosophy has significantly contributed to the overall quality and feel of the game.

Our decision to sell Black Mesa rests on two key points. One is we believe we can make the game even better by having full access to the Source engine. This lets us tackle and fix limitations instead of working around them. The second is because frankly, our team could really use the financial help.

The Plan:
Soon you'll see Black Mesa available on Steam for a relatively low price. But we aren't dropping all support for the free version. In fact shortly after the Steam release there will be a completely new free version of the game. We also plan to open source our maps and some game assets to the modding community!

Purchasing the Steam version of Black Mesa is more about supporting the team and our efforts than anything else. However, the Steam version will include features that the free version simply can not have. We will be paying careful attention to feedback, and you'll have a very real say in how the final game turns out.

Long-Term Plans and Xen:
We've been overwhelmed by fan anticipation for Xen, and we're excited so many people are eager to conclude the game. To be totally honest however, Xen is still a ways off. Over the past year, we have spent a HUGE amount of time porting the game to a new engine and fixing hundreds of bugs. The work to port to the new engine was not because of the decision to go retail, this was work that had to be done to get Black Mesa onto Steam and support our future plans.

So, please be patient with us as we work to make Xen a stunning and worthy conclusion to Black Mesa. Until Xen is completed, we have multiple interesting additions planned for the Steam version of Black Mesa, which we will announce later on down the road.

Thanks,
The Black Mesa Dev Team

You should really fix your title wording. We aren't taking features away from the free version. The free version of the game has been ported to Source 2013. Right now, that version is functionally equivalent to the released version of Black Mesa we released a year ago. When we got on greenlight, we were forced to move to another engine. Right now, we can't tell you what that engine is due to our licensing agreement. Being on this new engine allows us to change how the engine works, modify tools, etc; things we plain and simply cannot do for the free version. I plan to open source the black mesa code for the free version. I also want the paid version to be open source (only client and server, nothing else) but we need to talk to VALVe about that. We want both versions of the game to be as moddable as possible. I don't have a timetable on that part just yet.

Free version will be on the old engine. Paid on the new engine made with help from Valve. Also the paid version will have new features.

Crowbar if Old

rrs

Source2's first game is a half life game, woot. Also Xen sucked so it's not that much of a loss if it isn't in right away.

Awesome news. I never got around to playing Black Mesa, but it seems like a great mod. Even if we don't get HL3 anytime soon, having a Valve-made Half-Life game again will be a welcome sight.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
HALF LIFE 3 = HALF LIFE 1

post-28553-Steve-Jobs-mind-blown-gif-HD-T-pVbd.gif

Chavelo

Whoa, grats to the BMS team. I may not agree with how they carry themselves PR wise but their hard work definitely needs recognition.

injurai

Banned
Sort of surprised Valve didn't pick up this project sooner considered their close affiliations to the modding community. Better late than never though. Sort of glad I've held off on playing Black Mesa, can't wait for them to finish with Xen.

def sim

I already did a replay through source earlier this year, but I'll gladly do it again if this new engine is any good.

or if it has steam achievements

drproton

I hope they fixed the helicopter AI. That was pretty unfair and brutal.

Also the crashes, but that's pretty obvious.

I would love to know the specifics of a lot of this deal.

Sort of surprised Valve didn't pick up this project sooner considered their close affiliations to the modding community. Better late than never though. Sort of glad I've held off on playing Black Mesa, can't wait for them to finish with Xen.

They do good work, but they never seemed to have the same... spark as slightly more talented teams.

hellocld

Doubtful it'll be Source 2's debut, but I'd think the odds of it being a Source 2 game are pretty good. And if that's the case, wouldn't that mean Valve would be looking to launch/announce their own Source 2 showcase game before it?

In any case, all awesome news. Will definitely be picking this up.

I think they wanted to see that the team could actually ship something first. From what I played of the free version, this is great news.

sn00zer

Literally said WHAT outloud....gawd damn...will be buying....

Im almost certain the steam version will have 0 loading

Grief.exe

My only question would be, how can they reliably and fairly divide up compensation?

There have been so many people working on the project over the years that have come and gone all over the world. Would be a difficult proposition to put it lightly.

I already did a replay through source earlier this year, but I'll gladly do it again if this new engine is any good.

or if it has steam achievements

Delicious Steam Achievements.

Guys, it could be just an updated build of source not open to the community.

Seems likely, especially since they were not even able to put it on Steam unless it was on this new engine. However, they can't really be specific on what the engine is, so it's anyone's guess.

Our hand was forced into moving to a new engine. It is a requirement for us to sell on Steam. A major chunk of work was fixing up our code which did not build after we ported from the old engine (2007). However, being on a new engine that we have code access to allows us to change a ton of stuff.

zma1013

I was wondering when this was going to happen. Black Mesa feels like a legit Valve game, might as well make it one. I'll probably buy it just to support their awesome skills, hopefully they just leave Xen out of it.

No Love

Banned
Unfucking believable. I suspected Valve might hire these guys and make Black MEsa the official Half Life 1 remake, but on a new engine? HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS.

From what I understand, they're still using Source, they just have more control now (probably can see the code and submit/commit bug fixes/ new features).

This has always confused me - as I don't follow the project too closely.

Did Valve just not care that they were monetizing their game? Or they're only monetizing it now and they're allowed to because it's now Valve-sanctioned or something?

I'm think of Nintendo shutting down that Mario site and how different this situation played out.

sprinkles

Good, hopefully this will be a lot better than the source remake
After turning down the AI response time a notch the mod release was one of the best games I played in 2012.

Did Valve just not care that they were monetizing their game? Or they're only monetizing it now and they're allowed to because it's now Valve-sanctioned or something?

I'm think of Nintendo shutting down that Mario site and how different this situation played out.
As a free Mod Valve did not really care. For the payed version Valve will get licensing fees for the engine.

Looking forward for Black Mesa on Source2!

Grief.exe

Our decision to sell Black Mesa rests on two key points. One is we believe we can make the game even better by having full access to the Source engine.

When we got on greenlight, we were forced to move to another engine. Right now, we can't tell you what that engine is due to our licensing agreement. Being on this new engine allows us to change how the engine works, modify tools, etc; things we plain and simply cannot do for the free version.

Sounds like they are on Source2

Did Valve just not care that they were monetizing their game? Or their only monetizing it now and they're allowed because it's now Valve-sanctioned or something?

They were never selling it... until now... when valve gets a cut as well.

Mman235

I hope they've worked on the balance issues since then, but it's nice to hear some news about the Steam release.

Top Bottom